Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows XP->7 I can do that! Maybe!

#1 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-06, 08:16

I have a laptop that runs on Windows 7 and an old desktop that runs on XP.. I have learned that Windows will no support XP ( I think this means security will be poor, for example) after the end of the year. Windows offers instructions about how to convert via a "clean install".

Has anyone tried this? I am not totally incompetent in such matters but more than once I have sat down at a computer hoping to complete a task in short order, only to find myself tearing my hair out later. Usually I get it done, eventually.

I can easily transfer files electronically to another location and bring them back later. Obviously I would have to re-install some programs such as Mathematica, Latex, (and most importantly BBO), etc but except for the time it takes, I would expect no problems there.

Mostly I am concerned about the "up jumped the devil" factor of unexpected difficulties.

I do, I think, have another option. I got this computer nine years ago. The fall after I retired a colleague and friend died. The department asked if I could take over his advanced calculus class and how much I would want. I told them that I hoped to stay involved with the department so if they just bought a good computer and assigned it to me for home use I would be fine with that. So, technically, the computer belongs to the Univ. Most of the files on it are in fact mathematics files so this is not really a scam. So I guess I could bring it in to the geeks there and say "do this". But if I can do it myself this seems simpler.

Your thoughts?

PS Back when I was more active I could handle Unix/Linnix, but those skills are long gone and I think I prefer to let them rest in peace. So I plan to go with the upgrade to 7 unless someone makes a really persuasive case otherwise. Upgrading to Windows 8 does not seem to be an option that is offered. I know there was a hate 8 thread, but my wife has 8 on her computer and she seems to manage. So I would consider that.
Ken

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-06, 09:18

I've tried to do an upgrade install and failed, and I'm reasonably computer adept. However, the reason it failed was that I use some uncommon stuff, so I think for a mainstream user it should work.
The good news is that to manually copy over everything and get it working was much easier than I thought. Not something I would recommend but it's doable.

I do recommend upgrading to 7, and I'm remarkably picky about these things.

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-06, 09:20

First concern is, a nine year old machine may not be able to run windows 7. You will need at least 2 GB of RAM, which you likely don't have. You can (probably) add memory, but now you are into hardware upgrades as well. Your existing processor is probably adequate, although could be a bit slow, and this will be more difficult and expensive to upgrade. The install itself is theoretically simple .. if everything stays on script.

Overall I would suggest taking it to a shop, they can do a clean install for you and put in the memory you need, probably for $150 bucks or so.

edit: or better yet use the department "geeks"
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-06, 09:31

I would buy a new computer. Nine years is old age if you want to run windows.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-06, 09:38

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-August-06, 09:31, said:

I was going to say that, but the specter of windows 8 checked my tongue. If it is possible to buy new with win7, that would be my first choice by far.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-August-06, 10:14

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-August-06, 09:31, said:

That's an option I will consider.. But this one seems sturdy, if ancient. The first car I ever bought new was a 1966 Dodge Dart and I sold it much too soon. There were stilkl working Darts on the road in the 70s and maybe later. It's not the same I know, but unlike some computers this one just seems to keep on doing it's thing with no back talk. So if it can accommodate the upgrade I might well preserve it

Bill, I'll check on the RAM and get back to you. At the time the Department was very happy with my willingness to pick up the courseload and I think they did not much skimp on the computer, but right, mempry might well be an issue. Mathematica is also a space hog so I need plenty of room left over after Windows 7 comes up.

As to Windows 8, I am not sure if there is just a rough get acquainted period or whether there really are downsides. We had a computer running Vista a while back. Everyone hated Vista but it seemed to work ok for us. The computer, on the other hand, turned out to be a disappointment. We gave it a mercy killing a while back.
Ken

#7 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2013-August-06, 10:19

Hi all,
I don't like Windows 8, not for average users on a standard desktop or laptop.

Get a new computer, and request Windows 7 (they often try to push W8). Check the Windows 7 specs online, and go with recommended, not minimum. There is an XP to 7 migration tool if you have an external hard drive, so all your stuff moves over. If you go with your ancient computer, to those who are about to die, we salute you.

Thanks,
Dan

#8 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-August-06, 13:20

System info

Pentium® 4CPU 3.60 GHz
3.59 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram

OK, the 2.00 GB is perhaps off-putting. Like many, I can recall thinking that no one would ever need more! Times change.
Ken

#9 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-06, 15:37

View Postkenberg, on 2013-August-06, 13:20, said:

System info

Pentium® 4CPU 3.60 GHz
3.59 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram

OK, the 2.00 GB is perhaps off-putting. Like many, I can recall thinking that no one would ever need more! Times change.

Requirements for windows 7
http://windows.micro...em-requirements

4 processors, and the speed seems nice. 2GB might not be enough if you want XP mode - if not, can you add more - relatively cheap.
What about hard drive? Do you meet the needs there? Check what you use.

FWIW - I would recommend setting up DropBox on your machine before doing anything else (if you have not already done so). Move all folders containing "data", documents, pictures, etc. but not applications themselves to the DropBox folder. Your machine could blow up 10 seconds after all of that data synchonizes to the "dropbox" cloud. At that point, you could go buy another computer, set up dropbox, and within a small reasonable time (on a decent internet connection) you will have all of your data back - Even if you bought a Mac!

The beauty of that is all of that data is now available between multiple machines if you have them, and even available in some cases on a browser.

As to converting - I have been off windows at home for several years - DropBox saved my butt when the PC hard-drive failed. I bought a Mac a couple days later and almost anything I wanted was back - whatever wasn't was my fault for not having it below dropbox folder. (No not PC applications, of course.) But MS Office files worked with Mac MS Office. At work, we went from XP to 7, without any hiccup. It took about 15-30 minutes per desktop, for IT guys to do it. (After you have moved local hard drive files to a network drive.)

Once you have done that, your IT department could readily (faster than you) convert you. It might be that they can merely "re-image" your machine to the latest OS that they support, and even install software that you have for which they had group license. That would be your least painful approach. After they give it back, install DropBox, and soon you will have all of your data ready to go. Or you could take the machine that they provide, and reinstall necessary software - sometimes a pain - and then "dropbox" it.

Good luck, whatever you do.

#10 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-August-06, 16:41

Thanks for all of that info, FM. Partly looking toward this maneuver, and partly just because it seemed right in general, I have signed up for dropbox. I have not yet dropped anything, but it's a start. I'll read over what you say a couple more times, and then, soon, I will get going on it. I am sort of attached to the clunky old thing and I would just have trouble putting a (metaphorical) bullet in it
Ken

#11 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-06, 18:29

View Postkenberg, on 2013-August-06, 16:41, said:

Thanks for all of that info, FM. Partly looking toward this maneuver, and partly just because it seemed right in general, I have signed up for dropbox. I have not yet dropped anything, but it's a start. I'll read over what you say a couple more times, and then, soon, I will get going on it. I am sort of attached to the clunky old thing and I would just have trouble putting a (metaphorical) bullet in it

Good luck. Really easy to use.
  • Create a dropbox folder.
  • Create a small "hi ken" text file in the folder using notepad.
  • Crank up your favorite browser and log into dropbox.
  • Look at your file on the web.
  • Create a new folder - call it "junkdir", for example.
  • Go back into "Explorer" and look at your dropbox folder.
  • You should see your 'hi ken" text file and the junkdir folder.
  • Delete the junkdir folder.
  • Refresh the Dropbox page - it should then be gone.
If you have a second computer, download dropbox to it and install it.
Soon you will see the "hi ken" text file on it.Posted Image

Once you are comfortable with that, you can share a file or folder with somebody else. You can also get more free storage by inviting others to join. If you have a ton of pictures, you might want to upgrade to much bigger storage. 5GB is pretty nice for normal stuff. It you are outgrowing that, you can get MUCH more for a very nominal fee. And you still won't have to worry about hard drive crashes. (Restoring a hard drive can run you $900-$3,000 or more - even if the restore fails.)

So if you are using two computers, you have the files on 2 hard drives in your possession, but if your house burns down and they both melt, you still have it stored across multiple drives on Dropbox servers. (They most likely back up across multiple data centers!)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users