Too strong for Garbage Stayman?

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-September-06, 01:10

MPs, R v R, 15 - 17NT, opps silent.

J87 J972 KJ972 8

The Bridge Guys reckon 0-7pts no matter what NT range you play.

It worked out well (68%) this time but I was wondering if the forum thought this was a bit too strong, especially at MPs where being in 1NT with 21HCP has lots going for it?

As always, thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Simon

PS I'm aware that in this case I also risked a poor 4:3 spade fit as well.

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-September-06, 03:15

2 is the best bid. You can invite or jump to game if partner bids 2H, or else pass over 2D/2S. Note that 2S will usually play well because you have a singleton with the 3-card trump support.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-06, 03:20

I would bid Stayman. I would pass 2 and 2, but 2 I would raise to 3.

"Garbage" Stayman is not always used to "run" from 1NT. Often a 4-4 fit will play a trick better, in particular when you have shortness. At MPs, I would rather score 140 then 120. Sure, you are slightly unhappy when partner bids 2, but even then it is still possible that opener has 5 spades or that you can get club ruffs for more tricks than the notrumpers.

Obviously there are no guarantees, but I think it is the percentage thing to do.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-06, 08:37

I don't play Garbage Stayman as a treatment, but would still bid it here as a Drop Dead. And yes, if Pard bids 2H I will re-evaluate and invite.

I disagree with one little point in Rik's post. We ARE running from 1NT; we believe a suit contract will score better. That doesn't necessarily mean fright --and the fact that I have this 6-count rather than some zero-five really didn't matter.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-06, 10:00

I agree with aquaman about improving the contract not bidding out of fright. Our stiff club is often an asset even on a spade moyse and playing a few of those fits will improve your play.

However over 2 I would invite at imps but pass at mp's expecting a really good score for +170 and a goose egg for down 1.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2013-September-06, 16:32

You can hardly go wrong if you bid 2 and pass partner's rebid. If partner bids 2 and has 5 s you're still playing a 5-2 7 card fit. if partner plays a 4-3 fit, you can accommodate ruffs in the short trump hand.

#7 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:NFL, NBA, poker

Posted 2013-September-06, 16:39

I would also bid 2 but I pass all rebids including 2

#8 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-06, 16:57

The club suit might say 'run', but the suit and "matchpoints" says stay. I pass.

#9 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-06, 17:35

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-September-06, 08:37, said:

I disagree with one little point in Rik's post. We ARE running from 1NT; we believe a suit contract will score better. That doesn't necessarily mean fright --and the fact that I have this 6-count rather than some zero-five really didn't matter.

It's obviously a matter of semantics, but I think that with this hand we are not running from 1NT, we are walking away from it with our head up.

We run if we are on the brink of disaster. We walk calmly to score 140 instead of 120. Those are two entirely different things.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-September-07, 00:40

I don't think the hand is particularly nice unless we play in s. The two Major suit Jacks aren't worth much, and our long suit is like Swiss cheese. I'd definitely start with 2 since I expect to improve the contract for sure. If partner bids 2 it's borderline between raise or pass imo, after any other response I'd just pass.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-07, 13:05

View PostEndymion77, on 2013-September-06, 16:39, said:

I would also bid 2 but I pass all rebids including 2

Yeh, my better half agrees with you. She doesn't want to look for magic after happily finding a suit.

#12 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-10, 03:49

Never pass over a 1N opener with a stiff club on any hand...ever. One of the only 100 % rules that have no exceptions lol.

#13 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-September-10, 11:52

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-September-10, 03:49, said:

Never pass over a 1N opener with a stiff club on any hand...ever. One of the only 100 % rules that have no exceptions lol.

I was beginning to wonder if Garbage Stayman was a misnomer and perhaps should be referred to as something like short club Stayman.

#14 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-10, 13:49

Definitely stayman. If partner bids hearts it's worth an invite, but, you've already improved the contract so pass is tempting.
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#15 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-September-11, 07:44

View PostSimonFa, on 2013-September-10, 11:52, said:

I was beginning to wonder if Garbage Stayman was a misnomer and perhaps should be referred to as something like short club Stayman.

I usually try to use Exit Stayman and Crawling Stayman, since the term Garbage Stayman is used in different circles to refer to both.
(-: Zel :-)

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-11, 08:20

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-September-11, 07:44, said:

I usually try to use Exit Stayman and Crawling Stayman, since the term Garbage Stayman is used in different circles to refer to both.

LOL I don't know what any of those terms means!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-September-11, 16:41

View PostVampyr, on 2013-September-11, 08:20, said:

LOL I don't know what any of those terms means!

ZEL is like 32519 in a way. The difference is ZEL has X 10000 more knowledge about the game, X 10000 more skills, X 1000000000 less annoying (if annoying at all, to me he is not) then the other.Posted Image

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#18 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2013-September-11, 18:39

I can't even tell if that's intended as an insult or a compliment :P goin with the latter

#19 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-11, 19:48

How much would timo have to increase the numerical estimates so that we could be sure it was a compliment?

#20 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-September-12, 06:34

View PostMrAce, on 2013-September-11, 16:41, said:

ZEL is like 32519 in a way.

I agree lol! Perhaps a mix of 32519 and kenrexford; with a pinch of TWO4BRIDGE and Cyberyeti thrown in? I suspect that all of the posters that are more focused on bidding than card play annoy some readers from time to time. I am certain that I am no exception to that.

As for the mysterious terms, Exit Stayman is where you bid Stayman and pass - "short club Stayman" as it was decsribed earlier in the thread. Crawling Stayman (aka Creeping Stayman) is one of more of the following:-

1NT - 2; 2 - 2 = both majors, weak
1NT - 2; 2 - 2 = hearts and another suit, weak
1NT - 2; 2 - 2 = spades and a 5+ card minor, weak

One of the potential advantages of playing your 2 = both majors as "never longer spades" rather than "never longer hearts" is that you can get away with the second of these over the first. If partner prefers spades to hearts then you take out into the longer minor instead. The last one is something I have never actually seen played in reality but is often given as part of the convention "completing the set" of weak takeouts.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users