Posted 2014-January-26, 11:32

QTxx
ATx
AK9xxx
void

Unfav, IMPs.

1D-(2C)-P-(P);
??

Edit: 1D-(2C)-2M would have been natural NF, if that makes any difference.

#2 User is offline   Onedown 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-26, 12:36

The best you can hope for IF you double is partner passes and you are getting a plus score. Problem is if we double partner may have been extremely weak but 5 cards+ in hearts and you will hear 2H. Remember, partner did not make a neg double! I do not want to bid 2D either as there is a chance partner did have clubs..I do not want to rebid my diamond suit due the the vulnerability...I double and see what happens...I DO NOT LIKE THIS HAND!

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-26, 12:58

Part of the Neg-DBL convention is to reopen with a DBL to protect partner ( after he has passed ) since he may have a fistfull of Responder's suit.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is offline   Onedown 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-26, 13:07

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2014-January-26, 12:58, said:

Part of the Neg-DBL convention is to reopen with a DBL to protect partner ( after he has passed ) since he may have a fistfull of Responder's suit.

Isn't that what I said?

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-January-26, 13:33

This is simplistic.

One shouldn't reopen automatically and, when one does, one shouldn't invariably say 'double'.

I really dislike negative free bids, but they are in play here so one needs to be aware of that. That means that partner won't have a moderate hand with either or both majors, tho he could be 4 cards in one and short(ish) in the other, so it is still possible that we belong in spades (or even a 5-3 heart fit, I suppose) and we won't get there unless we double,...but we might not get there anyway, since partner may decide to shoot out the contract on defence anyway.

I have a very poor hand on defence, since I own no clubs. This is a hand on which I'd at least think about pulling a penalty double, and that is why I choose 2 rather than rolling the dice on defending.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-26, 13:34

View PostOnedown, on 2014-January-26, 13:07, said:

Isn't that what I said?

Yes eventually. You mentioned a problem, but that doesn't matter since you don't have a choice.

#7 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-26, 13:58

This is a Tribble 1D, right? If so, put me down for 2D, with AK9x more in the suit than P's been offered.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#8 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-26, 14:05

View PostJinksy, on 2014-January-26, 13:58, said:

This is a Tribble 1D, right? If so, put me down for 2D, with AK9x more in the suit than P's been offered.

Yes, it is a TriBal 1D [natural or any 11-13 NT], but that's not really relevant - any 11-13 NT that would have opened 1C playing Better Minor isn't going to make a reopening double of 2C.

#9 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-26, 14:18

View Postmikeh, on 2014-January-26, 13:33, said:

This is simplistic.

One shouldn't reopen automatically and, when one does, one shouldn't invariably say 'double'.

I couldn't have said it better.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#10 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-26, 17:02

I have a very poor hand on defence, since I own no clubs. This is a hand on which I'd at least think about pulling a penalty double, and that is why I choose 2 rather than rolling the dice on defending.

How much more would you need for 2?

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-January-26, 17:45

View PostMickyB, on 2014-January-26, 17:02, said:

How much more would you need for 2?

KQxx Axx AKxxxx void would be very comfortable, but wouldn't be much less.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   Onedown 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-26, 18:34

View Postmikeh, on 2014-January-26, 17:45, said:

KQxx Axx AKxxxx void would be very comfortable, but wouldn't be much less.

The problem lies in being Vul vs NV...bidding 2 rather than re-opening with a x, might find you being doubled and getting pounded...i still prefer X..

#13 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-26, 19:57

Partner did not 2M - posted as NF. Did not negX. Did not 2NT.
What does he have? What contract is good for us?
Might a reopening alert opponents to their 4-4, 4-5 4H game?
5C game?
I TOO, DO NOT LIKE THIS HAND But it IS a little hand (no game for US).
I quit. Pass.

#14 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-26, 20:16

Partner could easily have a reasonable hand with club length and no convenient bid. This is more likely because it seems I didn't show a suit with my opening bid. Pass runs the real risk of us scoring +150 instead of our vulnerable game, so that's right out. I lean more to a double than mikeh does, but the club void means I'll probably bid 2D for the reasons he gives. There are certainly opponents or match situations I would double though.

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-January-26, 22:38

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-January-26, 14:18, said:

I couldn't have said it better.

Rik

I couldn't have said that better, either. But, I could use more words. Partner sees we are Vul vs. not, and knows we don't invariably say 'double' or even reopen at all; yet she passed willing to settle for 50 cents a trick, not worrying about missing game unless I can move. She almost certainly has 5+ clubs. She could not bid 2 with 3 or 4 of them because of our agreements, so I must bid 2D with this high-offense array.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#16 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-27, 06:25

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-January-26, 22:38, said:

I couldn't have said that better, either. But, I could use more words. Partner sees we are Vul vs. not, and knows we don't invariably say 'double' or even reopen at all; yet she passed willing to settle for 50 cents a trick, not worrying about missing game unless I can move. She almost certainly has 5+ clubs. She could not bid 2 with 3 or 4 of them because of our agreements, so I must bid 2D with this high-offense array.

The trouble with 2 is that you will not find your 4-4 fit in spades.
Partner will either pass expecting a total misfit or will bid some number of notrumps.
I prefer to reopen with 2.
Reversing in reopening position is not a true reverse but shows distributional values rather than HCP strength, because with HCP strength there is no need to avoid a reopening double.
Over 2NT I bid 3, which should show this hand. With more strength either raise to 3NT or cuebid 3.

Rainer Herrmann

#17 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-27, 07:20

View PostOnedown, on 2014-January-26, 12:36, said:

Problem is if we double partner may have been extremely weak but 5 cards+ in hearts and you will hear 2H.

Why would that be a problem?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#18 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-January-27, 07:41

Just because 2 is NF is insufficient info, is J9xxxx, Kx, x, xxxx (where 4 is OK) a 2 bid ? or is it closer to AJxxxx, Kx, x, xxxx where you might well make 7 ? or is it NF but inv and can be an 11 count with 5 which you'd only pass with a bad weak no trump ? This has some bearing here.

Do I like X, not really, I'd much prefer it with the majors the other way round as partner will bid 2 with 4-4M.

Is 2 any better ? not really, doesn't help me find a major.

2 is an overbid and doesn't help if partner has 5.

Pass - could very easily be our hand, and partner with his 2416 11 count might not easily forgive me, we always reopen short in the suit overcalled.

So none of the options are perfect, I probably double, if partner stands it I have AK/A for him.

#19 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-27, 07:44

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-January-27, 07:41, said:

Just because 2 is NF is insufficient info, is J9xxxx, Kx, x, xxxx (where 4 is OK) a 2 bid ? or is it closer to AJxxxx, Kx, x, xxxx where you might well make 7 ? or is it NF but inv and can be an 11 count with 5 which you'd only pass with a bad weak no trump ? This has some bearing here.

11-13 NTs pass 2 unless they are decent with four-card support. I'd expect a 2 bid to think it had chances of making opposite the weak NT, particularly holding some club length.

#20 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-27, 07:59

View PostMickyB, on 2014-January-26, 11:32, said:

Edit: 1D-(2C)-2M would have been natural NF, if that makes any difference.

Anyone who thinks it does is thinking about the game in the wrong way.

Anyway, I double, but 2 is also OK. I would not double on this shape if I lacked aces, but with decent defence it is unlikely to work out too badly. Partner's average number of clubs is about 5.5, and who knows? - perhaps they are good ones. Anyway -180 is not the end of the world.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users