• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your turn

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-13, 14:40

Teams, 1 was std 2/1, 1 showed 5+, expert opponents and WC pd.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-13, 14:57

Double, card showing and trusting that partner will not be leaving it in due to my heart holding.

That way I can hear about doubleton spade support (and raise to 3) or get to 3 in a manner that invites without hanging or other things I am not entirely uncomfortable with.

Mind you if partner passes the double they have a stiff spade and if I'm east they may have 3 hearts too. :P
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-December-13, 15:01

double looks right, agree with reasoning laid out by the previous poster. I don't hate 2 or 3 either, but they don't really do justice to my hand, so I think of those as lesser choices, approximately equal in value. If partner leaves in the double, at least we have 2 aces and a singleton.
Chris Gibson

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-13, 15:06

Yes double. Hand is way too good for 3d or 2s. Not sure why people are worried about it being passed out.

#5 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2013-December-13, 15:35

I'd double. Hopefully partner will support with two cards... What to do over 3 is the interesting question...

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#6 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:NFL, NBA, poker

Posted 2013-December-13, 16:05

Double, and of course partner will support with a doubleton honor as he didn't bid over 2. If he bids 3, 3 should be invitational. If he bids 3, I would raise to 4.

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-14, 18:11

If this were MP I would strongly consider passing and hoping to get +200 in 2h but at IMPS

it is just too great a risk missing a vul game for a paltry 2-3 imps. Once that decision is made

x

seems to be the best of all worlds since it leaves us well positioned for anything p bids next

and ecstatic if by some chance p passes (very unlikely unless playing ggwhiz:).

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2013-December-14, 19:09

Recurring problem that is much easier with intermediate js (8-11).
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-December-15, 01:20

X is ok. 2S isreasonable as well.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-December-15, 01:41

View Postwank, on 2013-December-13, 15:06, said:

Not sure why people are worried about it being passed out.

I don't think anyone's worried; I think they are salivating if partner thinks its right to defend
Chris Gibson

#11 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-15, 10:45

X seems to the best choice; if playing with a random pard, 2 is a reasonable alternative.
foobar on BBO

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-15, 17:23

Are you all assuming that we play wjs, to suggest that 2 is reasonable at team game ? FYI, wjs was not available.

I thought 2 would be a bizzarre bid, regardless of it is the winning bid or not.....I mean we have a 1 opener if you are an aggressive player. If you don't like 1 opening, which is perfectly normal not to open, we can say "we have close to 1 opening" In either case, 2 would be a gross underbid of the hand as responder at teams, don't you think ?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-December-15, 22:24

View PostMrAce, on 2013-December-15, 17:23, said:

Are you all assuming that we play wjs, to suggest that 2 is reasonable at team game ? FYI, wjs was not available.

I thought 2 would be a bizzarre bid, regardless of it is the winning bid or not.....I mean we have a 1 opener if you are an aggressive player. If you don't like 1 opening, which is perfectly normal not to open, we can say "we have close to 1 opening" In either case, 2 would be a gross underbid of the hand as responder at teams, don't you think ?

I don't think 2S is bizarre at all. 2S certainly suggests reasonable values. I would think the bid suggested by one poster above as 2S Intermediate, would be bizarre. This is not close to an intermediate 2S bid in terms of spade quality.
A 2S fit jump immediately would have been a nice bid.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-16, 02:13

View Postthe hog, on 2013-December-15, 22:24, said:

I don't think 2S is bizarre at all. 2S certainly suggests reasonable values. I would think the bid suggested by one poster above as 2S Intermediate, would be bizarre. This is not close to an intermediate 2S bid in terms of spade quality.
A 2S fit jump immediately would have been a nice bid.

LOL

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-16, 02:43

This was what pd had, open room played part score in spades after South made a "reasonable" 2 bid, other table bid and made 6 (idk their auction at the other table) Which was -15 imps

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-December-16, 04:33

I think the North hand should bid 3 over 2. A takeout double would be a good choice too, but I assume you were unelightenedly playing support doubles.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-16, 05:14

View Postgnasher, on 2013-December-16, 04:33, said:

I think the North hand should bid 3 over 2. A takeout double would be a good choice too, but I assume you were unelightenedly playing support doubles.

Yes dbl would be 3 card spades, even though 1 showed 5+, it's of course debatable which is better. N believed 3 would be better hand than this, probably because he was playing with a conservative pd and he would expect much more than this. See... being extremely conservative can hit you in different ways. Imo S not only underbid his hand grossly by 2 but also affected his pd. But this is just a guess, i may be wrong. They didn't comment on the bidding afterwards.

Btw, what do you think of 2 Andy ? By South over 2 and not playing wjs.

#18 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2013-December-16, 09:45

View PostMrAce, on 2013-December-16, 02:43, said:

This was what pd had, open room played part score in spades after South made a "reasonable" 2 bid, other table bid and made 6 (idk their auction at the other table) Which was -15 imps

Hands fit perfectly.

Is there a game with these hands?

#19 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-December-16, 10:46

View PostMrAce, on 2013-December-16, 02:43, said:

I have no idea, and I suspect you don't, either, about how NS would or even could plausibly reach 6 if S were to reopen with your suggested double.

As it happens, I think the N hand has a borderline direct 3 on the basis of the K10 of spades and the stiff heart both being upgradable values. I suspect many, including Andy, would see 3 as 'clear' rather than borderline, but I am a conservative bidder by inclination.

Over 3, the South hand grows up significantly. The stiff club and the 2 Aces are huge, and it is fairly easy to see decent minimums on which slam is excellent. Exactly how the auction proceeds is not clear, but I can see starting with an ambiguous cue of 3, marking time, and following N's 3 with 4 and we may be on our way.

So if the notion is 'assign the responsibility' for missing slam: it is North all the way as far as I can see.

I don't even know that starting with a double, in the OP situation, necessarily even gets us to game. N bids what? 2? The same call he'd make on Qx xx AJ10xxx KQx?

Now, I happen to think that S should take another call and that N will, on the actual hand, bid game, but I think it an error to focus the discussion of this hand on S.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#20 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-16, 12:11

After the double of 2 I expect it to go

2 - 3 and on a good day
4 - 4

and on a really good day 6 is possible but missing game is definitely not on decent fitting hands.

I guess south could be inspired enough to bid 5 over a 4 continuation (it looks like a better game than 4 over jogs ill fitting construction) and get raised here but I am seldom (as in never?) that sharp.

With the south hand I only had game ambitions and don't see a problem with focusing them on spades AFTER finding out whether partner has 2 of them at the 2 level which you can only discern by starting with a double....and I'm only inviting after that so 6 is only remotely in play.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users