BBO Discussion Forums: wbridge5 - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

wbridge5

#1 User is offline   patroclo 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 303
  • Joined: 2003-April-30

Posted 2014-January-09, 10:42

New version to download
0

#2 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,005
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-February-13, 18:14

View Postpatroclo, on 2014-January-09, 10:42, said:

New version to download
bridgez which uses a web-version is entertaining. In tournaments, bots (wbridge5, Jack, and so on) outperform humans.
0

#3 User is offline   paulg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,020
  • Joined: 2003-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scottish Borders

Posted 2014-February-14, 02:13

View Postnige1, on 2014-February-13, 18:14, said:

bridgez which uses a web-version is entertaining. In tournaments, bots (wbridge5, Jack, and so on) outperform humans.

The first reason for this is that humans have to play with the wbridge5 robot and few understand its full bidding system and carding methods. However the other robots partner themselves and defend against themselves, for example Jack plays all four hands. So the robots know the system and are far less likely to have a bidding misunderstanding or defensive disaster.

The second reason is that they are better than most humans.
0

#4 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,005
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-February-14, 05:15

View Postpaulg, on 2014-February-14, 02:13, said:

The first reason for this is that humans have to play with the wbridge5 robot and few understand its full bidding system and carding methods. However the other robots partner themselves and defend against themselves, for example Jack plays all four hands. So the robots know the system and are far less likely to have a bidding misunderstanding or defensive disaster.
The second reason is that they are better than most humans.
Thank you Paulg for that eye-opener. I imagined that Wbridge5 played 2 or 3 of the hands. It seems strange that Jack is allowed to play all 4 hands. Presumably NS bots are set to a higher skill level than EW bots. Otherwise, since about half of the deals are defensive problems, it would be hard for Jack to achieve such a high match-point percentage
0

#5 User is offline   Scarabin 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 382
  • Joined: 2010-December-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:All types of games especially bridge & war games.
    old bidding systems & computer simulation programming.

Posted 2014-February-16, 02:05

View Postnige1, on 2014-February-14, 05:15, said:

Thank you Paulg for that eye-opener. I imagined that Wbridge5 played 2 or 3 of the hands. It seems strange that Jack is allowed to play all 4 hands. Presumably NS bots are set to a higher skill level than EW bots. Otherwise, since about half of the deals are defensive problems, it would be hard for Jack to achieve such a high match-point percentage


I think Paulg is saying that in Bridgez's comparisons, humans play against Wbridge5 but robots play in isolation: ie Wbridge5,Jack,Gib,etc bid and play all 4 hands. Thus a program that is weak in defence play may score higher as declarer, and similar considerations apply to competitive bidding. I remember also Gerard Joyez saying that he always has the latest version of Wbridge5 but not necessarily for other programs.

:D
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users