• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TV Series - old & new Favourite TV series

#201 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-March-19, 14:50

Trigger warning: Negative comments ahead.

I am curious as to whether anyone (anyone on this thread) is still watching "This is us". Season 2 is over and that's it for me. I am a little embarrassed that I did not abandon it at the close of season 1. It's not all that bad, it's just that one season was plenty.

And Counterpart got a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. We made it through, I think, 4 episodes. Boring. I think Becky was ready to hang it up after maybe half the first episode, I could hear palpable relief when I suggested we stop after the fourth.

I liked Ten Days in the Valley but apparently nobody else did. After 4 or 5 episodes they cancelled it as a regular series and put the rest here and there, now and then. The wrap up was more than a little unsatisfactory, but I think nobody was bothering with details by then. The concept has merit. Ten Days suggests ten episodes. Ten and done. A good plan, I would like to see mre shows follow such a plan.

I liked Homeland, I have liked Claire Danes ever since My So-Called Life, but with Homeland enough was enough and more was way too much. I have long ago parted company with Homeland.

So maybe I go read a book. My daughter gave me a copy of Hag-Seed.
Ken

#202 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-March-19, 15:15

I still like "This is Us", I guess I like my heart strings tugged once a week.

I'm slogging my way through "Counterpart", I want to see where they're taking it.

I skipped last season of "Homeland", and I'm not sure why I came back this season, except that there was room on my DVR when it resumed. It definitely hasn't been as good since they killed off Brody.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming last season of "The Americans". It returns next week.

#203 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-19, 19:13

To be honest, I'm about ready to take my dvr back to Time Warner - excuse me, Spectrum - and just cancel the TV service altogether. :angry:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#204 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-March-19, 19:23

View Postbarmar, on 2018-March-19, 15:15, said:

I still like "This is Us", I guess I like my heart strings tugged once a week.

I took an immediate strong liking to Deja (I trust that when when is old enough she will shorten it to Deja) but it's not enough. I'll check back with you (well, maybe.) to see how she is faring. I am a hopeless sucker for a struggling kid.
Ken

#205 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-19, 21:09

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-March-19, 19:13, said:

To be honest, I'm about ready to take my dvr back to Time Warner - excuse me, Spectrum - and just cancel the TV service altogether. :angry:

I did exactly that long time ago.
Especially at this age of internet and capability to watch anything anyone wants, why people still bother to have TV services misses me.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#206 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-March-22, 11:58

Homeland -- Finally got around to watching this. Clare Danes is so good. The mysterious attraction between Mathison and Brody was interesting for awhile. So was the attempt to distinguish what makes us terrorists, self serving politicians and company men from what makes us human. The show ran out of steam for me at the end of season 1.

The Crown -- We watched Season 1 Episode 7 last night in which Churchill has a stroke and the queen discovers her inner monarch with the help of her tutor. The exchanges with her tutor about his horse racing bet, with Churchill about the covenant between the government and the crown, and with her husband about her change in stature were so good. I'd seen one of the earlier episodes. Will definitely watch more of this.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#207 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-March-22, 21:22

Final season of The Americans begins March 28.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#208 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2018-March-23, 04:07

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-March-22, 21:22, said:

Final season of The Americans begins March 28.

Even though it got bogged down a bit during the germ-warfare gambit, this series was continuously engaging with taut writing and very credible performances. Despite the current anti-Russian vibe you can feel for their angst concerning their loyalty to the "cause". I look forward to a, hopefully, vibrant and plausible ending.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#209 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-March-24, 20:51

I've been mini-binging season 2 of "Santa Clarita Diet" the past couple of days (2-4 episodes at a shot). It's still lots of fun. Timothy Olyphant is mostly known for dramatic roles (e.g. "Deadwood"), but he really chews up the scenery here. Meanwhile, Drew Barrymore is as cute as ever. And Liv Hewson, who plays their teenage daughter, is wonderful.

#210 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-April-17, 07:29

Possibly everybody but me was already aware of this upcoming series but here is a preview:
https://www.washingt...m=.e20d3429118b

I'll give it a try.
Ken

#211 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-17, 07:46

Visiting family in the States we got to catch the first 2 episodes of Cheers on Netflix, not available in Canada..aaargh!

I forgot how good it was with lines like

Coach: I'm going to finish the book I've been working on for 6 years.
Diane: Coach! You're writing a book?
Coach: No, reading one.

Or the guy who came in looking for a bartenders advice.

Guy: My son came home with his black fiancé.
Coach: I can handle this.
Guy: Wait, there's more
Coach: Never mind. Just say to your son, what's his name?
Guy: Ron
Coach: And his fiance?
Guy: Rick

Pretty edgy for 1982
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#212 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-April-18, 19:41

Just watched The Crown season 2 episode 2 in which Philip and Elizabeth discover something about the meaning of family that is quite moving. Foy and Smith are so good. Ditto for the whole production.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#213 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-April-18, 20:58

Anyone else trying The Crossing?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#214 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2018-April-19, 07:19

I am enjoying the new season of "The Expanse". If you like Sci-fi and "realistic" effects as well as a plausible storyline, this one is for you. The acting is above average and the character development is credible.

#215 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2018-April-19, 07:21

Also looking forward to the season premiere of "Into the badlands". Despite all the slo-mo blood-letting, the previous seasons were intriguing and entertaining.

#216 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-May-21, 20:17

NYT Watching recommends these 9 episodes of Cheers.

#217 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-May-28, 21:32

Forbrydelsen (2007) is very good. It's a Danish murder mystery.

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users