BBO Discussion Forums: Bridge World Magazine - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge World Magazine

Poll: Bridge world magazine (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you subscribe to BW

1. yes (44 votes [64.71%])

Percentage of vote: 64.71%

2. no (24 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-11, 00:49

Curious to know how many forum members read BW magazine?

Do you pay for any other bridge magazines from around the world, pay extra than your membership dues?

I exclude ACBL magazine paid by our dues.

#2 User is offline   wodahs 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-October-13, 21:47

The internet is killing BW, sadly. I took a look at their subscription numbers (they publish them late in the year) a few months back, and circulation has been in a nosedive for the past few years.

#3 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-October-13, 22:04

thanks for comment.

I note only 12 voted yes in the forums to reading BW and we all love reading about bridge. :)

#4 User is offline   marcD 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-14, 03:02

I used to for many years . However I felt the quality dropped around year 2000 (or may be it was just me losing interest) + I had a lot of problems with missing issues because of international mail .

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2013-October-14, 03:16

I stopped subscribing some four years ago. I think I got fed up with the hassle of address changes but I don't remember for sure.

I subscribe to IMP (a Dutch magazine for advanced bridge players).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-14, 03:56

I had a subscription to BW for one year about 10 years ago, but it didn't match my expectations. I've had a subscription to IMP for about 15 years, I guess. It's much better, but you need to be able to read Dutch.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#7 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-October-14, 12:25

I have a subscription of BW and IMP, I like them both.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#8 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-15, 02:24

I have a lifetime subscription of BW and by now have quite a collection of them.
I never had a problem with them and missing arrivals is a non issue for me even though I live in Europe.
I have never regretted this investment and I have never seen a Bridge journal, which is better overall for expert players, or players who want to be.
No, I can not read Dutch and I have seen only a few IMP articles translated.
Of course people like Kaplan (and many others) are sadly missed.

Rainer Herrmann

#9 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-15, 21:09

Trinidad, on 2013-October-14, 03:56, said:

I had a subscription to BW for one year about 10 years ago, but it didn't match my expectations. I've had a subscription to IMP for about 15 years, I guess. It's much better, but you need to be able to read Dutch.

Rik

Aside from the language issue, in what respects is IMP better?

#10 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-October-16, 01:16

:P Hard copy magazines of all kinds are being supplanted by electronic media. The people who publish the hard copy bridge magazines are splendid, imo, but they represent no exception.

#11 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-16, 02:32

jallerton, on 2013-October-15, 21:09, said:

Aside from the language issue, in what respects is IMP better?

I looked up the old BW magazines that I still had. I had a subscription from May 2000 to April 2001. At the time I was living in Sweden and had a subscription to IMP as well.

Both magazines are essentially similar when it comes to content. Obviously, IMP is written from a Dutch perspective whereas BW is written from an American perspective. At the time, this was an advantage for BW since, though I am Dutch, I had learnt to play bridge while I was studying in the USA. I didn't know much about bridge in the Netherlands when I was living in Sweden.

So, let's focus on the differences:

Disclaimer: the following is my subjective opinion. While I am willing to share it, since jallerton asked, but I won't discuss it since it is subjective.
A comparison between IMP and the BW:
- IMP has a much fresher layout, making it easier and more fun to read.
- IMP is written much better. Texts that should be concise are concise. When a text is longer, it is written vividly. In the BW there are lots of long pieces of text that should have been edited. They say very little, are boring and hard to read.

In short, though both magazines aim at the same level of bridge player (perhaps IMP even slightly higher), IMP reads like a magazine (think Country Living) whereas the BW reads like a scientific journal (think Journal of Physics).

- IMP is giving arguments. At the time, the BW held a pole on the BW standard system. This was filling pages of the magazine, asking the reader's opinion. The end of the story was that convention A was chosen over convention B. Few comments, no arguments. IMP choses to discuss conventions, write about arguments for and against their use and may or may not give their own opinion.

Other than that, there were some more trivial things that made IMP better:
- Shipping to Sweden was much better for IMP. The BW came at irregular times. I could have the May issue at home, but still wait for the April issue.
- IMP was less expensive than the bridge world. This is odd, since -due to the language- the BW has a market potential that is much bigger than that of IMP. In other fields, books, magazines, TV shows, etc. in Dutch are more expensive than the equivalent in English: the same cost is shared by fewer subscribers to the Dutch magazines.

Tough I "felt" pretty strong that as a serious bridge player it was a must to have a BW subscription, after a year it wasn't really hard to decide to cancel.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#12 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-16, 11:14

I'm no expert, but some years ago when I had more time and money to devote to the game I subscribed to BW because I enjoyed the analysis and the challenging problems. (I loved the Swiss Match articles especially.) Were I in a similar situation today I would probably re-subscribe.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#13 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2013-October-17, 13:15

I have a lifetime subscription from 1977. Cost $150. Think TBW spent more in postage than $150. How does TBW know when I have passed?

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-23, 17:56

jogs, on 2013-October-17, 13:15, said:

I have a lifetime subscription from 1977. Cost $150. Think TBW spent more in postage than $150. How does TBW know when I have passed?

Maybe they make more money in commercials and showing you alive and reading while you are not is in their interest ? I am just guessing.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#15 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-23, 18:59

Well if they invested the $150 in 1977 on the S&P 500 they would have over $4200 by 2012, for about $10/issue?

This is not exactly the right calculation, but getting paid up-front in 1977 dollars must be worth something.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#16 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-October-24, 06:21

I subscribe to BW. I was not aware of the lifetime subscription option but unless there is a sliding scale as we get older it probably would not be a good deal for me.

Note that I said that I subscribe. I also get various mathematics journals. Reading them is another matter. I used to play a good deal more than I do now, and when I played more I read more. This applies to both bridge and mathematics, and no doubt to a lot of other things. I once subscribed to both Hot Rod and Motor Trend, for example, but I was much more involved with cars then.

I will be keeping my BW subscription for the foreseeable future, sort of a loyalty thing, but I am hoping no one comes around to quiz me on the contents. I have occasionally played BWS, but not often. As with many things, the idea sounds good, somehow it never seems to work out well.
Ken

#17 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2017-February-20, 03:40

Perhaps i don't understand what is the problem but if you want i can put it(=IMP) online as i did for Bridge d'italia Online (magazine on italian forum) it being that on Chrome you can choise to translate in your language.

#18 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-20, 10:39

I have a lifetime subscription. Last year, they sent me a notice and said that they were in trouble and were hoping that lifetime subscribers would considering paying the annual rate anyway or gift a subscription to someone else in order to keep the magazine going.

#19 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-February-20, 12:50

Kaitlyn S, on 2017-February-20, 10:39, said:

I have a lifetime subscription. Last year, they sent me a notice and said that they were in trouble and were hoping that lifetime subscribers would considering paying the annual rate anyway or gift a subscription to someone else in order to keep the magazine going.

So did you?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#20 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-February-20, 12:57

I subscribe. While I've let it lapsed a few times over the past 20 years when things were lean, I greatly enjoy reading the mag and look forward to it when it comes around the 12th of each month.

Trying to take MSC a little more seriously. I won in September, but I'd like to become more consistent.

I probably have about 150 issues around the house. I bought a few of the binders but found that I was taking them out to read and to take on trips.

If you consider yourself a top-tier player, I think having a subscription is mandatory, assuming you aren't destitute. It's a small way of 'giving back', because BW is a feeder for new ideas and innovation. Without the mag, I don't think that we would have as many new ideas.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users