Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tollywobbles 2 Your Lead

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-10, 07:30

2H showed four hearts, and could still have four spades if 4-4-(3 2). 3C was natural. Opponents are a strong young pair, one of whom is coach to a national team. It is the 98th board of a 98-board team event, and your team is in contention for the event. Your lead?

If you know the hand or the other one earlier, then still comment if you feel you can without aftertiming.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   ewj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-February-10, 10:03

Crikey, is something funny going on here? Or were opps genuinely interested in grand. I don't really want to lead a club, that might be a trick for us if partner has qxx. A diamond or a spade....RHO probably has a doubleton diamond, spade might work out badly, only if RHO has 4 of them though. Diamond could be a joke if it's the end of the hand but is declarer really going to take any finesse into us? Stick me down for a spade...

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-10, 10:03

Sounds like East is bidding on a ton of values. I'm gonna go passive with a club and hope that we score two tricks somewhere.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-February-10, 12:56

I'm leading a heart. Jxxx is one of the worst leads in bridge: it picks off way too many holdings. Qxxx may cost one trick, but it is unlikely it blows the entire suit.....dummy would need to have 3 cards in the suit to do that and he has both minors, at least ostensibly. Partner might cooperate and have a useful holding....I had a partner do that once.

A club just seems wrong since the odds are that any two way hook for the Queen will appear to be naturally through me, given that if there is club length in only one hand, it is in dummy.

The diamond is tempting, since it may mislead declarer as to the J and the break, but it is too committal for me, so a heart it is, even tho I am not all that happy with it: it seems the least of a set of bad choices.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-10, 17:27

I probably agree with 9 out of 10 posts by Mikeh on opening leads. Well, since I am posting, this is the 10th.
I don't agree that a heart is safer than a spade here. There are many ways a spade lead could be safe. No opponent has 4 spades and partner has no honour; partner has the T; partner has the Q, ...
Meanwhile, we need quite a bit of help from partner to make a heart lead safe. And while it's true that a heart lead will often give a declarer a 3rd trick in the suit but not the 4th, maybe that is all he needs after setting up dummy's diamonds.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-February-10, 23:00

View Postcherdano, on 2014-February-10, 17:27, said:

I probably agree with 9 out of 10 posts by Mikeh on opening leads. Well, since I am posting, this is the 10th.
I don't agree that a heart is safer than a spade here. There are many ways a spade lead could be safe. No opponent has 4 spades and partner has no honour; partner has the T; partner has the Q, ...
Meanwhile, we need quite a bit of help from partner to make a heart lead safe. And while it's true that a heart lead will often give a declarer a 3rd trick in the suit but not the 4th, maybe that is all he needs after setting up dummy's diamonds.

Is it that clear that declarer isn't 4=4=2=3 or 4=4=3=2? I saw the OP as at least implying that this was possible.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-11, 04:21

I will lead a heart. Looks like the right time to be aggressive and build a trick. Rho is probably at least (54) in the minors.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#8 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-11, 04:47

View Postmikeh, on 2014-February-10, 12:56, said:

Jxxx is one of the worst leads in bridge

You have J98x. That makes a significant difference.

No lead is safe.

Partner will have 2-5 spades, giving the opponents 4-7 spades. The opponents probably have the AK and likely the queen, giving them 2(1)-5(4) non picture cards in spades. I would estimate the probability that partner holds the 10 at around 50%.

So, in those cases, a spade lead is safe.

In addition, it is not unlikely that the spade suit split 3-3 or 3-2 between the opponents with them holding the AKQ, in which case the spade lead is safe too.

In short, put me down for the 3.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-11, 06:27

View Postmikeh, on 2014-February-10, 23:00, said:

Is it that clear that declarer isn't 4=4=2=3 or 4=4=3=2? I saw the OP as at least implying that this was possible.

I agree - my post was meant to list a number of possible layouts that make a spade lead safe.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#10 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-11, 12:16

Lots of interesting comments here, and I agree that no lead is safe. Well, no sane lead anyway. My partner led a spade and declarer claimed, having QTxx AKxx 98x Kx opposite AKx Tx AKxx AQJx. On any lead other than a spade no squeeze operates because you are discarding after the major menaces. Declarer's most likely shapes are 4-4-3-2, 4-4-2-3 or 3-4-3-3. With four diamonds he would have supported diamonds over 3C, as it is quite likely the 4-4 fit would produce an extra trick. Leading the queen of diamonds fails, because declarer extracts partner's exit cards and ducks a diamond to him in the ending. A heart works because partner has J98, so declarer still only has two heart tricks. If it were to blow a trick that would be declarer's 12th. A club works as partner does not have Qxx, and this was the choice of one or two other members of the same team. Personally, I think the stand-out lead is the small diamond from Qx, also successful here as declarer gets squeezed first on the fourth club. When I did 48 simulations using the known facts, it never cost double dummy and beat the contract whenever it could be beaten.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users