BBO Discussion Forums: PATTON SCORING DETAILS AND SOFTWARE - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PATTON SCORING DETAILS AND SOFTWARE PATTON SCORING DETAILS AND SOFTWARE

#1 User is offline   strike12 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-November-14, 07:50

Hi,

I had been watching on vu graph a few matches with Patton scoring and few friends had suggested that it should be implemented in non European countries. I was looking for the VP chart scales and if there is a software available to score such an event. Would like to implement it at a national tournament in INDIA. Any suggestion/advice is highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Srini

#2 User is offline   Lorne50 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-November-15, 05:53

Since nobody has replied I suggest you contact the EBU - they have some info about it on their website here:
http://www.ebu.co.uk...rs/?id=1&page=8
so although there is no IMP table I could find they do presumably have one somewhere. Another place with an IMP table is here:
http://www.sportinfo...-Patton-systeem
but you may need to translate the page and it looks like it conflicts slightly with the EBU page.

#3 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-15, 06:42

The general idea is:
  • Each board is scored as IMPs and as MPs (0, 1 or 2).
  • The IMPs for the whole match are added. This total is scored on a VP scale.
  • Typically, the amount of VPs that can be one in a match is the same as the amount of MPs that can be won.
  • The score for the match is the sum of the MP total and the VPs,

This means that when you have four board matches, there are 8 MPs to distribute, and the IMP total will be scored on an 8 VP scale.

The most difficult part is to get a good VP scale. I thought this was what you were asking for. I don't have one available, but I can think of a decent way to construct them: Take the new WBF scales and normalize them by N/10, where N is the number of boards in the match. That way the VP totals are equal to the MP totals.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-15, 07:21

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-November-15, 06:42, said:

The general idea is:
  • Each board is scored as IMPs and as MPs (0, 1 or 2).
  • The IMPs for the whole match are added. This total is scored on a VP scale.
  • Typically, the amount of VPs that can be one in a match is the same as the amount of MPs that can be won.
  • The score for the match is the sum of the MP total and the VPs,

This means that when you have four board matches, there are 8 MPs to distribute, and the IMP total will be scored on an 8 VP scale.

The most difficult part is to get a good VP scale. I thought this was what you were asking for. I don't have one available, but I can think of a decent way to construct them: Take the new WBF scales and normalize them by N/10, where N is the number of boards in the match. That way the VP totals are equal to the MP totals.

Rik

Whenever I've played one of these IMPs are not involved, the board a match element is the same and you divide the aggregate points by the swing and convert to VPs on a scale going up in halves so a 4 board match with the calculation producing 0-4 scores out of 12.

Scales for this for 2/3/4 board matches are on page 194 of the EBU white book, a link for which is on this page http://85.158.158.17...c/whitebook.htm

#5 User is offline   strike12 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-November-15, 08:09

Many Thanks Lorne for the great info provided. I was under the impression that the total VPs are divided into 8 for board scores and 8 for IMP scale diff. This is a new thought to me.

Again tx for sharing, If you have a traveler sheet sample or any link where I can find the same will be very grateful.

Ty

Srini

#6 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-November-15, 09:37

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-November-15, 07:21, said:

Whenever I've played one of these IMPs are not involved, the board a match element is the same and you divide the aggregate points by the swing and convert to VPs on a scale going up in halves so a 4 board match with the calculation producing 0-4 scores out of 12.

Scales for this for 2/3/4 board matches are on page 194 of the EBU white book, a link for which is on this page http://85.158.158.17...c/whitebook.htm

That isn't Patton scoring. Patton is hybrid imps and point a board, like the Lederer.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-15, 16:06

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2013-November-15, 09:37, said:

That isn't Patton scoring. Patton is hybrid imps and point a board, like the Lederer.

Ah OK, I've seen Pachabo scoring referred to as Patton several times.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users