BBO Discussion Forums: SOS Redouble - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

SOS Redouble

#1 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-10, 02:09

Could you please recommend best source about SOS XX?

1NT-X-?

My hand: xxxx, xxx, xxxx, xx.

I like to do XX here and let my pd decide on the suit. If that's OK, what shall I do if pd bids Clubs?

I have read a lot already. Most sources say that partner should automatically bid 2C and I have to switch to Diamonds if necessary (but they have to be at least 5-cards long)...

#2 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-10, 02:11

Just to make sure. The hand is Yarborough (actually one Ten was there).

Sorry, not from home. Don't see Edit button on this phone.

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-August-10, 03:59

I play in this situation:

- xx shows a 5 card suit, asks partner to bid 2 clubs which you then pass or correct
- bidding a suit shows 2 touching 4 card suits.
- pass forces partner to redouble and then you either leave for pens or bid the lower of 2 NON touching 4 card suits.

I know it's not the most complicated method but it's pretty easy to remember and covers most situations :)

so on this hand you would pass and then bid 2D over partners forced xx which would specifically show 4/4 in diamonds and spades.

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-10, 07:48

Thank you, eagles123! Interesting method, new to me. Do many players use it?

Following is from Larry Cohen site:
"If the opponents make a penalty double of 1NT : Pass= to play. Redouble=S.O.S./takeout. Two-of-any-suit = natural, non-forcing (NF). There are more spectacular and better scientific options here, but for the few times it ever comes up, this is easiest to remember. In effect, this is all natural, with an S.O.S. redouble for rescue.
Example: 1NT (pen. X) 2=to play"

Do most players go System-Off as written above?

#5 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-10, 08:00

What about this one? Any possible troubles?

"SoS Redouble: After 1NT doubled a redouble indicates escaping to a suit. Partners
bid 4 card suits up the line until they find a 7 card fit. Suit bids are natural and
to play." from http://www.matthew.a...rd.cgi?id=Sarah

#6 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-August-10, 10:16

Hi it's what most play at the club but it's not a great standard lol :)

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#7 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-10, 22:54

Although getting doubled for penalties is pretty rare after a strong 1NT opening, it comes up a lot more if you play a weak 1NT opening (and also after a 1NT overcall).

A simple method that I like is:

After 1NT - (X) - ???

All bids are natural and show a 5c suit.
Pass is scrambling and asks partner to either bid his own 5c suit or redouble without one.
Redouble shows values and is to play. (Although future doubles are takeout).

An alternative method is:

All bids are natural and show a 5c suit.
Pass is to play.
Redouble is scrambling and shows a hand without a 5c suit. (Opener bids their lowest playable spot)

WesC

#8 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-11, 00:52

Thank you, eagles123 and WesleyC!

What is "scrambling"?

Like this: "Redouble is scrambling and shows a hand without a 5c suit. (Opener bids their lowest playable spot)"

Dealer: South Vul: Both

What should South do after
a) XX by East
b) Pass by East
??

#9 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-11, 09:30

In this context, "scrambling" means a hand that doesn't want to play 1NTx and wants partner to be involved in choosing the contract.

A scrambling hand would typically have 4432 or 4441 shape (with any suits), but you might also sometimes do it with a 5/4 shape if your 5c suit was very weak or even on a 4333 if you were desperate!

In response to your question: "What should south do".

With a balanced hand and good values, south is very happy to defend 1NTx or 1NTxx so they should definitely start by passing.
Then if east/west escape to 2D, I would re-open the with a takeout double (which is my agreement).
Some people play double is for penalty in this kind of auction. If that is your agreement I guess you might try a 3D cuebid.

Hope this was helpful,

Mike

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-August-11, 09:44

After an SOS RDbl you both bid your suits up the line, hoping to find a playable spot (= 7+ card fit). Opener should bid 2 on any 4M333 imo, because you might end up in a poor contract otherwise (extreme example: 4=3=3=3 opposite 1=4=4=4), so I actually like a doubleton whenever I RDbl (and hate a 3 card because you have to pass hoping opener has 4+).

Here, after opener's 2 rebid, you bid 2 denying 3+ and showing 4.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#11 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-11, 10:10

Thank you, Mike and Free.

How would it go after South doubles or cue bids in case E/W escape to 2D?

#12 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-August-11, 13:47

On the subject of escapes from 1NT X, I really must advocate that pass should be to play. With a not very exciting 5 or 6 count, being forced to run is a poor idea, but having to decide between that or raising the blue flag, is not a decision I want to take.

I play that XX = a 5 card suit somewhere
2C = clubs and a higher suit
2D = diamonds and a higher suit
2H = majors
2S = spades

and this has worked well for me.

#13 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-11, 17:59

Opposite a weak NT, I have had several good results playing 1NTx. Sometimes they're +180s, but frequently they're -100s into their partscore, or -200/-300 into their game. I will admit that opposite a strong NT I just bull it out. Hopefully my cards are an entry.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-12, 02:04

Strongly agree with those who don't want to lose a 1NTx contract.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-12, 03:19

View Postmr1303, on 2013-August-11, 13:47, said:

On the subject of escapes from 1NT X, I really must advocate that pass should be to play. With a not very exciting 5 or 6 count, being forced to run is a poor idea, but having to decide between that or raising the blue flag, is not a decision I want to take.

Why not? If the auction starts 1NT (X) ??? you as responder are the only one with complete information about the relative HCP distribution between the two sides. If you don't enjoy redoubling on a 5-6 count when you know that your side has 20(21)+ HCP, imagine how little the two opponents are going to enjoy being forced to guess whether to pass or pull on their hands with either less information!

One other thing to consider is that 1NT redoubled is game so at IMPs scoring you don't even need to make it half of the time for it to be profitable. e.g.
NV you risk -100 (-1) vs +380 (=)
Vul you risking -200 (-1) to vs +580 (=)

However, I do agree that not being able to play 1NTx is a lot to give up at Matchpoints.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users