• You cannot reply to this topic

Do pre-empts work?

#21 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-September-08, 14:53

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-September-08, 06:13, said:

Among players with a natural system, I have found the frequency of 2C openers to be inversely proportional to the level of the game.

On line>novice>regular club>>>>tournaments. I assume lower flights at tournaments display the same traits as clubs.

Let's not forget that not all 2 openers need 23 points In the example hand if South could rebid 3,it is
game forcing and North must reply...even after a 2 response
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#22 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-08, 14:59

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-08, 14:53, said:

Let's not forget that not all 2 openers need 23 points In the example hand if South could rebid 3,it is
game forcing and North must reply...even after a 2 response

A word to the wise - you don't need to tell us this sequence is a game force. Regarding the hands on which you choose to use it, all I can say is that you probably live in a free country.

#23 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2013-September-08, 16:07

I think getting to a minimum of 6 is right based on the North hand alone opposite most openers. Given that the preemptor has some honors, opener almost assuredly has to have at least 2 As to have an opener. So there ought to be some reasonable play for 6 in any case.

But a key factor is that opener may never be able to fully appreciate how big a playing hand responder has by simply jumping to 6 . So, I would bid 4 and then follow it up with 6 over whatever opener bids next.

#24 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2018-January-17, 05:16

View Postrmnka447, on 2013-September-08, 16:07, said:

I think getting to a minimum of 6 is right based on the North hand alone opposite most openers. Given that the preemptor has some honors, opener almost assuredly has to have at least 2 As to have an opener. So there ought to be some reasonable play for 6 in any case.

But a key factor is that opener may never be able to fully appreciate how big a playing hand responder has by simply jumping to 6 . So, I would bid 4 and then follow it up with 6 over whatever opener bids next.

Interesting topic: both lines can have opportuities (opp to defend till 7). I think that 4 cue has to be bid showing a strong hand either for support or having a solid own suit (here in heart) and allowing other bidding meanings as mikeh told, because N doesn't think that partner has this powerfull hand. Although i think also that is not necessary to jump to 6 but instead bidding 5, if opp doesn't bid on, can allow to explore for grand via cue bidding.(Lovera)

#25 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-17, 11:39

Just like aquahombre e TWO4BRIDGE, I fail to see what is wrong with RKCB over clubs; if there are 4 key cards then 7NT is cold.

Of course the partnership agreement must be sufficiently precise to allow and identify RKCB after 3 interference, with a casual partner I would have more sympathy for 6.

#26 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-17, 12:53

View Postbeatrix45, on 2013-September-08, 11:59, said:

Can't remember the last time anyone failed to bid a grand with 15 top tricks. Except, of course, for Louise. Then again, Louise is a terrible player.

I can, I actually think it may have been 17 and was played in game.

Was a funny from a teams event we ended up winning, first in green, first board of the event I picked up a 4441 yarborough, our weak 2s can be exceptionally fruity and only 4 cards long so I opened 2-P-P-3N where they played. Pro on my right took one look at (non pro) dummy's 13ish count with 5 cards in my suit and tabled his hand saying 13 tricks. He had several to spare.

This was critical because team mates had a misunderstanding and only bid 6.

#27 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-17, 16:46

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-January-17, 12:53, said:

I can, I actually think it may have been 17 and was played in game.

Was a funny from a teams event we ended up winning, first in green, first board of the event I picked up a 4441 yarborough, our weak 2s can be exceptionally fruity and only 4 cards long so I opened 2-P-P-3N where they played. Pro on my right took one look at (non pro) dummy's 13ish count with 5 cards in my suit and tabled his hand saying 13 tricks. He had several to spare.

This was critical because team mates had a misunderstanding and only bid 6.

I once had 18 top tricks and played it in 3NT :/. Some sort of misdeal had occurred (likely extremely poor shuffling when hand dealing from a new pack) so that my partner and I had all 40 HCPs between us in two symmetrical hands - something like AK QJxx AKQJ10 xx vs QJxx AK xx AKQJ10. My partner was my brother who was a beginner at the time. Can't remember the exact auction but after I opened a strong bid he signed off in 3NT, then put dummy down saying "I think I should have bid something else?" and I said "yea, 7NT". Perhaps once should get 800 (or 1200) for making 3NT twice.

ahydra

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users