Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stayman and Jacoby help with bidding

#1 User is offline   mightyky 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-November-19, 21:08

I play "party bridge" "contract" with some friends and I am having trouble using Stayman and Jacoby. My partner opens 1NT.
How do I use these systems if:
1. I have a 5 card major(hearts) and 8-10 points. I was thinking I need to bid 2 diamonds asking my partner to bid hearts? Jacoby?
2. I have 4 card major (hearts)with 8-10 points. I was thinking I should bid 2 clubs asking my partner for a 4 card major? Stayman?

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-19, 21:57

This isn't simple to answer since, at party Bridge, it won't really matter whether you use Stayman and Jacoby in the customary ways unless the partner you currently are sitting across from is also doing so.

However, I will provide the usual guidlines and standard treatments. If 1NT=15-17, then 8+-9 is the range where Responder wants to invite game; 10 or more, and responder wants to insist on game.

2C=search for a 4-4 major suit fit. If Opener shows one with his response, you raise to 3 to invite game, or bid 4 to play in game. If opener shows a major suit which you don't have, you will bid 2NT to invite 3 or just bid 3NT to play.

Jacoby transfers are used with 5+ card major suits. You transfer and pass; you transfer and bid 2NT (5 cards inviting game in the major or NT); you transfer and raise with 6; you transfer and jump to 3NT with 5 to give Opener the choice of games.

There are more complicated methods; there are also more continuations involved. But, this would be the starter-kit. Again, don't bother if the rest of the group doesn't also know this stuff.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-20, 04:11

Hello and welcome to the BBO forums. There are some slight differences in the way these are played depending on region but the (American) standard is:

With one or both 4 card majors use Stayman. If partner bids your major rebid either 3 of the major to invite or 4 of the major to play game. If not then rebid 2NT to invite or 3NT for game. This shows 4 spades in the sequences 1NT - 2; 2 - 2NT and 1NT - 2; 2 - 3NT and Opener should take out to spades at the correct level with 4-4 in the majors.

With a 5 card major and no other suit (5332) transfer to your major and then rebid 2NT (invite) or 3NT (choice of games). Opener should usually take out to the major at the appropriate level with 3 card support.

With a 5 card major and a side minor, bid an invitational hand the same way as for 5332 (transfer then 2NT). If you have enough for game and 5m (or 6m) may well be a better contract than 3NT then you have the additional option here of first transferring and then bidding the minor at the 3 level. Of course you could also choose to ignore the minor and just rebid in this case too.

With an invitational 6 card major and no side suit, transfer to the major and then raise to 3. The game-going hand with a 6+ major is a special case in that there are multiple ways of getting to the same point. For your game, probably just transferring and then raising to 4 will be the best way of showing this hand and getting partner to play. You could also just respond 4 of your major if you want to play it yourself, or if your hand is so weak that you fear the opponents finding their own contract.

With 5-4 in the majors, start with Stayman (and not a transfer). If partner bids a major then raise to 3 (to invite) or 4 (to play game). If partner instead bids 2, rebid 2 of your 5 card major to invite or 3 of the 5 card major to show this shape and force to game.

Generally treat 6-4 in the majors similarly to 5-4 (start with Stayman) unless the 4 card suit is so much weaker than the 6 carder that you would never want to play in it.

With 5-5 in the majors and an invitational hand, first transfer to hearts and then rebid 2. With 5-5 in the majors and a game-forcing hand, first transfer to spades and then rebid 3.

There is no special sequence for hands with 6-5 in the majors. Generally you either treat as 6-4 or 5-5. In the former case you will play in a 4-4 fit if one exists and if not in the 6 card major. In the latter case you will play in partner's better major. Decide between these cases based on the relative quality of the suits.

And that is everything. I will finish by mentioning in passing that there are also more advanced versions. Do not worry about these until you are 100% comfortable with the basics. In the meantime, be aware that when you play online and read such things as Smolen, Texas or Garbage Stayman, these refer to conventions in responding to 1NT. If someone wants you to play them refuse. Later on, when you are ready, you might want to look them up. If you stay within your party bridge group though, you will never need anything other than the basics listed above.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users