• You cannot reply to this topic

Play 7NT

#1 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2013-October-20, 19:22

bidding is reversed, south is dealer and opens 1, therefore east made the 2NT overcall and south is declarer.
West leads the 9 (high from a doubleton, low from 3/4), and you win the ace (good play). Plan the play.
Become yourself.

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2013-October-20, 23:19

View PostLord Molyb, on 2013-October-20, 19:22, said:

bidding is reversed, south is dealer and opens 1, therefore east made the 2NT overcall and south is declarer.
West leads the 9 (high from a doubleton, low from 3/4), and you win the ace (good play). Plan the play.

You have the hands screwed up. You have north holding the south hand and you have West making 2NT overcall when it really should be East. So the club nine from doubleton makes no sense.

Anyway, you have to play this as a compound squeeze.It is a bit of big hope that East has seven clubs... but who knows, but the club nine lead suggest that the QJT may be with the overcaller, so you don't need him (east, now west) to hold seven club.... Fix the hand and we will return to solution.

--Ben--

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-21, 02:32

As I understand it, East showed the black suits, South is declarer, and West led 9.

I don't see how the compound squeeze can work against best defence. Suppose that we cash a second club, throwing a heart, then start cashing diamonds. With one to go, we reach:

On the last diamond, West throws a heart. We can't squeeze East in the round suits because the club menace is in the wrong hand.

Edit: We should probably play this line anyway, because East may mistakenly keep spades rather than hearts, or West may have both heart honours. Then the last diamond followed by A works.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2013-October-21, 02:39

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 03:12

There is no compound squeeze.
East controls clubs behind dummy.
So the basic threat would have to be hearts, which West must have under sole control.
Still no compound squeeze since you have no communication in clubs. Both opponents would keep clubs and the compound squeeze would fail.
But the 9 lead gives you hope that East has now sole control of the clubs. If the lead is honest, East would have to be 5-7 in the blacks.

So this hand looks like an ordinary double squeeze.
Since West did not lead hearts hope that East has a singleton, likely to be the queen or king.
If East can control clubs and hearts and West spades there will be no squeeze against competent defense.
However, an average West holding something like 7xx and KTxx in the majors might relinquish control in spades on the run of the diamonds, in which case you have a simple squeeze against East.
Just cash your second club (not necessary here, but it is more likely to induce West to a discarding error).
You discard a heart from hand and now run your diamonds, discarding three hearts and one spade from dummy.
West will have to keep hearts and East clubs and nobody can keep three spades.

Rainer Herrmann

#5 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 03:12

I would play West for KQ, or East for a singleton heart, with the line Andy suggested. I would just call that a double-squeeze, though :)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-October-21, 03:19

View PostLord Molyb, on 2013-October-20, 19:22, said:

West leads the 9 (high from a doubleton, low from 3/4)
Agree with Rainer. AK discarding a . s discarding a . A. Unless 8 or J are good, s from the top.

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 16:29

Sorry offtopic.

Whenever I read 'Western Cuebid', I think of John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. I still don't know what that term stands for.

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-October-21, 17:48

Just replace it with the words "stopper ask" Fluffy. Alternatively, the description "treat like fourth suit forcing" usually works too. In this auction it is essentially the opposite of the popular method where you bid the suit where you hold values after the opponents have shown two suits.
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2013-October-22, 06:47

Western cue-bid = California? Some people call it that here.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#10 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Physics<br>Play pool<br><br>Studying Precision System

Posted 2013-November-14, 08:43

Ha that's the deal (similar) we had bid and made to 7 :lol:

#11 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-July-31, 23:56

East has bidden 2 NT (is it not has all the remaining points ? ). If club 9 is in a doubleton we play probably for (s) 3/4 (h) 2 (d) 1/- © 7 and playing diamond we can read distribution then .. with a little help from my friends..

#12 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-August-01, 04:22

View PostLovera, on 2014-July-31, 23:56, said:

East has bidden 2 NT (is it not has all the remaining points ? ). If club 9 is in a doubleton we play probably for (s) 3/4 (h) 2 (d) 1/- © 7 and playing diamond we can read distribution then .. with a little help from my friends..

Do you find it likely that East showed both black suits with 3217 shape?

#13 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-01, 06:10

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-August-01, 04:22, said:

Do you find it likely that East showed both black suits with 3217 shape?

Is 2 NT bidding Unusual No Trump ?

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-August-01, 06:54

View PostLovera, on 2014-August-01, 06:10, said:

Is 2 NT bidding Unusual No Trump ?

You can call it what you like but if you click on the bid (with yellow background) in the OP you can read what it means.

#15 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-01, 07:23

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-August-01, 06:54, said:

You can call it what you like but if you click on the bid (with yellow background) in the OP you can read what it means.

I don't know this one (that is what i have said) principally it is important there is a bidding and a jump for attribution of points and then relative controlls.

#16 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-02, 03:04

This hands (expecially if really played in any tournament) is interesting for vary situation, possibilities and consideration of squeezes. Then when in my post i have said (i have not think to click on bidding knowing altough it when i have played) i refer to number of cards of controll necessary for a position of squeeze and catching any possibilities to consider ultheriorly : infact if are indicated spade and club means almost 4 cards (i have said 3/4 on this aim). Beeing necessary to have more informations and not preclude any possibilities of squeeze i, after winning first trick with Ace , leave King in club playing diamond Ace for looking East if respond or not : the possibility of 5 spade is good or also if 4 East discarding an heart (equivalent).

#17 User is online   awm 

Posted 2014-August-02, 09:54

I would come to the following end position with North to lead:

It seems that West started with doubleton club, and two rounds of clubs have been played here, so if dummy's club is not good East must have the guard. I am hoping that West has the only heart guard here; that would give East either a singleton (quite possible given the apparent at least 5-6 in the blacks) or simply neither of the king and queen. In this case neither opponent can hold more than two spades, and the south hand is good.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#18 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-02, 10:30

I think you are cold as well if both opponents are still guarding both clubs and spades after trick one, as long as East has a singleton heart honour, quite likely with the lack of a top heart lead v 7NT. Say that West has led the 9 from T9x, deceptively. You win cash a high spade, AND the second high club (essential). Now run all the diamonds to reach this ending, with the lead in South:

South leads the six of diamonds, pitching the eight of hearts (or even the eight of spades as I find later). Say West throws a spade and East a club. Now you cash the last diamond, pitching the eight of spades (although if West throws a club you can also throw the jack of hearts) and both opponents are toast. I think it is just a guard squeeze. Nice hand!

This post has been edited by lamford: 2014-August-03, 03:29

I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#19 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-02, 12:35

View Postrhm, on 2013-October-21, 03:12, said:

There is no compound squeeze.
East controls clubs behind dummy.
So the basic threat would have to be hearts, which West must have under sole control.
Still no compound squeeze since you have no communication in clubs. Both opponents would keep clubs and the compound squeeze would fail.

I think that of those four statements, only the second is likely to be true; at least I assume that the 2NT bidder has a club guard! But I agree that the squeeze is not compound.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#20 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-03, 00:19

View Postlamford, on 2014-August-02, 10:30, said:

I think you are cold as well if both opponents are still guarding both clubs and spades after trick one, as long as East has a singleton heart honour, quite likely with the lack of a top heart lead v 7NT. Say that West has led the 9 from T9x, deceptively. You win cash a high spade, AND the second high club (essential). Now run all the diamonds to reach this ending, with the lead in South:

South leads the six of diamonds, pitching the eight of hearts and the first part of the squeeze operates. Say West throws a spade and East a club. Now you cash the last diamond, pitching from the black suit West doesn't discard in (so you do have to read the distribution), and both opponents are toast. I think it is just a double guard squeeze. The double squeeze may also still operate here, and you may have to choose. I am not sure as I am not an expert on squeezes, and this line works of course if one of the black suits was never guarded by West. Nice hand, though!

It is not just so: infact W discard two spades and E two clubs and you discard club 10 mantening opp controll ; this is an incomplete ending of compound guard squeeze but is required another winner in spade that take another idle card . Then 10 9 x in club is MUP (middle-up-down) and we consider instead 9 from a doubleton as initially said (post 1).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users