Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ogust for 3C?

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-13, 11:08

Anyone like 3C-3D as Ogust? 3C seems like it can be anything these days. Ogust would let responder choose better between 3N or some number of clubs. I suppose it could hold other meanings (tell meanings vs ask meanings).

I know others use 3D as 1) natural 2) asking for a major suit fragment 3) transfer.

#2 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-13, 14:16

No responses thus far so I'll give a recent hand. I'd thought about Ogust-style responses before.

3C P ?

Ax AKQx AKxx Txx

Now I'd recently watched a Vugraph where 2nd seat favorable preempted 3C with Jxxx xx x KTxxxx and as we were favorable I certainly considered that partner could have real trash. Without agreement, how to tell?

He wound up with KQxxxx with a balanced hand and no other cards. I certainly wasn't surprised, but could he not have had AQxxxxx? We could be on the hook for a grand.

#3 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2013-September-13, 14:57

3C-3D = puppet to 3H (to play), then can remove to 3S (to play), 3N (optional, dependent on a non-crap suit), 4C (invite).

#4 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-13, 15:51

View PostDJNeill, on 2013-September-13, 14:57, said:

3C-3D = puppet to 3H (to play), then can remove to 3S (to play), 3N (optional, dependent on a non-crap suit), 4C (invite).

I like it. Thanks.

#5 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-13, 19:14

btw, how would one invite a club slam using this? Also, have any gadget for opening 3D?

#6 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-15, 06:55

Any bid suggests higher. What does 3D: Ogust gain?
Won't each auction have an "I'm not liking higher" bid?
Won't each auction have an "I've got this single" bid later?
I actually like Nt feature: stop/lead-inhibit on the 3-level;
and short ask/tell at the 4-level, step bid for keys ask.
... Maybe Ogust by a passed hand: "with my stops, can I run 7xC in 3Nt?
with a fitting CQx?

#7 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-September-16, 00:50

Tough to know what is best for a 3C opener, personnally I dont believe too much in improving the contract and prefer to focus on reaching the best game.

A la Rosenkraz
3M = a 6 card suit. opener can raise with a stiff H.
3D = ask for 3M

4D & 4M = show fit and ask for a control in the suit bid.

You reach a better 4M vs 3Nt contract at the cost of not being able to stop in 3M it also work pretty well with 55 in the majors.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#8 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-September-16, 01:58

View Poststraube, on 2013-September-13, 11:08, said:

Anyone like 3C-3D as Ogust? 3C seems like it can be anything these days. Ogust would let responder choose better between 3N or some number of clubs. I suppose it could hold other meanings (tell meanings vs ask meanings).

I know others use 3D as 1) natural 2) asking for a major suit fragment 3) transfer.

I've never liked Ogust IMHO it belongs to the Twilight Zone.
In my experience Ogust generally leads to Disgust(!) ;)
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#9 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-17, 15:07

View Postbenlessard, on 2013-September-16, 00:50, said:

3D = ask for 3M

You reach a better 4M vs 3Nt contract at the cost of not being able to stop in 3M it also work pretty well with 55 in the majors.

How about if 3 asks for openers shorter major? Then responder can bail into his long weak major by asking and passing. Maybe:

3 ask: could be weak with either major, or 5M GF, or looking for NT

3 less than 3
......P long weak hearts
......3 GF with 5 spades, looking for raise with 3 else 3N
......3N to play (GF with 5 hearts, or hoping for S fragment)
3 3
......P long weak spades
......3N to play, likes the H fragment
......4 to play, could be the weak hand with a big fit

Right sides more games (NT by responder or strong major fit hands by responder), wrong sides the weak major signoffs, and doesn't handle well the 3307 or 3316 preempts (I.e. with both 3 card majors) but the former is super rare and the latter often ill-advised anyway.

#10 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-September-17, 17:33

Your way is probably better but for simplicity on a rare sequence and to avoid some lead directing X natural is ok too. 4D can be used as 3-3 in the M.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#11 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-19, 05:37

View Postbenlessard, on 2013-September-17, 17:33, said:

Your way is probably better but for simplicity on a rare sequence and to avoid some lead directing X natural is ok too. 4D can be used as 3-3 in the M.

Yes. I guess I wasn't sure how people used the 3 ask for a 3M, like if they had a weak major holding and hoped to try 3N only if partner had something there (else 4-5 perhaps?). If you give up on that and insist that repsonder have a 5M to ask (or else is willing to go past 3N on power, etc), you can use add a 3N answer for both (keeping the cheapest step as possibly no 3M). :

3H spades or none
3S hearts
3N both 3Ms
......4M signoffs, could be weak with a big fit

This gets responder to play all the 3NT contracts (since you always play in a major when opener bids 3N), and gets you out in 3M or 4M with a long weak suit (a level higher only if partner has a 3 card fit for you). All the strong major fit auctions should also be right-sided to play by responder.

#12 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-21, 08:32

Tough to know what is best for a 3C opener, personnally I dont believe too much in improving the contract and prefer to focus on reaching the best game.

A la Rosenkraz
3M = a 6 card suit. opener can raise with a stiff H.
3D = ask for 3M

4D & 4M = show fit and ask for a control in the suit bid.

*** Thanks for refreshing Rosenkrantz' methods. I'm nearly to that point in developing my new partnership.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-14, 11:29

There are a fair few threads where the 3 response to a 3 opening has been discussed, including a few where Justin wrote his method. My favourite idea is for 3 to ask for the lowest suit where Opener does not hold a 3 card major, so 3 = <3 hearts; 3 = 3 hearts, <3 spades; 3NT = 3-3 majors. This has the benefit of right-siding contracts wherever possible and also lets you get out in 3 much of the time if you want to. You can also add, inter alia, the minor suit slam tries in there in addition to the hands with 5 card majors. PK has also posted a skip-bid style method but it is slightly different:

View PostPhilKing, on 2012-November-28, 18:48, said:

Best is for 3 to show no 3-card major (3 now asks for good clubs), 3 to show three hearts and 3NT to show three spades, but the world is not ready. That way you get no trumps played the right way up as well, and when the 3 opener has 3, it may be right for 3NT to be played from his side.

(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users