BBO Discussion Forums: 401K or bust... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

401K or bust... he who does not learn from the past is doomed to repeat it

Poll: Recession or depression? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

When will the correction occur?

1. When QE stops? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. When Gold falls below $1,000? (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Before June 2014? (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Other (7 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-13, 12:19

View PostArtK78, on 2014-March-13, 10:24, said:

Psalm 2014.72 (based on its Star Date).

It needs to be set to a jaunty tune and used in a theatrical musical. It definitely seems to have the rhythm of something from Hair, but perhaps it is actually an oft-omitted song from Jesus Christ Superstar or Godspell.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#162 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-March-16, 04:24

Here's some good advice to all you buffs who play the stock market, Are you owned by an investment?
Here's an extract:
"My advice to people who have such a significant exposure to one brilliant share is to sell small portions of your shares periodically to ensure that you have sufficient money stashed away for a rainy day.

If you don’t believe that this investment will ever have a collapse in its share price, remind yourself of the Didata example.

You don’t need to sell all your shares. Sell just enough so that a significant drop in the share price will not compromise your current lifestyle."

#163 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2014-March-16, 07:57

View Post32519, on 2014-March-16, 04:24, said:

My advice to people who have such a significant exposure to one brilliant share is to sell small portions of your shares periodically to ensure that you have sufficient money stashed away for a rainy day.

Taken directly from Duh Magazine.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#164 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-16, 13:33

According to Atif Mian and Amir Sufi, in House of Debt, it is not a coincidence that the Great Recession and the Great Depression were preceded by dramatic expansions in household debt. In the U.S. for example, household debt doubled between 2000 and 2007.

When will the correction suggested by the OP occur? Who knows. To the extent that expanding household debt was a factor in 2007, this is not a factor now in the U.S.

Posted Image
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#165 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-March-17, 11:06

View Post32519, on 2014-March-16, 04:24, said:

Here's some good advice to all you buffs who play the stock market, Are you owned by an investment?
Here's an extract:
"My advice to people who have such a significant exposure to one brilliant share is to sell small portions of your shares periodically to ensure that you have sufficient money stashed away for a rainy day.

The expression "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" is over 350 years old, and still as true.

Several of my employers have offered Employee Stock Purchase Plans, Stock Options, 401k matching in the form of company stock, and other forms of compensation in the form of company stock. My policy has generally been to sell when it's reasonably feasible (e.g. I wait until ESPP shares become qualified, so I pay only capital gains tax rather than income tax), on the basis that I'm already depending on the company for my regular paycheck, I don't want to depend on their stock price as well. One theory of paying employees in stock is that it will give them incentive to work harder, to keep the stock price up. I already do that just because it's my duty, and I don't think my individual contribution is significant enough that it will affect the stock price.

#166 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-26, 00:55

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2014-March-13, 06:54, said:

Posted Image

Even if past random walks predicted future ones and even if those curves were more similar than they all the different axis are important. In the 1920s graph the crash is from nearly 400 to 200, losing 50% of the value. The corrisponding current day axis would be from 17000 to 12000, losing less than 25% of value. Not a good day, but off by more than a factor of 2.

#167 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-26, 23:52

Abolish the euro for Europe's sake

#168 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-28, 01:07

View Post32519, on 2014-March-26, 23:52, said:

typical nonsense written by nonsense...junk

The obvious conclusion is that austerity is not the answer. Indeed, France must abandon its policies, for its own sake — and Europe’s.

France’s problems, like those of other troubled eurozone economies, stem from the fact that the euro exchange rate does not align with member countries’ economic positions. As a result, these countries’ virtual exchange rates vis-à-vis Germany are critically overvalued, inasmuch as wages in these countries have risen faster, and labour productivity more slowly, than in Germany. Given that the implicit nominal exchange rates are fixed "forever" within the euro, these countries have accumulated big deficits relative to Germany.

1) France is not austerity, to suggest is idiot.
2) rest is well known well before euro...you accept or you don't.

The entire article is nonsense ..stupid.
Tell me something I did not know 20 years ago. If you accept euro you accept this issue...lol

#169 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-09, 00:12

Global assets under management to exceed $100 trillion by 2020

So how much of this is your pension funding being managed by some or other parasite (sorry, retirement funding institution). What do you think the new figure will be when the stock market implodes?

#170 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-09, 23:11

View Post32519, on 2014-April-09, 00:12, said:

Global assets under management to exceed $100 trillion by 2020

So how much of this is your pension funding being managed by some or other parasite (sorry, retirement funding institution). What do you think the new figure will be when the stock market implodes?

Posted Image

What do you think the new figure will be when the stock market implodes?
OK
bed

#171 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-April-09, 23:34

The solution is often to have a culture that accepts entrepreneurs and one that accepts failure and second chances.

Cultures, many don't accept failure. They see failure as shame.

Innovation is so important, but a culture that sees failure as shame inhibits innovation.

This leads to a culture seeking stability and that leads to stagnation.

Many, many of us seek stability over the years, yet this leads to collapse, rather than creative destruction.

Granted the whole issue of collapse vs creative destruction is painful and hence people choose to ignore it.

#172 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-20, 02:21

Bank of England reveals the truth about money.

Quote:
Is a central bank (meant to manage this unruly lot after all) finally saying enough is enough? Let’s be honest about the monster we’ve created, because if we keep believing a system can rise and fall purely on borrowing and unlimited freedom to lend, the next crash is around the corner.

#173 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-April-20, 03:08

View Post32519, on 2014-April-20, 02:21, said:

Quote:
Is a central bank (meant to manage this unruly lot after all) finally saying enough is enough? Let’s be honest about the monster we’ve created, because if we keep believing a system can rise and fall purely on borrowing and unlimited freedom to lend, the next crash is around the corner.

AND YET YOU DONT RESPOND.

#174 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-April-20, 03:08

View Post32519, on 2014-April-20, 02:21, said:

Quote:

AND YET YOU DONT RESPOND.

#175 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-20, 04:42

To quote one of the comments on that page:

Has the writer been living in a cave? This is the way money has worked for a few centuries already.

#176 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2014-July-28, 09:24

Things that make you go...

Posted Image
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#177 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2014-July-28, 09:29

View Postmike777, on 2014-April-09, 23:34, said:

The solution is often to have a culture that accepts entrepreneurs and one that accepts failure and second chances.

Cultures, many don't accept failure. They see failure as shame.

Innovation is so important, but a culture that sees failure as shame inhibits innovation.

This leads to a culture seeking stability and that leads to stagnation.

Many, many of us seek stability over the years, yet this leads to collapse, rather than creative destruction.

Granted the whole issue of collapse vs creative destruction is painful and hence people choose to ignore it.

Impressive, Mike. Perhaps avoid is as appropriate as ignore? :blink:
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#178 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-July-28, 15:27

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2014-July-28, 09:24, said:

Posted Image

Interesting graph. Peaked during the depression. Increased a bit during WWII, dropped after that (including Korea!), seemed not to do much during the Vietnam era, went up quite a bit during the 1980s while we were "destroying communism", and then continued its sharp uptrend into the first decade of the 21st Century. Now it looks like it might drop for a while. Maybe. Will it ever get back down to the 125% range? I don't know, but I doubt it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#179 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-28, 17:18

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2014-July-28, 09:24, said:

Posted Image

An impressive graph, but we must always approach such things skeptically. What is public and private debt? For example, it was not all that many years ago that I paid cash for almost everything. Now I use a credit card for almost everything. It is not unusual for my "debt" to be $1000 before it is paid at the end of the month. But, when the bill arrives, it is immediately paid in full. We are speaking of bookkeeping, not debt, here. Which number, 0 or 1000, is counted as private debt?

Don't get me wrong, I was brought up to abhor debt. I use these damn credit cards because the game is rigged. They jack up the prices to cover the cost merchants pay for using the cards, and then give the customers some, a fraction, of it back for using them. Very clever, those folks. So I play along, what else? But some graphs reflect something real, some graphs don't, so I ask for what it all means.

I don't doubt for a moment that modern retailing and banking have drawn a great many people in way over their heads. We still need to break down the figures some to see what is really happening.
Ken

#180 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-July-28, 18:48

View Postkenberg, on 2014-July-28, 17:18, said:

An impressive graph, but we must always approach such things skeptically. What is public and private debt? For example, it was not all that many years ago that I paid cash for almost everything. Now I use a credit card for almost everything. It is not unusual for my "debt" to be $1000 before it is paid at the end of the month. But, when the bill arrives, it is immediately paid in full. We are speaking of bookkeeping, not debt, here. Which number, 0 or 1000, is counted as private debt?

I found this graph in an article at http://www.businessi...old-debt-2014-4 about how household debt has changed since the economic collapse in 2008. Credit cards are not a huge proportion of personal debt, so the difference between carrying and paying off the balance probably doesn't affect the overall numbers very much.

Posted Image

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users