• You cannot reply to this topic

Now what Microsoft?

#81 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-12, 11:05

View Postmycroft, on 2014-February-11, 18:07, said:

I don't see how that should mean I, or even you, should pay for it at home, unless you use it both for its intended purpose, and the frustrations involved with using a Excel-alike cost more than the $X00 that Office costs (it certainly doesn't for me; but Excel is not the tool for me in general).

But Everybody Has Word, so All Files are Word Documents. All Tables are Excel Spreadsheets (double points if you embed the spreadsheet in a Word doc), and All Discussion Notes are Powerpoint Slidedecks. As I said, "when the only tool you have is a hammer..."

Which brings me back to my original point, which was that MS *relies* on "All computers run Windows, and all business computers have Office" - and it's worked for years. But it also relied for many years on "Everyone will run the newest version of Windows and Office, because it's better" for years, too; and between alienating customers with upgrades gone horribly wrong (so now everybody waits for someone else to take the upgrade plunge), and the fact that, really, for almost everyone, what they have had for 5 years now is all they need (so they see no need to pay to upgrade), we get the OP - "What now, Microsoft?"

After shortening your post, I see that you understand the problem very well.

We held out against getting MS Office at home as long as we could. My wife was happy with Works, and I used OpenOffice. But as the kids got into junior high and now high school, we found Office necessary. When their teachers distribute computer files, or require submissions as files, the format is always word or powerpoint. Constantly wrestling with format compatibility just wasn't worth the hassle. So we spent the $100 for Office Home and Student, end of problem.

In fact for a while, the kids didn't even believe that other programs existed for these tasks, or that there was any such thing as a computer that didn't have them. They couldn't open the files, so they would come to me and say "please fix our powerpoint it doesn't work." Trying to explain that we did not have powerpoint just didn't compute with them. lol.

A whole business culture weaning off Office is going to take a long time, even if they want to, which most st ill don't.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#82 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-12, 12:11

When I started directing, I discovered that ACBLScore only runs on DOS or Windows. And I needed something portable that I could take to games. So I - reluctantly - bought a Windows laptop (it's probably about ten or twelve years old now, and is running XP). It runs ACBLScore, and also some other gaming applications (for example, ship fitting, or skill planning tools for EVE Online) fairly well (one app tries to do everything for EVE, so it's huge - last I checked it had problems on this old box). For a long time there were no similar Mac applications - the ACBL have just recently initiated a project for a cross-platform upgrade to ACBLScore. I hope it's more successful than Obamacare. :-) Now, some Mac or cross-platform apps are starting to appear. Some of them are as good as the Windows specific stuff, some aren't. But you know what? This Windows laptop has been sitting on the corner of my desk for the last couple of years, and I haven't even fired it up. I may have to, though. In fact, I may have to upgrade the thing - I recently discovered an Excel spreadsheet that does some stuff I'd like to be able to do, but it won't do all that stuff under LibreOffice or NeoOffice. I do NOT want to buy Excel, but the alternative is to develop my own version of the thing. I could do that, but it would be a lot of work, so I don't want to.

Long and rambling, I know. Short version: I'm a Mac person, and I wish people who write code wouldn't act as if Windows is the only platform out there, and Excel the best way to do stuff. :lol:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#83 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-12, 13:01

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-February-12, 12:11, said:

Long and rambling, I know. Short version: I'm a Mac person, and I wish people who write code wouldn't act as if Windows is the only platform out there, and Excel the best way to do stuff. :lol:

It was a common problem until recently. There is a lot of small distribution, specialty software out there. The developers of such often weren't making any money from it, and usually didn't want to spend the effort supporting multiple platforms. So they picked the one with the most users, and here we are.

This is changing now with tablets - lots of aps are being written for ios and android. Almost anything that doesn't require a large screen area will work fine, including ACBLscore or its replacement.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#84 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-February-12, 16:39

Yeah, I'm hoping to see an iOS version of ACBLScore - that would be awesome. Also, Ian Mackinnon, an Australian mathematician and bridge director, has written "Jeannie, the Movement Wizard" (a Windows app), which I would love to see as a tablet app.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#85 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-February-12, 20:14

View Postmycroft, on 2014-February-12, 10:32, said:

Okay, I'm willing to admit I could be wrong about the percentages. But I work in IT, and have never seen a programmer use Excel-alikes for anything but Gantt Chart-alikes in 20 years. I do know that Manglement (Project- and ''-) default to "All Tables are Excel Spreadsheets", and it drives me batty.

Those that work seriously, train,... aren't my target here. There are good and valid uses for any tool, and the right tool is a dream. But it's as if everybody used PyCharm (my "right tool" of choice) to write up agendas and emails.

Mycroft, I am surprised by your comments. Before I retired I used to work in IT as well. All projects we did were set out using MSProject. You woud have been laughed at for, in fact were not permitted to, use Excel. Part of my job (apart from PM and work on dbs ) was to train people to use MS products properly, including Project. Our programmers, myself included, used Excel on a daily basis.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#86 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-February-12, 20:18

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-February-12, 12:11, said:

When I started directing, I discovered that ACBLScore only runs on DOS or Windows. And I needed something portable that I could take to games. So I - reluctantly - bought a Windows laptop (it's probably about ten or twelve years old now, and is running XP). It runs ACBLScore, and also some other gaming applications (for example, ship fitting, or skill planning tools for EVE Online) fairly well (one app tries to do everything for EVE, so it's huge - last I checked it had problems on this old box). For a long time there were no similar Mac applications - the ACBL have just recently initiated a project for a cross-platform upgrade to ACBLScore. I hope it's more successful than Obamacare. :-) Now, some Mac or cross-platform apps are starting to appear. Some of them are as good as the Windows specific stuff, some aren't. But you know what? This Windows laptop has been sitting on the corner of my desk for the last couple of years, and I haven't even fired it up. I may have to, though. In fact, I may have to upgrade the thing - I recently discovered an Excel spreadsheet that does some stuff I'd like to be able to do, but it won't do all that stuff under LibreOffice or NeoOffice. I do NOT want to buy Excel, but the alternative is to develop my own version of the thing. I could do that, but it would be a lot of work, so I don't want to.

" I wish people who write code wouldn't act as if Windows is the only platform out there, and Excel the best way to do stuff."
Though I agree with the first part of your statement, I certainly don't with the second. Lotus123 was good, but unfortunately it is a dinosaur now. By the way, you DO know that the most used Office Applications on the MAC are MSOffice?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#87 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-February-13, 00:47

Yes, I know that.
--------------------

#88 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-13, 10:29

View Postbillw55, on 2014-February-12, 11:05, said:

A whole business culture weaning off Office is going to take a long time, even if they want to, which most still don't.
Yes, this. However, the fact that pretty much everybody has now realized that they don't need anything they didn't have in Office 98 means that MS, to make money, have to do something to "force" people to upgrade. Witness .docx et al.

View Postthe hog, on 2014-February-12, 20:14, said:

Mycroft, I am surprised by your comments. Before I retired I used to work in IT as well. All projects we did were set out using MSProject. You would have been laughed at for, in fact were not permitted to, use Excel. Part of my job (apart from PM and work on dbs ) was to train people to use MS products properly, including Project. Our programmers, myself included, used Excel on a daily basis.
Oh, I wish. *My* clients are ... less rigid. There are other issues, as well, but that's not for here.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#89 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2014-November-15, 11:59

Microsoft's Satya Nadella talks about getting stuff done in the office of the future.

The dude understands the power of a clear vision, yo.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#90 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-November-19, 18:47

FWIW I bought an iPad and find it's worse than any Microsoft product (so far, I'm still on XP) to try to use. The thing keeps flipping direction, bringing up screens I don't want, shoving ads at me that WON'T go away, and I can't get the full use of it unless I give Apple personal information that's none of their business. There's a 37 page agreement of small print legalese you have to agree to to use the thing at all, but not a word on what all the icons that keep intruding are supposed to be for or how to use them. I have never been so close to hurling a gadget into a ditch as often as this has seriously tempted me to do on numerous occasions. What it has turned out to be is a very expensive clock which SOMETIMES allows me to browse or check emails. I GOT it to be able to use on BBO and I apparently cannot do that unless I travel 3 hours to an Apple store for them to load it...and perhaps not then since I have declined to give them information they want, just on general principles. Blackmail is not the way I think ethical companies ought to do business.

I got it because my computer is very old and I was annoyed with Microsoft for cancelling XP support and forcing people into a new version which without exception every one I knew who had got it, loathed. Also, because Apple marketting yodels about how user friendly it is, which for someone who didn't grow up with it, is absolute BS. It's enough to make a person a Luddite. I am NOT anti computer, but everything is getting to be like putting a space station cockpit in a car. I don't understand why everything gets more complicated and difficult instead of easier. Maybe for the technical stuff it gets better but it surely doesn't for the rest of us.

Not all..or maybe even not a lot..of us are computer enthusiasts. I'm nearly incompetent with them but judging from the wails of dismay I get DAILY from people who cannot even navigate BBO there are a lot of people worse than me. Perhaps the stress of being forced to deal with obnoxious and intransigent inanimate objects is part of why depression is now thought to be a serious problem for 1 of every 4 people in North America.

#91 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-November-22, 15:41

I need help.

I use Windows 7, and I can cope.But maybe 18 months ago we bought a Windows 8 for Becky. I am uncertain of some details but as I recall:

McAfee came with it. But it's contract is up. Fine, I have MSE on the 7, it does the job as far as I know.

But: MSE is incompatible with 8.

Ok. A little Googling tells me that Windows Defender is the way to go. OK by me. Back to the screen.

In places, it tells me that Defender is turned off. In other places it tells me that Defender cannot be turned off. In Programs and Features I cannot find it, either on or off. On the web, it tells me that it comes with 8 automatically.

Maybe if I log on as administrator? I am still trying. No luck.

Neither Becky not I are particularly stupid, and senility has not yet set in but we are stumped.

If anyone understands how to do what I would expected would be very easy to do, please share, I will be in your debt.

This is 8.1, without any letters attached that I know of. Although I could think of a few.

For starters, is there a way to determine with certainty whether it is or is not somewhere on the computer? It says that it is turned off. The way I use language, if is turned off then it has to be there to be turned off. I don't say I have my Jaguar turned off, I say I don't have one.
Ken

#92 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2015-October-23, 15:12

Microsoft’s ‘Solid’ Quarter Draws Praise by Maureen Farrell

Microsoft Corp.'s “solid” quarterly results drew praise from analysts and led to a run up of 10% in the stock Friday morning.

FBR analyst Daniel Ives said Microsoft’s quarterly numbers, particularly its growth in cloud computing, show that CEO Satya Nadella is delivering on his promises to transform the technology company:

With many of the mature tech stalwarts on the “innovation treadmill,” Satya Nadella has instead helped navigate Microsoft toward the cloud quicker and more successfully than its peers, and it clearly was on display for all to see this quarter.

Posted Image
Microsoft’s CEO Satya Nadella Associated Press

Microsoft’s results may have lacked the ‘wow’ factor that Amazon.com Inc. (a surprise – and rare — profit!!) or Google’s parent Alphabet Inc. (first share buyback!) delivered to investors Thursday night, but investors still liked what they saw.

Instead, Microsoft’s results showed a finesse in execution from Mr. Nadella, who is less than two years on the job at the helm. He is quickly gaining traction in recasting the company away from the weak personal computer market and toward faster-growing areas like cloud computing.

UBS analyst Brent Thill commended the company’s “pivot,” the tech community’s favorite term for a strategy change, and noted that it’s been happening much faster than most investors expected.

Moreover, Mr. Thill said, Microsoft showed numbers that point to further growth. “We were most impressed by the strength in unearned revenue,” he said.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#93 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-November-27, 10:14

View Postbillw55, on 2014-February-12, 11:05, said:

A whole business culture weaning off Office is going to take a long time, even if they want to, which most st ill don't.

Back in the day they said a similar thing about secretaries and Wordperfect. It only took Wordperfect for Windows to fix that.
(-: Zel :-)

#94 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2019-May-12, 08:41

View Posty66, on 2013-August-25, 08:38, said:

From yesterday's blog post by NY Times tech critic David Pogue:

How do you even begin to design a successful operating system if you don't have a clear vision for the machines it is supposed to operate? And how do you grow or even maintain Office sales in a world in which the machines people want are not running your operating system?

Will Microsoft figure this out?

From The Most Valuable Company (for Now) Is Having a Nadellaissance by Austin Carr and Diana Bass at Bloomberg:

The congratulatory texts and tweets started the last week of November. Microsoft had overtaken Apple to become the world’s most valuable company, a stunning climax in a year that also saw it pass Amazon and Google’s Alphabet Inc. Longtime employees, who’d grown accustomed to thinking of Microsoft as far removed from its glory years, when it was run by Bill Gates and feared as the “Evil Empire,” were flooded with messages from friends and family.

Yet not a word of this achievement was uttered when Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella gathered his senior staff for their weekly meeting that Friday. In an interview at Microsoft Corp. headquarters in Redmond, Wash., Nadella appears irritated by questions about the company’s ascendancy. “I would be disgusted if somebody ever celebrated our market cap,” he tells Bloomberg Businessweek. He insists the valuation—which passed $1 trillion on April 25 and is up more than 230 percent since his watch began in February 2014—is “not meaningful” and any rejoicing about such an arbitrary milestone would mark “the beginning of the end.”

The no-nonsense rhetoric is part of his shtick. Nadella, a 51-year-old engineer with multiple degrees who grew up in Hyderabad, India, is known for his librarian’s temperament. “At Microsoft we have this very bad habit of not being able to push ourselves because we just feel very self-satisfied with the success we’ve had,” he says. “We’re learning how not to look at the past.”

Even if it doesn’t last, Nadella’s turnaround over the five years since he replaced Steve Ballmer as CEO has been nothing short of historic. The company had been universally viewed as spiraling toward obsolescence, having missed almost every significant computing trend of the 2000s—mobile phones, search engines, social networking—while letting its main source of revenue, Windows, the operating system that comes preloaded on PCs, stagnate.

Microsoft marketers like to attribute its reemergence as a tech power to a sort of cultural rehab, involving what Nadella calls corporate “empathy” and a shift of his team from a “fixed mindset” to a “growth mindset.” The reality of the company’s turnaround was more painful, according to interviews with more than four dozen current and former executives, board members, customers, and competitors. Under Nadella, it cut funding to Windows and built an enormous cloud computing business—with about $34 billion in revenue over the past year—putting it ahead of Google and making progress in key areas against the dominant player, Amazon Web Services. “I don’t know of any other software company in the history of technology that fell onto hard times and has recovered so well,” says Reed Hastings, CEO of Netflix Inc.

Microsoft’s Office collection of productivity software, formerly a one-off purchase that included the famously inept virtual assistant, Clippy, is now a cloud-based service boasting more than 214 million subscribers who pay around $99 a year; it has more subscribers than Spotify and Amazon Prime combined. At the same time, Azure, Microsoft’s cloud platform, has won marquee customers such as ExxonMobil, Starbucks, and Walmart. There’s a bit of Silicon Valley cred, too, thanks to its acquisitions of LinkedIn, the professional social network, and GitHub, the software code repository.

Nadella’s peers say Microsoft’s resurgence is as terrifying as it is impressive. When asked what threat a renewed Microsoft poses to the tech universe, the CEO of a rival software company, who requested anonymity to speak more candidly, begins humming Darth Vader’s Imperial March theme from Star Wars. Put another way: The Empire has struck back.

It’s telling that Microsoft continues to instill such feelings in competitors even with mild-mannered Nadella at the helm. If Ballmer will be forever associated with his sweat-soaked dress shirts and “Monkey Boy” antics—he’d barrel onstage at product launches, bellowing and flailing his limbs—then Nadella’s persona is typified by his preferred hygge hoodies. When the board appointed him as Ballmer’s replacement, Microsoft looked trapped by the decline of Windows, which achieved a market share of more than 90 percent at its peak. Windows was still extremely profitable—Microsoft generated a licensing fee on almost every desktop and laptop sold—but people were increasingly replacing PCs with iPhones and Android devices. (Even today, Windows is a $20 billion-a-year business.)

In the past, the importance of PCs had caused executives to compete bitterly for control of various Windows-related fiefdoms and every promising offshoot to get sucked into the Windows vortex. New products were relentlessly branded “Windows,” such as the Windows Phone. Even Microsoft’s fledgling cloud service was called Windows Azure.

Nadella, who’s spent more than half his life at Microsoft, mostly on non-Windows products, stayed out of the Game of Thrones-like war to succeed Ballmer. He’d been recruited from Sun Microsystems Inc. in 1992, in part because his team’s manager wanted an employee who “gets ***** done” and “doesn’t piss off other people,” says Jeff Teper, vice president in charge of Office, who hired him. These qualities apparently were recherché in Redmond. Nadella started by selling PCs to corporate buyers. He later oversaw engineering for Bing, the company’s search engine, before taking over Azure.

His self-effacing, if not bland, style is what Microsoft, a bureaucracy crippled by egos and infighting, needed. Colleagues swear they’ve never seen him get upset, raise his voice, or fire off an angry email. Shelley Bransten, a Microsoft corporate vice president, suggests that what makes Nadella unique is that he has “no swagger.” One executive even claims, not quite believably, that he’s never heard Nadella say no.

“Suddenly, everything from Satya was ‘cloud, cloud, cloud!’”

As Ballmer neared retirement, he was so taken with Nadella that he asked Hastings, then a Microsoft board member, to mentor the younger executive. Hastings recalls Nadella coming to Netflix’s headquarters to observe executive reviews. “Ballmer did not have me do that with anybody else,” he says. “He definitely saw Satya as the full package of technical acumen and personality strength, even though Satya manages in a different way than Steve.”

Nadella’s game plan was to reorient Microsoft around Azure, a nascent business he’d been working on since 2011, which would turn the company from a provider of boxed software (which many users simply pirated) to a global computing engine that would rent out its processing power and online storage to businesses. Of the 100 or so CEO candidates considered, Nadella most impressed then-Chairman Gates and the board with his strategic and engineering chops.

Microsoft was already at least four years behind Amazon.com Inc.’s cloud business, which had annual revenue of $4.6 billion. Nadella understood that any serious shift in emphasis would mean taking a cricket bat to the Windows division. (A lifelong fan, he keeps a bat autographed by the great batsman Sachin Tendulkar near his desk.) But getting resources from other parts of Microsoft was like “pulling fingernails,” recalls Scott Guthrie, an executive vice president who took over the cloud unit when Nadella became CEO. He recounts a meeting where the cloud team agreed with Nadella’s strategy, but then realized that as much as 90 percent of the unit’s head count was focused on big Windows-centric businesses. “Classic innovator’s dilemma,” Guthrie says. “I had leaders under me who managed multibillion-dollar P&Ls, and it’s tough when you say, ‘You’re now going to manage a $4 million P&L.’ ”

According to a former executive, Nadella, frustrated with hand-wringing about the new cloud-vs.-Windows hierarchy, scolded a group of top executives early in his tenure. At his Microsoft, there would be only “fixers,” no “complainers.” If people didn’t buy into his vision, he’d tell them, “Don’t stay. Time to move on.” During this time he showed an ability to make aggressive changes with little drama, a departure from Gates’s infamous temper tantrums of the 1990s and Ballmer’s chest-beating of the late 2000s.

Nadella wrote off $7.6 billion from Ballmer’s purchase of Nokia Corp., cutting 7,800 jobs in 2015, a clear sign he was giving up on an ambition to compete directly with Google and Apple Inc. in mobile. His first product announcement was an Office version optimized for Apple’s iOS mobile operating system. Microsoft had resisted such a move for years out of concern that its productivity software running on iPhones and iPads would speed the decline of Windows PC sales.

One longtime executive who recently departed describes Nadella’s approach as “subtle shade.” He never explicitly eighty-sixed a division or cut down a product leader, but his underlying intentions were always clear. His first email to employees ran more than 1,000 words—and made no mention of Windows. He later renamed the cloud offering Microsoft Azure. “Satya doesn’t talk *****—he just started omitting ‘Windows’ from sentences,” this executive says. “Suddenly, everything from Satya was ‘cloud, cloud, cloud!’ ” He also started promoting new buzzwords when he talked about older products, for instance using the phrase “artificial intelligence” when he discussed Microsoft Office, this person adds, “even though there was nothing AI about Office—beside what? spell check?”

The cloud push began gaining momentum, which helped rejuvenate Microsoft’s image and improve employee morale. Guthrie remembers being elated one month when cloud revenue increased by $40,000 on a profit-and-loss statement. “We were like, ‘Oh yeahhh!’ ” he says, chuckling. “And then, ‘Oh boy, we have billions to go.’ ”

The cloud is conceptually thought of as a digital exchange of bits, but it’s actually all about physical infrastructure—airplane-hangar-size data centers and transoceanic cables yo-yoing petabytes of information. Amazon, Microsoft, and the other big cloud players enable other companies to outsource vast computing requirements to these costly infrastructures, which means Netflix can seamlessly stream movies to your phone or Citibank can process billions of online transactions without having to do major construction projects.

By 2016, Microsoft’s board was growing worried the company wasn’t moving fast enough to catch Amazon, which was generating $12 billion in cloud services revenue. The concern was that the corporate-software business could collapse faster than new cloud offerings could replenish the company’s coffers. To refocus entirely on the cloud, Nadella initiated a series of major reorganizations, culminating in last year’s utterly shocking (to longtime Microsoft employees, anyway) termination of the entire Windows division, which he split into Azure and Office teams. By then the cloud war with Amazon had escalated: For every cloud infrastructure improvement and database product Amazon introduced, Nadella would try to match those advances, pumping billions of dollars into buying data centers and startups.

It wasn’t only cloud engineering that had fallen behind Amazon, but also sales. Nadella assigned Judson Althoff, an engineer-turned-sales exec, the task of dismantling the company’s approach of selling licenses based on the number of employees using corresponding software and services. The licenses were complicated to tabulate and tended to make customers feel as if sales reps were IRS auditors. Althoff added 3,000 engineers to the sales division, where they would be expected to write sample code in meetings with potential clients. The blurring of the lines between engineering and sales was designed to improve Microsoft’s pitch and also to expose product teams to the things customers hated. When engineering veteran Corey Sanders joined the group, Nadella jokingly told him, “You’ve screwed up [Azure] for 10 years, and now you have to figure out how to sell it.”

Microsoft won’t disclose Azure’s revenue or say if it’s profitable—the $34 billion figure includes Office—but analysts say its competitive position is improving. The company’s cloud market share went from 14 percent at the end of 2017 to 17 percent at the end of 2018, while Amazon’s was flat at 32 percent for the same period, according to researcher Canalys. An Amazon spokesman notes that the company is still by far the most popular cloud provider. A former Amazon cloud executive, who asked to remain anonymous, puts it more pungently: “Have a little more reverence for the leader. Microsoft has come a long way, but recognize that they’re the Twins and we’re still the Yankees.”

This intense one-upmanship was on display at a recent Azure sales pitch in Redmond, where 20 or so Microsoft employees and senior executives from WPP Plc, the big advertising conglomerate, gathered for an “envisioning” meeting. Nadella appeared wearing a beatific smile, then made a beeline around the conference room table to greet WPP CEO Mark Read.

After introductions, Read offered an overview of WPP’s business challenges, asking Businessweek not to disclose these details. Nadella sat opposite him stirring a cup of tea, nodding theatrically. Then, 13 minutes in, he piped up, pitching a cloud partnership. “We don’t want you to think of this as just building an app on our platform,” Nadella said. “We want to enable you to build your own platform.”

Nadella didn’t acknowledge it, but everyone knew this was a dig at Amazon. Jeff Bezos’ company has been ruthlessly expanding, posing a potential threat to cloud customers, such as big-box retailers and entertainment companies, even as it seeks to store their data in its servers. “Microsoft does it in a tasteful manner, but they don’t leave you mistaken in your impression that Bezos could be lurking in your backyard and machine learning your data and targeting your customers,” says a former e-commerce company vice president who struck a large cloud partnership with Nadella. “In the Ballmer days, it was bluster. But Satya has gotten really good at pointing out, ‘Do you want your technology partner to be your competitor?’ ”

Microsoft has signed five major retailers since July: Albertsons, Gap, Kroger, Walgreens, and Walmart. “You really can’t tell who works for who,” says Rodney McMullen, CEO of Kroger Co., who with Microsoft’s help is building concept stores, with digital shelving displays and AI-driven promotions, in the mode of Amazon’s checkout-free Amazon Go stores. Microsoft engineers are embedded at Kroger’s offices.

Nadella’s strategy has led Microsoft to pass on opportunities that have proven seductive for other tech players. Amazon and Google have pursued autonomous-vehicle hardware, for example, but Microsoft chose not to go after that business, instead focusing on the AI and analytics tools necessary to sell self-driving technology to the likes of BMW, Nissan, and Volkswagen. BMW AG, for instance, is using Microsoft technology to develop an in-vehicle voice assistant—one that can respond to “Hey, BMW,” instead of Amazon’s “Hey, Alexa.” “We are not pushing a Microsoft brand in the car,” says Sanjay Ravi, Microsoft’s automotive industry general manager. “We will give you the brain and provide all the elements to create [your own].”

The company has been particularly successful in industries far removed from software. Azure runs the safety operations for Chevron Corp., analyzing hundreds of terabytes of data from as many as 2,700 wells, while Microsoft’s augmented-reality HoloLens headset allows engineers at Chevron offices in Houston to virtually repair equipment located in the Permian Basin. Collected data is used to optimize drilling efficiencies, but the ultimate purpose is to prevent any Deepwater Horizon-scale disasters. “[A Microsoft VP] said, ‘I get your problem, and I’m going to create a team to solve your problem.’ And that’s exactly what happened,” says Chevron tech general manager Sebastian Gass, seated beneath a poster of an oil-rig-turned-inferno emblazoned with the words “Not on My Watch.”

Microsoft monitors the health of its own infrastructure from Redmond, in a cavernous Azure Cloud Collaboration Center that calls to mind a Norad facility, replete with wall-mounted screens that keep a pulse on hacking threats. Here teams agonize over critical systems Azure is buttressing—hospitals, airplanes, elections. One glitch now has the potential to paralyze a retailer’s e-commerce app on, say, Black Friday. “It’s a little stressful,” says Guthrie, the cloud executive vice president. He now spends that day refreshing Microsoft’s network status. “Thanksgiving used to be a holiday I really enjoyed.”

Despite Microsoft’s successes, critics sometimes hint there’s something empty about the Nadellaissance. The company’s portfolio includes disparate products and services such as GitHub, LinkedIn, and Xbox that have little to do with one another. The big bet on HoloLens is still years away from proving worthwhile financially, if it ever does. And the legacy businesses still at times feel like products of the old Microsoft, not working as well as they could outside of Windows.

The overarching criticism is one that’s persisted since the dot-com bust: Microsoft must regain its hipness. Vanity Fair, in one of the innumerable exposés over the past decade documenting the company’s downfall, pinned its Windows 95 launch, featuring Gates and Ballmer dad-bopping onstage to the Rolling Stones’ Start Me Up, as the moment Microsoft “reached the pinnacle of cool.” Recently, with the company crossing the $1 trillion valuation mark, others have dusted off this narrative, suggesting Redmond has finally recaptured its former flair. “There’s a confidence at Microsoft born of its renewal,” says WPP’s Read. “Microsoft is cool again.”

There’s a flaw in that analysis: Microsoft was never cool. If there’s anything Nadella, the CEO who recently gushed to colleagues about a fun medieval history book he’d read, has recaptured at Microsoft, it’s Gates’s unreconstructed nerdulence.

This is an important shift. For much of the Ballmer era, Microsoft was chasing a sexy, Apple-like version of itself, and mostly failing. For every iPod, there was a Zune; for every iPad, a Surface tablet; for every iOS device, a Windows Phone. The company was trying to be everything to everyone. At heart, Nadella has Microsoft remembering who it is again in all its Gatesian glory. With that comes the bad: Customers say its cloud services still feel disjointed in a distinctly Microsoft way, and current and former employees say that while the culture has improved, the company still struggles with the same old political infighting and ugly employee behavior. Only last month, internal emails surfaced from dozens of female Microsoft workers who had reported years of sexual harassment and discrimination to senior corporate leaders. (Nadella has since outlined steps to overhaul Microsoft’s human resources practices and how it investigates harassment claims.)

But Nadella’s approach has also restored the classic Microsoft strengths: the engineering might, the infrastructure plumbing, and, yes, the Empire Strikes Back-like ambition. Listen to Microsoft executives boast about their future today, and it’s hard to stay awake among talk of cloud products such as Azure Database for PostgreSQL, Power BI, and Dynamics 365. They’re part of a business that’s profitable and boring—but for Microsoft, “profitable and boring” is just a longer way of saying “profitable.”

On a sleety afternoon recently in Redmond, the campus is full of fenced-off reconstruction projects. In the Den, an executive suite remodeled with Microsoft’s new West Elm aesthetic, Nadella is explaining how his focus is no longer on the “whiz-bang”—his word to describe the Zune-era Microsoft. Instead, what it’s gotten better at, he says, is “being superdisciplined.”

Microsoft survived an innovator’s dilemma, but it also, so far, survived an identity crisis. “If you keep changing who you are, there’s no chance,” Nadella says, leaning forward on his couch. “We learned from our habits in the past, where we feel like, OK, you can’t be one company and then suddenly, because you’re very successful, do something else. It just doesn’t work.”

Taking a cricket bat to the Windows division, rethinking licensing and committing to cloud computing and services while returning to their origins of unreconstructed nerdulent engineers and getting better at being superdisciplined is starting to look like a winning strategy.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users