BBO Discussion Forums: JEC 25/1 Board 3 - 3NT Play Problem - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

JEC 25/1 Board 3 - 3NT Play Problem

#1 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-26, 15:04

Playing against Garozzo and JEC you bid to 3NT on these cards (comments on the bidding welcome) On this board Pachtmann and Eldad Ginossar have stopped in 2C in the other room so you can pick up 7 IMPs if you bring this 3NT home.

Lead 2 (attitude I think). Can you find the correct line?

NB. that they have a rather conservative style, so a one level overcall promises either a decent suit or a decent hand. 1D will be up to strength.

Spoilers for the first couple of posts please.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#2 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-26, 17:23

Win in hand and play a heart to the Q. Assuming this wins, overtake Q and play for clubs 3-3 or a doubleton 9/J.
If the Q loses, win the return, cash the Q and hope for clubs 3-3 or doubleton J.

#3 User is offline   MUNCHKEN 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-26, 20:22

View Postbroze, on 2014-January-26, 15:04, said:

Playing against Garozzo and JEC you bid to 3NT on these cards (comments on the bidding welcome) On this board Pachtmann and Eldad Ginossar have stopped in 2C in the other room so you can pick up 7 IMPs if you bring this 3NT home.

Lead 2 (attitude I think). Can you find the correct line?

NB. that they have a rather conservative style, so a one level overcall promises either a decent suit or a decent hand. 1D will be up to strength.

Spoilers for the first couple of posts please.

#4 User is offline   MUNCHKEN 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-26, 20:26

I would win the diamond in hand then small club to the Q - then I would not have to worry too much about the opponents club split but if it works against me it is ok because I can later still get in hand with either diamonds or hearts and finish off the clubs, then continue - I think 3NT will not be too hard to win then.

#5 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-02, 17:48

View Postwanoff, on 2014-January-26, 17:23, said:

Win in hand and play a heart to the Q. Assuming this wins, overtake Q and play for clubs 3-3 or a doubleton 9/J.
If the Q loses, win the return, cash the Q and hope for clubs 3-3 or doubleton J.

Nicely done. I erred by winning in dummy and then playing clubs as you said, forgetting I couldn't establish a heart later. Unfortunately your good work is not rewarded on this deal as clubs are 5-1.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users