• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

untrusted

#121 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-October-30, 09:02

View PostWinstonm, on 2014-October-29, 10:24, said:

Congratulations, Ken. You are now entitled to entry into Old Fogeydom where you will learn such spiffy phrases as, "These kids today..." and "How can they..." and "Is it me or...".

I'm only in my 50's, but I've occasionally caught myself thinking "How nice to see young people playing bridge."

#122 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-30, 09:15

View Postmycroft, on 2014-October-29, 15:01, said:

Now, to give them credit, they don't really have much of a choice.

I don't know how much choice they have. Maybe they are required by US law to surrender certain information about their applicants to the NSA? In any case, we can give them credit for putting such a vissible disclaimer on their site. It doesn't look like they hope their applicants won't notice.

It reminded me of a work contract I once got when I worked for a US company in Amsterdam. The contract was full of clauses that were void under Dutch labour laws. The HR knew that. Their excuse was that they were in the process of adapting their contracts to Dutch standards, for now they were still using the American templates. Yeah right, they had only been in the country for three years.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#123 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-30, 13:46

There are several requirements of USG (not just NSA) that on their face violate the European Data Directive. That is simply a nature of having a server within US territory. It's a perennial problem. It's compounded by US corporate behaviour that seems to match "we can, so we must" when it comes to employees. I think that's because their legal liability is "well, you were legally allowed to do X, and you chose not to, so you're liable for something that happened that would have been avoided if you did X." Treat employees like crap because the worst of them need to be, and who cares about the rest of them.

So, in this case, "we're allowed to get and store this information in the US, and we're not in Europe. So, instead of doing things the right way, we're going to host our server in the US and get prospective employees to waive their rights. 'We don't care - we don't have to - we're the telephone company employer.' </Ernestine>"
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users