Posted 2013-September-13, 18:39

3 is a positive response.
Become yourself.

#2 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2013-September-13, 18:53

4. Partner made a slam try. Let's cooperate.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-15, 11:32

I can't image making those bids without agreement as to what they and continuations mean. I assume 4 is a control with diamonds as assumed trumps, so on that basis ask for aces with 4NT and bid 7NT if all are there, 6NT if two, 5 if one. If 4NT would be natural, I bid 4.

#4 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-15, 11:56

View PostfromageGB, on 2013-September-15, 11:32, said:

I can't image making those bids without agreement as to what they and continuations mean. I assume 4 is a control with diamonds as assumed trumps, so on that basis ask for aces with 4NT and bid 7NT if all are there, 6NT if two, 5 if one. If 4NT would be natural, I bid 4.

If there is no agreement, shouldn't 4 show, of all things, hearts?

If partner has diamonds, he can bid, er, diamonds.

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-15, 12:10

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-September-15, 11:56, said:

If there is no agreement, shouldn't 4 show, of all things, hearts?

If partner has diamonds, he can bid, er, diamonds.

This doesn't seem likely, responder to an unspecified 2 insisting on showing 2 suits without first hearing of his partner's hand, But if he did, surely he would bid hearts first, so 4 as his second suit clearly allows opener to do something in a forcing environment.

It seems much more likely that he has a good single-suiter than he wants opener to pass or convert to 5.

#6 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-15, 12:15

I think it also depends on related agreements. Does he have a method of showing a slam hand in diamonds if he made a "normal" reply to 2 (is there an "nonspecific" positive, or a waiting 2?) and opener rebid 3NT? If opener rebid a suit after a "normal" reply, can responder show a suit?

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-15, 12:26

View PostfromageGB, on 2013-September-15, 12:10, said:

This doesn't seem likely, responder to an unspecified 2 insisting on showing 2 suits without first hearing of his partner's hand, But if he did, surely he would bid hearts first, so 4 as his second suit clearly allows opener to do something in a forcing environment.

It seems much more likely that he has a good single-suiter than he wants opener to pass or convert to 5.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against agreeing that this sequence is a cue bid. But without agreement, it is natural, unlikely though that may be.

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-15, 13:10

6nt. We are off the club Ace and may miss 7 opposite a void but I don't like partners 4 bid if that's the case.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2013-September-15, 14:31

Let's see -- the missing honors are Q A KQJ AJ.

Partner has made a positive response at the 3 level and followed it up by bidding a second suit. (s must be a second suit because with s alone, 4 would be a slam try.) It seems to me that partner is marked at a minimum with the A and KQ(J)xx.

I'm bidding 6 NT.

#10 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-September-15, 14:36

Partner seems to have 4-6 in the reds. I can't see why 4H would not be natural here, why would I want it to mean anything else?
(I play 3D as forcing to 4NT, by the way)

So I would just bid 4NT. I have a minimum hand, only a doubleton diamond, only 3 hearts and the minimum number of controls. If we are making a slam, partner will bid it now (in fact 6NT is quite a likely call from him at this point) but I can't see why I have to bid it.

It's hugely unlikely that partner will pass this, but if he's got some miracle hand like Qxx Axxx KQJxxx - we have some hope of finding this out by going slowly.

#11 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2013-September-15, 14:40

View PostfromageGB, on 2013-September-15, 12:10, said:

It's quite a common agreement to bid the longer of two long suits first. I find it quite a useful convention, as it helps to distinguish between, say, 6=4 or 4=6 hands in hearts=diamonds.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#12 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2013-September-15, 16:36

4N. I tend to be conservative without a fit. If partner rebids 5D I will Pass - they might have been pushing the envelope hoping for a fit. This is a difficult problem.

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-September-15, 16:42

Let's see: we have shown a hand worth about 22-24 hcp, with no 5 card suit and no ability or desire to push past 3N over the space consuming 3. What is it about our hand that has changed?

4N.

What is it that he won't understand should we continue to make descriptive calls that match our hand?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-15, 18:09

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2013-September-15, 14:36, said:

only a doubleton diamond

Minimum would be void on any hand with long clubs, doubleton honor is more like the maximum we can have. 3 is a slam forward bid, not raising with 3 diamonds doesn't exist IMO.

KQJ are also golden. If partner has Axxx, K and another card we are big favourites in 6NT, so I would colaborate with 4.

#15 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-16, 06:58

Wow, to me this is a very good hand partner holds and I do not think he has H and nor do I care much. For partner to leap to 3D I can't expect much less than KQ 6th in D and the A of H,(perhaps short H and the A of C)but logical to me is to bid stayman holding a 4 major along with a 6 card minor. I am not fond of the responder bidding a positive 3D with minimums rather than finding out what the 2C hand is based on, and you just can't think partner has done some silly thing.

Mark me down for 4S on my way to 6D or NT.

#16 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-16, 07:02

View PostFluffy, on 2013-September-15, 18:09, said:

Minimum would be void on any hand with long clubs, doubleton honor is more like the maximum we can have. 3 is a slam forward bid, not raising with 3 diamonds doesn't exist IMO.

KQJ are also golden. If partner has Axxx, K and another card we are big favourites in 6NT, so I would colaborate with 4.

Exactly. If pard has xx ATxx KQxxxx x, and we sign off in 4NT, he will assume we have, of all things, a hand that probably cannot make a slam. eg:

AKQx
KQx
xx
AKQx

or

AKQ
KQx
x
AKJxxx

#17 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-September-16, 15:05

View PostFluffy, on 2013-September-15, 18:09, said:

Minimum would be void on any hand with long clubs, doubleton honor is more like the maximum we can have. 3 is a slam forward bid, not raising with 3 diamonds doesn't exist IMO.KQJ are also golden. If partner has Axxx, K and another card we are big favourites in 6NT, so I would colaborate with 4.

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-September-16, 07:02, said:

Exactly. If pard has xx ATxx KQxxxx x, and we sign off in 4NT, he will assume we have, of all things, a hand that probably cannot make a slam. eg:AKQxKQxxxAKQxorAKQKQxxAKJxxx

If I had short diamonds and long clubs then I would bid 4C over 3D. Why would I lie about my hand and show it as balanced when it isn't in a slam auction?

#18 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-16, 15:15

I don't use 3NT as a description, I understand it is forcing for you, but for most people it is not.

#19 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-17, 04:17

Something that occurred to me while reading this. Many play that 2 - 2; 3 shows hearts with longer diamonds. Would it also make sense to play that 2 - 3 is a positive with hearts and longer diamonds? Is there anything better?
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users