Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bermuda Bowl

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-28, 01:25

I wish we knew what many of the auctions mean.

Even BBO commentary does not know.

see bds 20-21-22

about 38 imps or so and why?

#2 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-28, 07:13

I was fast asleep at the time you posted, and it appears that so far only the first round is in the archives. But you inspired me to take a quick look. Board 4, first found. 3NT at both tables, making at one, down at the other. The bidding was not the way I do it, for example transfer responses to 1 at one table, and 1NT-2 at the other, showing either hearts or something else (in this case spades). But more or less I understood it. There was an interesting (to me) comment by ritong who prefers that the auction 1NT-2-2-2 be five spades and invitational.

Anyway, the swing came from the play rather than from the bidding. The successful line, found by Bochhi, was to not hold up at trick 1. With AJ6 in hand and 32 in dummy, the first trick went 7-2-Q-A. The K is to declarer's left, and his rho has no entry, giving declarer time to develop nine tricks.

A nice hand, useful for us all. Sometimes it is right to hold up, sometimes not. If it were simple to decide which is which, we could all play in the BB.
Ken

#3 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-28, 10:48

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#4 User is offline   bidule5 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-September-28, 13:38

View Postkenberg, on 2013-September-28, 07:13, said:

I was fast asleep at the time you posted, and it appears that so far only the first round is in the archives. But you inspired me to take a quick look. Board 4, first found. 3NT at both tables, making at one, down at the other. The bidding was not the way I do it, for example transfer responses to 1 at one table, and 1NT-2 at the other, showing either hearts or something else (in this case spades). But more or less I understood it. There was an interesting (to me) comment by ritong who prefers that the auction 1NT-2-2-2 be five spades and invitational.

Anyway, the swing came from the play rather than from the bidding. The successful line, found by Bochhi, was to not hold up at trick 1. With AJ6 in hand and 32 in dummy, the first trick went 7-2-Q-A. The K is to declarer's left, and his rho has no entry, giving declarer time to develop nine tricks.

A nice hand, useful for us all. Sometimes it is right to hold up, sometimes not. If it were simple to decide which is which, we could all play in the BB.

Bocchi & Jassem took the HA at trick one and made it (H7 lead), Fantoni & Levin didnt and went down (H9 lead).

what do you lead from S K 10 9 8 H K 9 8 7 D A 9 7 C 4 2
after 1N 2H 2S 3N ?

yvan

PS: I posted some vugraph archives:

http://vugraph-archi.../wtc/index.html

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-28, 14:54

View Postkenberg, on 2013-September-28, 07:13, said:

There was an interesting (to me) comment by ritong who prefers that the auction 1NT-2-2-2 be five spades and invitational.

I had that precise auction the other day with a once a month partner. I thought it was invitational, so with a max and 3 spades I drove to game. Nope, she was weak. <shrug>
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-September-30, 06:40

View Postmike777, on 2013-September-28, 01:25, said:

I wish we knew what many of the auctions mean.

When I kibbed vugraph a lot I always kept the CCs open and made sure I was familiar as possible with those of my chosen table. If I was kibbing at a table where the commentators preferred analysing the hands rather than having to look up the bidding all the time and they were looking for input then I would also pass on any meanings I could glean.

Sometimes an auction really is a mystery, particularly with pairs that write the minimum on the CC, but most of the time it is possible to find enough clues to understand what is going on. It is really not the job of the commentators to do this research (and the information is freely available to everyone online). For Meckwell auctions (and other Meckwell-Lite pairs) bigtrain can provide very accurate explanations when he is available.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2013-September-30, 07:09

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-September-30, 06:40, said:

... For Meckwell auctions (and other Meckwell-Lite pairs) bigtrain can provide very accurate explanations when he is available.

Bigtrain passed away this year. Thankfully we have Al Holland to help with most of that.

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-September-30, 08:22

Oh dear. Even though I only knew him through commentary, that makes me very sad. Thank you for sharing this information Dan.
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-02, 01:48

I am sad to hear that, he was one of the best commentators.

#10 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-October-30, 13:12

Hello. I think that a commentary about this type of (International) hands/players must be considered with a due respect. So standing things, perhaps, can be interesting to know why anything is or not happened. We are in Round Robin RR1TURKEY vs. FRANCE and in board 5 Acar bid 7 after partner has shown a control in heart(=A) with its overcall. Why him tries to find King of club in E and not impasse in diamond or think at a (probable) squeeze and in the other table with this type of hand and after the RKB sequence that has shown the Ace of heart and King of diamond how not to bid seven (here the squeeze is) ? ( http://vugraph-archi...3/wtc/RR017.PHP

#11 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-01, 02:37

Here in board 9 http://vugraph-archi...013/wtc/PO1.PHP Weistein-Levin choise to play in diamond (fit 4-4) little slam probably to sure against trump doesn't break. We can see that once club are estabilished in one or two rounds there are 13 tricks and with an RKB bidding is necessary indication of controll of second round (5NT ? - 6) to leave partner possibility to get grand.

#12 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-01, 07:05

In NETHERLANDS-CHINA we can see better this one: N/S ARNOLDS/VAN ZWOL Bidding 1-1, 2-3, 4-4, 4NT-5, 5NT-7 and play :after three rounds of trump Arnolds lead A and then Q.. It is interesting to note that after 4 three is not Minorwood but cue [with Q and 9 invertited in /maybe 4(=?)],bye.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users