BBO Discussion Forums: Play 7NT - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play 7NT

#21 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-August-03, 01:03

View PostLovera, on 2014-August-03, 00:19, said:

It is not just so: infact W discard two spades and E two clubs and you discard club 10 mantening opp controll ; this is an incomplete ending of compound guard squeeze but is required another winner in spade that take another idle card . Then 10 9 x in club is MUP (middle-up-down) and we consider instead 9 from a doubleton as initially said (post 1).

Or better is have to discard little spade in dummy (second idle card) and now you can realize.

#22 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-03, 02:27

In adjunction and response of post 18 by lamford and for a diversion we can say that when we talk of compound squeeze we refer to Clyde E. Love that have first study and analyzed the endings, when we talk of compound guard squeeze analogally we refer to Julian Pottage (that has republished and up-to-date the Love text), when we talk of clash squeeze we refer to Chien-Hwa Wang. A little but important observation of compound guarda squeeze:when you see an (casual) ending in form of scheme you'll find that an idle card of the opp that has the guard for preserve to impasse partner is located in suit of squeeze card: this means that idle card had to be on disposition and must not be in the suit with the guard or, if so, must be descard (otherwise squeeze may fail).

#23 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-03, 02:48

View PostLovera, on 2014-August-03, 00:19, said:

It is not just so: infact W discard two spades and E two clubs and you discard club 10 mantening opp controll ; this is an incomplete ending of compound guard squeeze but is required another winner in spade that take another idle card . Then 10 9 x in club is MUP (middle-up-down) and we consider instead 9 from a doubleton as initially said (post 1).

No, you are wrong, and it is irrelevant whether West is guarding clubs or not, so we don't care if he has false-carded; and we can discard all the spades from North, so declarer can pitch the spade whatever West discards. Declarer is cold if West has spade guard, heart honour, irrelevant, club guard, opposite spade guard, singleton heart honour, irrelevant, club guard, provided of course he reads the position. In this position:

Declarer will obviously make if West's ten of clubs is a small card, and he can also make by leading the diamond and discarding the eight of spades without even looking at West's card if he really wants to showboat. The really classy play is to discard the eight of spades on the fourth round of diamonds, showing that you understand guard squeezes completely, and it is not a compound guard squeeze, just a simple one, but seemingly not simple enough!
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#24 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-03, 03:00

View Postlamford, on 2014-August-03, 02:48, said:

No, you are wrong, and it is irrelevant whether West is guarding clubs or not, so we don't care if he has false-carded; and we can discard all the spades from North, so declarer can pitch the spade whatever West discards. Declarer is cold if West has spade guard, heart honour, irrelevant, club guard, opposite spade guard, singleton heart honour, irrelevant, club guard, provided of course he reads the position. In this position:

Declarer will obviously make if West's ten of clubs is a small card, and can also make by leading the diamond and discarding the eight of spades without even looking at West's card if he really wants to showboat.

See my post 21,bye.

#25 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-August-03, 03:07

View PostLovera, on 2014-August-03, 03:00, said:

See my post 21,bye.

OK, I did not understand that properly and now realise that it corrected the wrong assertion you made in post 20. It is irrelevant whether West's nine of clubs is a true card as well. I think this is indeed one of the squeezes in The Squeeze at Bridge by Wang, which I originally commissioned and edited for Maxwell Macmillan 20 odd years ago, with Glyn Liggins doing the technical editing. I shall try and find my copy.

Assuming East is 5-1-1-6 with a singleton heart honour, you can actually claim at trick one. And, as gnasher correctly points out, you cannot make it with best defence if both sides are guarding hearts, so maybe you should make a suggestion that play be curtailed.

#26 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-03, 04:33

View Postlamford, on 2014-August-03, 03:07, said:

OK, I did not understand that properly and now realise that it corrected the wrong assertion you made in post 20. It is irrelevant whether West's nine of clubs is a true card as well. I think this is indeed one of the squeezes in The Squeeze at Bridge by Wang, which I originally commissioned and edited for Maxwell Macmillan 20 odd years ago, with Glyn Liggins doing the technical editing. I shall try and find my copy.

Assuming East is 5-1-1-6 with a singleton heart honour, you can actually claim at trick one. And, as gnasher correctly points out, you cannot make it with best defence if both sides are guarding hearts, so maybe you should make a suggestion that play be curtailed.

Well, in the book indicated i have not to find but this hands remind me anything but i don't remember where i have seen it or it is another one, however i'll try to find in my other books or if i remember better.. Although let see to complete successly, bye.

#27 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-August-03, 05:04

View PostLovera, on 2014-August-03, 04:33, said:

Well, in the book indicated i have not to find but this hands remind me anything but i don't remember where i have seen it or it is another one, however i'll try to find in my other books or if i remember better.. Although let see to complete successly, bye.

Thanks; it did seem familiar but I have not been able to find that book either. But there is a similar hand in Practical Bridge Endings also by Chien-Hwa Wang, but looking at that closely it is not the same theme. Interestingly, when East has a singleton heart honour, the heart lead does not beat it by breaking up the guard squeeze, as then there is club communication. So, on the probable layout with East having 5-1-1-6 with a stiff heart honour, West is Morton-forked on the opening lead in that he needs to lead a heart and club simultaneously!

Declarer reaches some ending like this:

Declarer must not cash a top spade at any point, and now leads the last diamond pitching a spade and the defence cannot hold the ending. Just a non-simultaneous double squeeze.

#28 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-04, 08:06

View Postlamford, on 2014-August-03, 05:04, said:

Thanks; it did seem familiar but I have not been able to find that book either. But there is a similar hand in Practical Bridge Endings also by Chien-Hwa Wang. Interestingly, when East has a singleton heart honour, the heart lead does not beat it by breaking up the guard squeeze, as then there is club communication. So, on the probable layout with East having 5-1-1-6 with a stiff heart honour, West is Morton-forked on the opening lead in that he needs to lead a heart and club simultaneously!

Declarer reaches some ending like this:

Declarer must not cash a top spade at any point, and now leads the last diamond pitching a spade and the defence cannot hold the ending. Just a non-simultaneous double squeeze.

In the book your mentioned and that i have (Cardigan Books in London is indicated a phone number and a fax [at that time]) there is anything neither in clash nor in guard and the author don't talk about compound. I have seen in Romanet (there is an hand for defense to compound with a lovely description to had to do (descarting yes and des. not that probably i think to refer). I am now in Giulianova Lido, Abruzzo in Italy for a fortnight holiday guest Grand Hotel Don Juan and i have not disponible books, bye.

#29 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-August-04, 09:04

View PostLovera, on 2014-August-04, 08:06, said:

In the book your mentioned and that i have (Cardigan Books in London is indicated a phone number and a fax [at that time]) there is anything neither in clash nor in guard and the author don't talk about compound. I have seen in Romanet (there is an hand for defense to compound with a lovely description to had to do (descarting yes and des. not that probably i think to refer). I am now in Giulianova Lido, Abruzzo in Italy for a fortnight holiday guest Grand Hotel Don Juan and i have not disponible books, bye.

OK, then I misremembered. The theme does seem familiar however. Maybe some squeeze aficionados can help as to where it was first published. It was Cadogan Books, by the way. Enjoy your holiday.

#30 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-04, 17:09

A consideration about compound squeeze: there are of two type. First - type R - can be represented in this form : N/S (s) unilateral A x/ K x x A x / K x x 1.st sq. c 2.nd sq. c. / idle card © The unilateral is correctly oriented on the opp sitting at the right of squeeze card and is common element of two balanced double squeeze ending of three cards: when you play 1.st squeeze card West discarting select one of this two ending. If the unilateral was oriented instead on left however discarting East can be we don't get any valid ending (inverted orientation). Second- type L - can be represented in this form: N /S (s) T. / A K x A x / T. A x(=unilateral) / T. idle c. idle c. / 1.st sq. c. 2.nd sq. c. © [T.= transfert card]. Now the squeeze card is in South and the controll of the unilaeral is in West. But let's suppose that the unilateral was oriented on East : its just discart is in spade (="s") because If not so - discarting in heart - we have in this case two menace differently oriented and then declarear leads the 2.nd squeeze card (= last free winner) and go in North and now each winner squeeze both the opp. each time (before the first winner squeeze one opp then the second squeeze the other) reciprocally : this infact is the reciprocal squeeze. For refer at our problem we have double thread spade and heart and unilateral club.

#31 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-August-05, 11:09

View PostLovera, on 2014-August-04, 17:09, said:

A consideration about compound squeeze: there are of two type. First - type R - can be represented in this form : N/S (s) unilateral A x/ K x x A x / K x x 1.st sq. c 2.nd sq. c. / idle card © The unilateral is correctly oriented on the opp sitting at the right of squeeze card and is common element of two balanced double squeeze ending of three cards: when you play 1.st squeeze card West discarting select one of this two ending. If the unilateral was oriented instead on left however discarting East can be we don't get any valid ending (inverted orientation). Second- type L - can be represented in this form: N /S (s) T. / A K x A x / T. A x(=unilateral) / T. idle c. idle c. / 1.st sq. c. 2.nd sq. c. © [T.= transfert card]. Now the squeeze card is in South and the controll of the unilaeral is in West. But let's suppose that the unilateral was oriented on East : its just discart is in spade (="s") because If not so - discarting in heart - we have in this case two menace differently oriented and then declarear leads the 2.nd squeeze card (= last free winner) and go in North and now each winner squeeze both the opp. each time (before the first winner squeeze one opp then the second squeeze the other) reciprocally : this infact is the reciprocal squeeze. For refer at our problem we have double thread spade and heart and unilateral club.

I couldn't have explained it better.

#32 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-06, 06:57

I think that i' d have found the solution: initially i have considered club 9 as doubleton having rescontred problems in heart and not work on heart as double thread. But it seems to me there is a second possibility: club 9 4th and then play for (s) Q J 9 x x (h) Q 10 (d) 6 © 7 5 4 3 2 in East and then 3 - 4 - 2 - 4 in West. In this case we'd have a compound squeeze with in heart an alternate menace considering discarting of West.

#33 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 05:04

View Postrhm, on 2013-October-21, 03:12, said:

There is no compound squeeze.
East controls clubs behind dummy.
So the basic threat would have to be hearts, which West must have under sole control.
Still no compound squeeze since you have no communication in clubs. Both opponents would keep clubs and the compound squeeze would fail.

View Postlamford, on 2014-August-02, 12:35, said:

I think that of those four statements, only the second is likely to be true; at least I assume that the 2NT bidder has a club guard! But I agree that the squeeze is not compound.

I explained in my four statements, why the necessary conditions for a compound are not present.

You wrote that "only the second (statement) is likely to be true"
Then you write: "But I agree that the squeeze is not compound"
How does this differ from my first statement "There is no compound squeeze." , which you claimed likely not to be true.
If there is no material difference you are contradicting yourself.

Any compound squeeze require a basic threat, which must be guarded by only one defender sitting under the threat. (e.g. Clyde E Love, Bridge Squeezes Complete)
The only basic threat I could see was in hearts against West.
East club guard is not a basic threat in compound squeeze terminology, because East is sitting behind (not under the) dummy and this violates the definition of a basic threat.

That's why I wrote
"So the basic threat would have to be hearts, which West must have under sole control." (statement 3)
What is wrong with that?

Then I explained that even if the basic threat in the heart suit would be present, still another necessary condition for a compound squeeze is violated: .
"Still no compound squeeze since you have no communication in clubs. Both opponents would keep clubs and the compound squeeze would fail." (statement 4)

What is wrong with this? .

Note, I never said there is no squeeze.
I only explained why there is no compound squeeze, with which you seem in agreement and disagreement at the same time.

Rainer Herrmann

#34 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-August-19, 05:10

View Postrhm, on 2014-August-19, 05:04, said:

I explained in my four statements, why the necessary conditions for a compound are not present.

You wrote that "only the second (statement) is likely to be true"
Then you write: "But I agree that the squeeze is not compound"
How does this differ from my first statement "There is no compound squeeze." , which you claimed likely not to be true.
If there is no material difference you are contradicting yourself.

Any compound squeeze require a basic threat, which must be guarded by only one defender sitting under the threat. (e.g. Clyde E Love, Bridge Squeezes Complete)
The only basic threat I could see was in hearts against West.
East club guard is not a basic threat in compound squeeze terminology, because East is sitting behind (not under the) dummy and this violates the definition of a basic threat.

That's why I wrote
"So the basic threat would have to be hearts, which West must have under sole control." (statement 3)
What is wrong with that?

Then I explained that even if the basic threat in the heart suit would be present, still another necessary condition for a compound squeeze is violated: .
"Still no compound squeeze since you have no communication in clubs. Both opponents would keep clubs and the compound squeeze would fail." (statement 4)

What is wrong with this? .

Note, I never said there is no squeeze.
I only explained why there is no compound squeeze, with which you seem in agreement and disagreement at the same time.

Rainer Herrmann

You went on to say: "So this hand looks like an ordinary double squeeze." Which it is not either. I think it is a simple guard squeeze but I am not an expert and if some variations can be a compound guard squeeze I will bow to lovera's superior knowledge of the subject. It is a double squeeze only if West leads a heart. If you had written "the likely squeeze is not compound", I would have agreed with you. But you wrote "there is no compound squeeze", wording that, followed by the statement in the first line above, strongly implied that you thought that one needed an ordinary double squeeze, and I pointed out the contract is quite likely to be cold, and the squeeze is not compound. What is wrong with that?

You also wrote: "So the basic threat would have to be hearts, which West must have under sole control." I wrongly interpreted that to mean "For South to succeed, the basic threat would have to be hearts, which West must have under sole control." I was unaware that you intended it to mean "For the squeeze to meet the requirement to be compound, the basic threat would have to be hearts, which West must have under sole control", but I covered myself by agreeing that the squeeze was not compound.

#35 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 14:56

View PostMinorKid, on 2013-November-14, 08:43, said:

Ha that's the deal (similar) we had bid and made to 7 :lol:

I have found another (i don't think be the same of yours) with similar statement (ending bidding diamond 7 West leads club Queen). Why don't tell us ?

#36 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-21, 01:27

On reponse to post 34 by lamford: thank you for compliment, i will suggest for knowledge about guard squeeze ( - post ) the internet adress http://post.queensu....mary/guard.html and you can have all the informations about it. I want to say that i don't see any ending of this type until now (i realize first time one in post of Minorkid "Is there a squeeze ?"), bye.

#37 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 15:10

View PostLovera, on 2014-August-06, 06:57, said:

I think that i' d have found the solution: initially i have considered club 9 as doubleton having rescontred problems in heart and not work on heart as double thread. But it seems to me there is a second possibility: club 9 4th and then play for (s) Q J 9 x x (h) Q 10 (d) 6 © 7 5 4 3 2 in East and then 3 - 4 - 2 - 4 in West. In this case we'd have a compound squeeze with in heart an alternate menace considering discarting of West.

Although this solution is not "against any defence" because if W and E retains hearts, the King in dummy is leaving an idle card in E and double squeeze (type R simultaneous) doesn't work. Than, until in dummy needs to cash King of club (pitching an heart), running diamonds minus one(=next-to-last free winner or 1.st squeeze card) and cashing the two top spades (to polite ending) and now last diamond makes starting a balanced double squeeze. But if W descarts hearts on 1.st squeeze card of diamond (E must descarts spades) rescouting last diamond and leading a little to Ace in hearts suit in dummy W is squeezed in spade/club for 13th trick.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users