JEC 10/12 Board 18 5 level decision

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-October-14, 22:42

Double or bid?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2013-October-15, 08:24

Other room

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#3 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-15, 08:49

Well, if the NS spade honors hadn't been split*, we'd be happy with the result. :)

I wonder if anyone would consider the auction at jillybean's table to be forcing over West's 5? If it is, then North can pass and pass the buck let partner in on the decision. But it doesn't look clearly forcing to me. How would an experienced partnership approach this question?

*and if I played it right -- I need to lead the first spade off the dummy. Dangit.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2013-October-15, 10:28

I'm not sure if Forcing Pass is relevant here, if I pass partner will think I have a minimum 1H response.
Partner opened, I have opening hand and a possible double fit, we are red vs. white.
My bid says I think we can make 5, double says we can take them for more than 650, pass was not an option.
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2013-October-15, 16:56

Unless you had special agreements, your 1 bid only showed 4 hearts (as double promises 4=4 in both majors). Therefore, I am not a fan of kristen's 3 bid.
In the other room, if you have agreed a style where 2 can be a 5332 hand (and that certainly makes sense to me in that seat!), then maybe 4 is enough on the East cards - you don't want to play at the 5-level with two balanced hands.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2013-October-15, 17:52

View Postcherdano, on 2013-October-15, 16:56, said:

Unless you had special agreements, your 1 bid only showed 4 hearts (as double promises 4=4 in both majors). Therefore, I am not a fan of kristen's 3 bid.

Point taken, thank you. What do you do with the North hand after 5?
(still learning)

#7 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-15, 18:27

View Postcherdano, on 2013-October-15, 16:56, said:

In the other room, if you have agreed a style where 2 can be a 5332 hand (and that certainly makes sense to me in that seat!), then maybe 4 is enough on the East cards - you don't want to play at the 5-level with two balanced hands.

Good point; we should talk about that. We haven't discussed style much. I just figured that at favorable opposite a passed hand I could take a liberty or two.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#8 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-22, 07:45

You have no business bidding 5H.
If you bid 5H, you need a 75% chance of making, the percentage number
is just a guess, but the success rate needs to be a lot higher than 50%.
For starters, 3H did not show (much) add. strength, and you happen to hold
only inv. strength, ok you have a 9 card fit, anyway why do you believe,
4H makes? You have most likely (-)25HCP between you, and a 9 card fit, this
makes 4H a good shot, but does not make it certain.

Hence go for blood.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#9 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-22, 07:55

View Postjillybean, on 2013-October-15, 10:28, said:

I'm not sure if Forcing Pass is relevant here, if I pass partner will think I have a minimum 1H response.
Partner opened, I have opening hand and a possible double fit, we are red vs. white.
My bid says I think we can make 5, double says we can take them for more than 650, pass was not an option.

No. Double does not say, you get more than 650. It just says, that you dont believe that 5H has a reasonable
chance of making, and you try to get, what is possible. You take the money, instead of chasing the rainbow.

And forcing pass playes a role. As far as I see, North is unlimited, i.e. slam is still an option, and you
need a way to invite slam if it is on.
But is the auction a forcing pass seq.: No.
Unless you agree, that forcing pass is on, if they are clearly sacrificing, which is not the case with the
given auction, contrast would be the auction in the other room, but there you also have an 2/1 response
oppossite an opening. And it is a dangerous agreement anyway.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#10 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-23, 00:45

View Postjillybean, on 2013-October-14, 22:42, said:

Double or bid?

You aren't to know that EW have perfectly awful shaped hands. Your partners shouldn't have been so aggressive- its only worth a raise at most to 4 which should be passed by partner.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users