Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

JEC events

#1 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-18, 17:27

I think by now JEC deserves a thread of its own, maybe two..one for the players scheduled/wanting to play and another for the hand recaps. Any other forum events which might be offered are likely to be buried by the volume of posts connected only to the JEC events. Not everyone wants to wander through all the JEC hands on the off chance that another event might be cowering in a corner somewhere.

At one time wasn't there an occassional forums tourney?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-January-19, 14:23

Do you mean they should have an entire forum of their own?

I'm not sure this is necessary. There's usually just one thread about scheduling. For a couple of days after a JEC game there may be a large number of threads discussing hands, but they're usually quite distinctive. There also aren't many other "forum events" to discuss, except the Posties for a short while. I can pin the latter to keep them at the top of the thread list.

#3 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-19, 16:53

barmar, on 2014-January-19, 14:23, said:

Do you mean they should have an entire forum of their own?

I'm not sure this is necessary. There's usually just one thread about scheduling. For a couple of days after a JEC game there may be a large number of threads discussing hands, but they're usually quite distinctive. There also aren't many other "forum events" to discuss, except the Posties for a short while. I can pin the latter to keep them at the top of the thread list.

I thought that a few times in the dim and distant past there had been a couple of tourneys run for forum posters..not the JEC matches, just normal tourneys. People registered on a thread in the forums to play, so anyone who never visited the forums didn't even know about it, it self selected for the people to play. I thought they were offered as a chance for forum posters to interact outside of the forums. People who had low tolerance for ..erratic or less than stellar play or people on the other end of the skill spectrum who were intimidated didn't participate but it was just a fun thing anyway. Then there were those (like me) who found out about them too late to join.

Was I dreaming about this? If so, then can I put it forward as a possibly interesting idea? If not, can we have another one please?

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-21, 02:20

There was a forum league of team games, but it fizzled out after a few months.

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-April-26, 07:25

onoway, on 2014-January-19, 16:53, said:

I thought that a few times in the dim and distant past there had been a couple of tourneys run for forum posters..not the JEC matches, just normal tourneys. People registered on a thread in the forums to play, so anyone who never visited the forums didn't even know about it, it self selected for the people to play. I thought they were offered as a chance for forum posters to interact outside of the forums. People who had low tolerance for ..erratic or less than stellar play or people on the other end of the skill spectrum who were intimidated didn't participate but it was just a fun thing anyway. Then there were those (like me) who found out about them too late to join.

Was I dreaming about this? If so, then can I put it forward as a possibly interesting idea? If not, can we have another one please?

I made several attempts at this sort of thing. The most registrations I ever got for a BBF team tournament was one (team) and for a pairs tournament I maxed out at around 6 pairs. I hope you can imagine how much this motivated me to try anything of the sort again.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-26, 13:04

onoway, on 2014-January-18, 17:27, said:

At one time wasn't there an occassional forums tourney?

Huh, there was the first forums indy at the end of 2006 with more than 20 players...

The follwing tries to establish one were not very successfull

Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#7 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-April-26, 14:36

I loved the 2 or 3 forum indy's that I played. We should definitely try to organise some more.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#8 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-26, 14:38

I'd be happy to set up a BBF tourney once a month or so if there's interest.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-26, 16:34

diana_eva, on 2014-April-26, 14:38, said:

I'd be happy to set up a BBF tourney once a month or so if there's interest.

If you promise to pass at least once every 3-4 boards, I can play.Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-26, 17:01

MrAce, on 2014-April-26, 16:34, said:

If you promise to pass at least once every 3-4 boards, I can play.Posted Image

I won't even touch the bidding box, bec I'll probably direct it lol. So we have one. Anyone else?

#11 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-April-26, 17:11

I'm game
Alderaan delenda est

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-26, 17:22

diana_eva, on 2014-April-26, 17:01, said:

I won't even touch the bidding box, bec I'll probably direct it lol. So we have one. Anyone else?

You can direct and play. I do not mind you knowing the hands Posted Image Others will not mind it either after they see our score anyway.

If you do not play I have options...

Alternatively there are only a few players I can play with. In specific order, Vampyr or 32519 or Lurpoa. In fact this 4 can make hell of a team as well!

How about sending this "squadra azzurra" to represent vs JEC ? I bet we will get on the nerves of JEC in first 10 boards and we will prevail afterwards! Posted Image

Although BBF may not get another shot vs JEC ever after.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-April-26, 20:36

I back Mr Ace's dream team. I'd also benefit from another lesson v JEC. And I'd enjoy a BBF indy.

#14 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-29, 10:12

I'd like to play too.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users