• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Obscure movies Movies we may have missed

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-January-19, 14:39

View Postggwhiz, on 2014-January-18, 14:07, said:

The Fearless Vampire Killers by Roman Polanski was Sharon Tates last movie was very funny but seems to have skipped the late night tv circuit.

When I went to college in the 80's and worked in the club that showed movies on campus, this would show up periodically in our annual sci-fi movie marathon.

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-19, 17:20

Sounds like the instructions that say "a ten year old could do it!"

Fine. Find me a ten year old. ;)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-19, 19:37

My 2012 favorite was "The Artist". I won free tickets for two to this movie in some obscure contest on Facebook, and i went with my 10 yo son to watch it. As we signed up at the desk the clerk kept repeating to us "this is a black and white mute movie, you know that - right?" She kept looking at my son, probably thinking "Oh, poor kid, the films his mom makes him watch..." In the end my son loved the movie and he even caught a few things that I had missed. Not gonna spoil your fun, but if you have a chance to watch this movie I think it's worth it :)

#24 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-19, 20:42

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-January-19, 19:37, said:

My 2012 favorite was "The Artist". I won free tickets for two to this movie in some obscure contest on Facebook, and i went with my 10 yo son to watch it. As we signed up at the desk the clerk kept repeating to us "this is a black and white mute movie, you know that - right?" She kept looking at my son, probably thinking "Oh, poor kid, the films his mom makes him watch..." In the end my son loved the movie and he even caught a few things that I had missed. Not gonna spoil your fun, but if you have a chance to watch this movie I think it's worth it :)

Hi Diana, not sure a three year old best picture Oscar winner qualifies as obscure. :)

#25 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-20, 05:13

View Postdwar0123, on 2014-January-19, 20:42, said:

Hi Diana, not sure a three year old best picture Oscar winner qualifies as obscure. :)

LOL I didn't know it won the Oscar. Ah well... I'd better do my googling first :)

#26 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All types of games especially bridge & war games.
    old bidding systems & computer simulation programming.

Posted 2014-January-27, 01:56

I seem to have no problem in finding obscure movies; my only worry is will anyone else enjoy them.

That said, let me offer "The Shadow Dancer": a gritty little tale about "the troubles" in Belfast. It's taut but not excessively violent, and probably true to life. A word of warning: either I've lost my ear for female Northern Irish accents, or I'm losing my hearing, or there's a problem with the sound. Probably worth watching but not worth searching for.

:D

#27 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-February-03, 05:44

one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen is The Cave of The Yellow Dog. http://en.wikipedia...._the_Yellow_Dog
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#28 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 20:27

Congratulations. Surely that must be the most obscure movie mentioned so far!

#29 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-February-14, 10:39

1956) The Girl Can't Help It)

Plot: This movie is considered one of the earliest rock and roll films. Fats Domino, Julie London, Eddie Fontaine, Little Richard (who sings the theme song), Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran are among the singers who have cameos in the film.

Jayne plays "Jerri Jordon", the girlfriend of one time top mobster "Fats Murdoch" (Edmond O'Brien) His desire is to turn his nobody of a girlfriend into a singing sensation and he hires one time top agent, but now down on his luck, Tom Miller (Tom Ewell) to promote her and make her into a success. The problem is, Jerri doesn't want anything to do with a career, she just wants to be a wife. Things start to go wrong as Jerri and Tom realize they are falling in love with each other...where does that leave Fats?

More info: Jayne was very hopeful that Warner Brothers would offer her good quality roles after her work in The Burglar but she was surprised when they dropped her. Her agent told her to not worry, he would get her work on Broadway, but she wasn't too impressed with that idea. She wanted to be a movie star. But, she went to New York and auditioned for a part in George Axelrod's Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? and got the part of Rita Marlowe. The play was a success and while working on it, she was offered a role in the film The Girl Can't Help It . So, while not working on Broadway,she was busy filming The Girl Can't Help It . The play, Rock Hunter, eventually closed after 20th Century Fox bought the rights to it, so they could turn it into a movie starring you guessed it... Jayne.

http://www.squidoo.c...ansfield-movies

#30 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-14, 11:03

I saw "The Girl Can't Help It" when it first came out. "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter" is my favorite Jayne Mansfield movie. She does a self-aware self-satire and is very good at it. She was the butt of jokes (any double entendre not really intended) but she was laughing all the way to the bank. For anyone too young to know (and they probably don't care), Mariska Hargitay of Law and Order SVU is her daughter.
Ken

#31 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-26, 01:10

Saw a movie, "Winter's bone", which strangely impressed me. It's about hill-billies and seems chillingly authentic.

Now this may well not be an obscure movie in the US. After all it stars Jennifer Lawrence and has won a Sundance award.

I can't see it making the main cinema circuit in Australia, more like an art-house movie.

#32 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-March-26, 04:26

View PostScarabin, on 2014-March-26, 01:10, said:

Saw a movie, "Winter's bone", which strangely impressed me. It's about hill-billies and seems chillingly authentic.

Now this may well not be an obscure movie in the US. After all it stars Jennifer Lawrence and has won a Sundance award.

I can't see it making the main cinema circuit in Australia, more like an art-house movie.

I really liked it too. It was kind of a breakthrough role for JLaw but I think not many people know about it. I definitely find her performance in Winter's Bone more impressive than her Oscar-winning one in the Silver Linings film. But I would never have seen Winter's Bone if it wasn't for her Oscar.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#33 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-26, 09:01

I recently watched The Cruise, Bennett Miller's documentary about legendary New York City bus tour guide Timothy "Speed" Levitch. This was Miller's first film. He has since directed Capote, MoneyBall and Foxcatcher (upcoming). Reviewer Tad Friend described Miller's films as "marked by disaffection; they avoid homilies or uplift in favor of a kind of sparkling glumness."

I also saw Shepard & Dark. Sam Shepard is a fascinating, charming, brutally honest, self-centered loner who, in his own words, "keeps making the same mistakes over and over."
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#34 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-27, 00:16

View Postgwnn, on 2014-March-26, 04:26, said:

I really liked it too. It was kind of a breakthrough role for JLaw but I think not many people know about it. I definitely find her performance in Winter's Bone more impressive than her Oscar-winning one in the Silver Linings film. But I would never have seen Winter's Bone if it wasn't for her Oscar.

Good to hear. I am glad I'm not alone in liking this movie.

#35 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-27, 00:53

View PostScarabin, on 2014-March-26, 01:10, said:

It was nominated for best picture so it can't be that obscure! But it was one of the lowest box office draws to get nominated, so I agree not many people have seen it.

#36 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-27, 22:09

View PostMbodell, on 2014-March-27, 00:53, said:

It was nominated for best picture so it can't be that obscure! But it was one of the lowest box office draws to get nominated, so I agree not many people have seen it.

I guess I should have Googled it. I did suspect it might be too good to be obscure.

I find good movies often leave some unanswered questions:

(1) I take it Ree & Teardrop's final conversation means Teardrop put up part of Jessup's bail money?

(2) What clue caused Teardrop to know Jessup's killer? I think there was a clue just before Teardrop rescued Ree from Thump Milton, but this was before he arrived?

(3) Who was Ray? Teardrop took an axe to his truck?

Anyone got the answers?

#37 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-March-27, 23:16

I loved the movie.

Safe to say I have no idea who or of what you ask.

#38 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-28, 03:13

A Belgian Movie:
"Calvaire".
Google "calvaire dance scene", it will give you an idea of the obscurity.

#39 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-28, 05:13

View Postmike777, on 2014-March-27, 23:16, said:

I loved the movie.

Safe to say I have no idea who or of what you ask.

Ree, Teardrop, Jessup, Thump Milton, Ray, are all characters in Winter's Bone. Ree is the leading part, played by Jennifer Lawrence. Teardrop is her uncle, Jessup her father. Thump Milton is the leader of the Milton clan/family/gang. Ray is one of his henchmen and, I think, Jessup's direct killer.

#40 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-28, 05:22

View PostVampyr, on 2014-January-17, 04:36, said:

I am very curious how this book was made into a film, because the book (which I really enjoyed) was narrated by Death.

Having read and liked the book, I was prepared to be disappointed by the film, which is just as well because I was.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users