BBO Discussion Forums: Chrome and unresponsive pages error - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chrome and unresponsive pages error v32 and Flash 12

#1 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-15, 14:14

Today the Google Chrome browser upgraded itself to version 32.0.1700.76 m, including a new version of Flash 12.0.0.41.

Since then I've found when running BBO that, after a while, I get an unresponsive pages error message (press Kill Pages or Wait) every few seconds. I don't think this is BBO problem per se, just thought I'd report it in case others see it. Using Internet Explorer, which has Flash 12.0.0.38, is working without problem.

I am on Windows 8.

Update: A number of other people are reporting this issue on non-BBO sites, so it is not a BBO issue

This post has been edited by paulg: 2014-January-15, 16:17

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-January-16, 01:10

Updated last night and now I'm seeing it too with Windows 7 and Chrome.

Thanks for reporting, Paul.

#3 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-January-16, 02:44

It seems that the problem occurs when you use an application shortcut, so it it likely to affect only more sophisticated Chrome users. If you start if from a regular browser then the problem does not exist.

As I'm seeing the same problem when I start GMail using an application shortcut I think Google will fix it soon.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-16, 03:33

View Postpaulg, on 2014-January-16, 02:44, said:

It seems that the problem occurs when you use an application shortcut, so it it likely to affect only more sophisticated Chrome users. If you start if from a regular browser then the problem does not exist.

As I'm seeing the same problem when I start GMail using an application shortcut I think Google will fix it soon.

I don't even know how to start Chrome other than from some shortcut - so how is that "sophisticated" :) I just tried to launch it from the Start menu in Window and same thing happens. I also have a shortcut on my startup bar in windows, which is what I normally click.

So what wd a normal user do? A bit lost here.

#5 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-16, 10:08

Google chrome browser Dev Channel I use is 33.0.1750.27,login speed is very fast,and no problem.

#6 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-January-16, 10:26

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-January-16, 03:33, said:

So what wd a normal user do? A bit lost here.

I'm a little surprised that you've seen the problem but perhaps the symptoms are different on Windows 7 or you've used BBO's trick to create a shortcut.

A Chrome application shortcut is used to create a shortcut to a frequently accessed web page and can be made through the "Chrome menu->Tools->Create application shortcut ...". I expect many Gmail will have used it to create a Gmail icon on the desktop and in the toolbar.

The reason that I mentioned sophisticated users is that the Chrome menu is not available when you are logged into the web client. So you would need to create a shortcut for another site and then edit the properties of that shortcut to refer to the correct BBO page. This is not something that your average Windows user would be comfortable doing.
The Beer Card

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-16, 10:40

View Postpaulg, on 2014-January-16, 10:26, said:

The reason that I mentioned sophisticated users is that the Chrome menu is not available when you are logged into the web client. So you would need to create a shortcut for another site and then edit the properties of that shortcut to refer to the correct BBO page. This is not something that your average Windows user would be comfortable doing.

There's a link on our home page to download a shortcut to BBO. Or does that always open IE even if you use Chrome as your default browser? I'm a Mac user -- Internet shortcuts always use your default browser here.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-January-16, 10:44

I'm not sure that this problem is specific to using a shortcut, or even specific to Flash. After seeing these reports, we've done some googling and found a number of reports on the Google support forum about unresponsive browsers since the Chrome 32 upgrade. Some of them mention scroll bars as being related to the problem. Since one of the changes in this version is Metro-style scrolling, it makes sense that this could be a trigger.

#9 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-January-16, 11:12

View Postbarmar, on 2014-January-16, 10:44, said:

I'm not sure that this problem is specific to using a shortcut, or even specific to Flash. After seeing these reports, we've done some googling and found a number of reports on the Google support forum about unresponsive browsers since the Chrome 32 upgrade. Some of them mention scroll bars as being related to the problem. Since one of the changes in this version is Metro-style scrolling, it makes sense that this could be a trigger.

I'm pretty sure that it's independent of Flash. It seems bizarre that it would be related to a shortcut but I (and a couple of others) have only seen it when using app shortcuts. I've seen the scroll bar references too.

The BBO shortcut opens the default browser on Windows too (although I'm not certain that it opens BBO in exactly the same way as a Chrome app shortcut).

Whatever it is I hope the Google Chrome team fix it soon :)
The Beer Card

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-January-16, 14:24

View Postpaulg, on 2014-January-15, 14:14, said:

Today the Google Chrome browser upgraded itself to version 32.0.1700.76 m, including a new version of Flash 12.0.0.41.

I see that the latest plugin version of Flash is 12.0.0.43. May make a difference?
The activex version is still 12.0.0.38, which causes my Avast software updater checker a bit of indigestion. Guess that will settle down soon.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-16, 14:51

A fix that works for me is to copy the client URL directly in the address bar. As long as BBO doesn't run in a pop-up all is well. Happy on Chrome ATM. I tried IE and this old joke seemed cruelly accurate:

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-January-16, 16:01

The latest Chrome beta, Version 33.0.1750.29, seems to have resolved the problem :)

Hopefully the stable channel will be fixed soon.
The Beer Card

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-January-16, 16:07

If the problem is as widespread as it seems, I'll bet that version goes from beta to public very quickly.

#14 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-January-16, 16:13

View Postbarmar, on 2014-January-16, 16:07, said:

If the problem is as widespread as it seems, I'll bet that version goes from beta to public very quickly.

I had reported the problem with the previous beta, but it went public in two days with all the resulting problems for more people! Hard to make your voice heard when you are talking to Google.
The Beer Card

#15 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-17, 10:44

I think Google Chrome is very suitable for BBO,I can't find any problem whatever version ,very fast.

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-January-17, 11:41

The Mac version of Chrome hasn't had this problem, BTW. Apparently it's Windows-specific (which lends more credence to the suspicion that it's related to the scrollbar change, which is also only on Windows).

#17 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2014-January-18, 14:15

The real fix will have to wait for Google. As far as we can tell, this has little to do w/us and much to do w/a bug in Chrome itself.

As a workaround, we've changed the way our home page works, as follows

If you're using chrome (more specifically, if your browser's userAgent string contains "chrome/" ) , bbo will launch in the current window instead of popping up a fullscreen window. This seems to help, please let me know if this doesn't fix it.

Other browsers don't suffer from this bug.

#18 User is offline   marty0627 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-21, 14:23

A workaround for this issue has been listed on this site:

http://frankcode.wor...e-the-internet/

#19 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-21, 17:40

View Postmarty0627, on 2014-January-21, 14:23, said:

A workaround for this issue has been listed on this site:

http://frankcode.wor...e-the-internet/

Thanks Marty and welcome to the Forums :)

I didn't know about the Aero theme in Windows. I guess that explains why some of my friends had no troubles at all while for me and other users the bug was obvious.

#20 User is offline   marty0627 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-27, 14:00

Chrome have finally fixed this issue "Chrome why so Quiet?"

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users