• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

US & Syria - What drives Kerry?

#1 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:All types of games especially bridge & war games.
    old bidding systems & computer simulation programming.

Posted 2013-August-26, 22:39

I am genuinely puzzled by Secretary of state, Kerry's recent speech: He seems to say he has no direct evidence against the Syrian government and does not expect the UN investigation to provide any evidence but judges them guilty and proposes to punish them nevertheless.

With a fine disregard for history he seeks to cloak this with a high moral tone. Is this really what America has sunk to?

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-26, 22:54

View PostScarabin, on 2013-August-26, 22:39, said:

I am genuinely puzzled by Secretary of state, Kerry's recent speech: He seems to say he has no direct evidence against the Syrian government and does not expect the UN investigation to provide any evidence but judges them guilty and proposes to punish them nevertheless.

With a fine disregard for history he seeks to cloak this with a high moral tone. Is this really what America has sunk to?

Assuming what you say is 100% true, I would say 99.99% of americans do not know these facts.

I understand you may find this shocking but the vast majority think the govt is guilty and deserves to be punished by someone ..somehow.

If your facts are correct and the govt is not guilty and does not deserve punishment, well now you see how misinformed we are.

#3 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:All types of games especially bridge & war games.
    old bidding systems & computer simulation programming.

Posted 2013-August-27, 02:47

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I do not have any special information and am just quoting Kerry's speech. My reference to history concerns the only hard evidence, (a) from Russian analysis of type of chemicals used on a previous occasion, suggested the rebels as the culprits, and (b)the Iraq WMD debacle (as a reason for caution).

My real concern is that a US rush to judgment will result in appalling suffering for relatively innocent people. The Europeans are equally guilty in this respect but I do not find them quite so eager to expend money on expensive missiles.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-27, 03:26

View PostScarabin, on 2013-August-27, 02:47, said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I do not have any special information and am just quoting Kerry's speech. My reference to history concerns the only hard evidence, (a) from Russian analysis of type of chemicals used on a previous occasion, suggested the rebels as the culprits, and (b)the Iraq WMD debacle (as a reason for caution).

My real concern is that a US rush to judgment will result in appalling suffering for relatively innocent people. The Europeans are equally guilty in this respect but I do not find them quite so eager to expend money on expensive missiles.

The Russian analysis is unsurprising as they're Assad's biggest supporters. I suspect Kerry simply doesn't believe it.

#5 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-27, 03:39

What drives Washington?

Assad must go.

Why?

Because he is the last allie Iran's in the region. To isolate Iran is the name of the this game.

If Assad would be the same despote as he is, but enemy of Teherans regime and vassal Washingtons like f. ex. the despote in Jordania, the things would be different.

In the eyes of Washington he would be "In the war on terror" against FSA , Al-Nusra-Brigades (Al Qaida) and other islamists and become any support of the USA in this "war", you bet.!
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#6 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-August-27, 03:52

My real concern is that a US rush to judgment will result in appalling suffering for relatively innocent people. The Europeans are equally guilty in this respect but I do not find them quite so eager to expend money on expensive missile

ok you don't want the US to rush to what judgment? How long should they take? I assume it has been years and years so far...but that may be too rushed.

btw how many years have you been in judgment? I hope many years so far.....but I don't want to rush you..take your time

#7 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-August-27, 03:56

What drives Washington?

Assad must go.

let us all be clear...THIS DOES NOT DRIVE WASHINGTON IN ANY SENSE OF THE WORD.

As for the rest of America we are not sure who the heck assad is or where he lives on a map. he does sound like a bad guy...check....
-------------------

Al-Nusra-Brigades

ok I will bet a million bucks America has no idea what the hell that is....

but it must be bad......

#8 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-August-27, 04:49

I strongly suspect that I am one of many Americans thinking "Good God, do I really have to learn enough about Syria so that I have an informed and credible opin ion?" At first galnce, and at second and third glance as well, it appears that our choices are:
1. Help the Syrian government kill Syrian rebels.
2. Help the Syrian rebels overthrow the Syrian government.
3. Sit back and let them kill each other.
Is there a fourth choice?

My expectation is that no matter who finally prevails, it won't be good.

A more informed opinion, with largely the same conclusion, came from Michael Gerson in the morning Washington Post:

http://www.washingto...94a1_story.html

I realize Gerson is a conservative and a religious one at that, but I generally find him an interesting person to read.

From Gerson:

U.S. policy is making difficult adjustments as well. Since the worst elements in Syria have grown stronger over time, delay has complicated every course. At first, the Obama administration hoped that Bashar al-Assad would fall without being pushed. Then it adopted a policy of wait-and-see as the tide of battle turned in Assad's favor, with help from Russia, Iran and Hezbollah. Then a policy of arming selected rebels that doesn't seem to have armed any rebels.

President Obama may finally be provoked beyond endurance by another Baathist regime prone to brutish miscalculation. But a cruise-missile campaign to protest and deter the use of chemical weapons would do little to change the situation on the ground. And Obama would need to decide if this is his goal.

So we should do what? Beats me.It's a tough world out there.
Ken

#9 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-27, 06:56

It is a difficult situation. We do not want a surrogate war with Russia. Nor do we want checmical weapons used in the world. In the end there will be harm no matter what option we choose. I think we should stay out.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#10 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2013-August-28, 08:16

U.S. intelligence has established timeline of Syrian chemical attack, officials say

The Obama administration believes that U.S. intelligence has established how Syrian government forces stored, assembled and launched the chemical weapons allegedly used in last week’s attack outside Damascus, according to U.S. officials.

The administration is planning to release evidence, possibly as soon as Thursday, that it will say proves that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad bears responsibility for what U.S. officials have called an “undeniable” chemical attack that killed hundreds on the outskirts of the Syrian capital.

This "evidence" better be convincing.

I well remember the "evidence" that Colin Powell presented to the UN about Iraq's so-called "weapons of mass destruction" before the US invasion. It is safe to say that everyone with an IQ over 80 realized that no evidence at all had been presented to justify the attack. This better not be more of the same...
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#11 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-28, 09:27

I think that the term "U.S. intelligence" has changed meaning since Iraq.

Back then, the UN was right and the USA wrong leaving egg on the faces of their allies who trusted them.

In my mind it is entirely correct to come up with a punishment for whoever uses nuclear, biological or chemical weapons. But let's rely on evidence rather than on "U.S. intelligence". I can't believe that the British and the French leaders are gullible enough to believe "U.S. intelligence" again, when there is a UN team on site investigating the matter.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#12 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-August-28, 09:35

In the WMD case, no WMDs had been dropped. In the current situation, gas has been used. Or at least it is my understanding that there is little or no question that gas has been used. Who used it? Well, there are, I suppose, still people who would claim it is unknown who flew places into the Twin Towers. But at some point evidence becomes clear enough so that we can regard it as established fact.

What should we do? And to what purpose? We are speaking of a region where events often make pessimists later look like naive optimists. This is most definitely not a time to do something to show that we have done something. When Iraq invaded Kuwait, many said that nothing could be done. The first George Bush, the one who did not have his head up his rear end, disagreed, said what could be done, and accomplished it. Even then, the long term results were not so good. So we really need some solid thinking here. Early ion the Viet Nam days, with LBJ picking the targets, bombing this but not bombing that, some military type opined that it's really not a good idea to bomb someone just enough to make them mad. Sounds like good advice to me.

There are times that the U.S.A., or any country, must act unilaterally and there are times when it should not. This seems like the latter to me. Syria is hell on earth producing far more refugees than can be handled, causing misery and death in and outside its borders. But it is always possible to make a bad situation worse. If a reasonable portion of the rational part of the world is up for doing what must be done, and if there is a plausible plan, well then maybe. But let's hold off on the Lone Ranger approach here.
Ken

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-August-28, 10:09

Has anybody seen any convincing suggestion of where the rebels might have got chemical weapons from, other than capturing some from the regime ?

#14 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2013-August-28, 10:09

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-August-28, 09:27, said:

I think that the term "U.S. intelligence" has changed meaning since Iraq.

Back then, the UN was right and the USA wrong leaving egg on the faces of their allies who trusted them.

In my mind it is entirely correct to come up with a punishment for whoever uses nuclear, biological or chemical weapons. But let's rely on evidence rather than on "U.S. intelligence". I can't believe that the British and the French leaders are gullible enough to believe "U.S. intelligence" again, when there is a UN team on site investigating the matter.

Rik

At the time, neither the French nor the Russians believed the "US intelligence" and the British knew that "the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy."

I have no problem with the US working with the UN to punish those who've actually used banned weapons. Let's just be sure that the right people are punished.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#15 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-August-28, 12:18

Good article

http://dish.andrewsu...ten-to-himself/
Alderaan delenda est

#16 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-28, 23:09

For sure it is a very difficult situation. However, there's certainly no question at all that the regime in Syria has been directly responsible for the brutal assassination of citizens, including children, on an ongoing basis.It looks to me as though all the dithering has just made things worse, actually.

It's like a parent saying don't do that...no I mean don't DO that.... I am warning you, don't do that again... If you do that again I am going to have to do something you will regret...why do you keep doing that, do you want me to have to punish you? ... oh please don't do that...etc I don't know how you get out of that without causing feelings of shock and betrayal because you stopped dithering and actually followed through. Not the sort of parenting which is recommended. Not that I think the US should be a "parent" to the world, but since that's the role it has chosen to adopt for decades now, what can you expect?

Aside from that, governments (including ours) which value human life and suffering well below that of business concerns when it comes to intervening in situations elsewhere should not be expected to change those values when dealing with their own citizens. just sayin'

#17 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-28, 23:47

I can't believe that the British and the French leaders are gullible enough to believe "U.S. intelligence" again, when there is a UN team on site investigating the matter.
Here's the thing: in the intelligence world, you often know more than you can admit to knowing - if you tell everything you know, it allows the bad guys to figure out what your source is and eliminate it. So, what looks like gullibility is sometimes reaction to evidence which can't be exposed publicly. Yes it's problematic and a slippery slope and has been abused and all that - but that's just how these things work.

#18 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-August-29, 01:22

wow everyone debate if who is innocent....

200,000 children killed but good point ...prove it

assume proof..but so what........again so what
-------------

fwiw I have no idea what antraz point what the f?
1000,,,,20000...3000000 dye but so what?

#19 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-August-29, 01:29

View Postmike777, on 2013-August-29, 01:22, said:

wow everyone debate if who is innocent....

200,000 children killed but good point ...prove it

assume proof..but so what........again so what
-------------

fwiw I have no idea what antraz point what the f?
1000,,,,20000...3000000 kill but so what? if your child die .so what...

#20 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-29, 01:50

View PostAntrax, on 2013-August-28, 23:47, said:

I can't believe that the British and the French leaders are gullible enough to believe "U.S. intelligence" again, when there is a UN team on site investigating the matter.

Here's the thing: in the intelligence world, you often know more than you can admit to knowing - if you tell everything you know, it allows the bad guys to figure out what your source is and eliminate it. So, what looks like gullibility is sometimes reaction to evidence which can't be exposed publicly. Yes it's problematic and a slippery slope and has been abused and all that - but that's just how these things work.

Sure, I understand all that. The point is that the previous time "US intelligence" was not intelligence at all. It simply was a set of lies fabricated to manipulate America's friends (friends!, not enemies) into a war.

Most people have learnt that the USA is a friend that cannot be trusted. Therefore, they insist that there will be independent evidence which is gathered right now.

Of course, I think it is likely that the Syrian government used chemical weapons against their people. But that is no justification for military action. We have all agreed that this falls under the jurisdiction of the UN. They investigate, they provide the evidence and conclusions and they decide what will happen, not the USA.

Or do you really want to repeat the disaster that happened the last time (part of) the world believed "US intelligence"?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users