#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-23, 15:16

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2013-August-23, 17:40

I'd say West. S/he could have reopened over 3 with 3.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-August-23, 17:49

Obviously either E or W 'could' have bid, but I don't see any real blame: kudos to S for an imaginative 2N, unless S really thought he had a constructive reason for bidding, in which case he got undeservedly lucky.

I once, in a practice match, held something like xx xx x KQJ10xxxx, white v red. Partner opened 2, my screenmate was obviously very close to bidding but passed, so I bid 3N. Our teammates had an unobstructed auction to a cold 6, yet in the post-mortem, it was clear that neither opp at our table did anything obviously wrong....yes, RHO could have overcalled, but her suit was weak and the hcp borderline while LHO had a semi-balanced good hand but not so good that there was any reason to think that my 3N was psychic.

Sometimes bad results, even ones that look 'silly' when one sees the hands, are just the rub of the green.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-August-23, 18:21

View Postmikeh, on 2013-August-23, 17:49, said:

Obviously either E or W 'could' have bid, but I don't see any real blame: kudos to S for an imaginative 2N, unless S really thought he had a constructive reason for bidding, in which case he got undeservedly lucky.

I once, in a practice match, held something like xx xx x KQJ10xxxx, white v red. Partner opened 2, my screenmate was obviously very close to bidding but passed, so I bid 3N. Our teammates had an unobstructed auction to a cold 6, yet in the post-mortem, it was clear that neither opp at our table did anything obviously wrong....yes, RHO could have overcalled, but her suit was weak and the hcp borderline while LHO had a semi-balanced good hand but not so good that there was any reason to think that my 3N was psychic.

Sometimes bad results, even ones that look 'silly' when one sees the hands, are just the rub of the green.

Agree with most of this, and I think if anybody is going to bid it will be E not W. How is W going to enjoy the 2245 3 count that could easily be opposite.

Does (2)-P-(2N)-P-(3)-3 show a hand not good enough to make a leaping michaels or even A 2 overcall 5-5 spades and another, if so I might do it.

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-August-24, 02:47

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-August-23, 18:21, said:

Does (2)-P-(2N)-P-(3)-3 show a hand not good enough to make a leaping michaels or even A 2 overcall 5-5 spades and another, if so I might do it.

I think that shows something like a 3 opening. (2)-P-(2N)-P-(3)-dbl might show this type of hand. Or maybe East should make a delayed Michaels cue-bid - South's 2NT bid will often have a heart fit of some sort, so it's not that dangerous to act.

In one of my partnerships I play 2 (3) as a limited Michaels cue-bid, with 4m as a more serious hand (I think we got the idea from MFA). Even with that agreement, this hand looks a bit light for initial action, but maybe it's right.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-24, 04:15

2 for me

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users