Alerting - Kokish/2C ACBL

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-July-30, 19:03

ACBL Land

Playing the Kokish responses to 2C, obviously the 2H and 2S puppet sequences should be alerted.

Should openers nt responses showing a specific 2 point nt range be alerted?
2C 2D
2N (22-23)

2C 2D
2H 2S
2N (23-24)

and so on.

ty
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   chrism 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-30, 19:57

No. They are natural and not highly unusual nor unexpected.

#3 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-31, 15:33

I know a pair that Alerts their 2-2x; 2NT, because they invert that and their 2NT opening (and they play 2-2M as "if you have the 20-21 BAL hand, I want to play here"). They explain, but do not Alert, their 2NT opening, after the auction in the 95% of cases where they're the declaring side.

I think even this is more than the ACBL Alert requirements are, but I think it's correct Actively Ethical bridge.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   GHSteele 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-February-12, 15:23

It would seem to me that 2 need not be alerted, it is always natural strong spades. The response of 2NT should be alerted as 'asks opener to describe his hand.'
My guess would be that 2 should be alerted as 'either or NT.' The response of 2 should be alerted as 'asks opener to describe his hand.'

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-12, 19:10

View PostGHSteele, on 2017-February-12, 15:23, said:

It would seem to me that 2 need not be alerted, it is always natural strong spades. The response of 2NT should be alerted as 'asks opener to describe his hand.'
My guess would be that 2 should be alerted as 'either or NT.' The response of 2 should be alerted as 'asks opener to describe his hand.'

Awfully hard to figure out what you mean here. In your first sentence, do you mean a 2 rebid by opener? In your second, are you referring to an auction started 2-2NT? In your third, is it 2-2-2? And finally 2 is responder's second bid after 2-2-2?

In that last case, if that is what you meant, I disagree. It doesn't ask anything. Opener instructed responder to bid 2; he's just complying with the instruction (IOW 2 is a puppet bid).
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-February-13, 00:01

View PostGHSteele, on 2017-February-12, 15:23, said:

The question was about whether to alert opener's 2NT rebid, because its range depends on whether he bid it immediately or went through the 2 Kokish sequence. Everyone knows that you should alert opener's 2 rebid, since it doesn't necessarily show hearts. And responder's 2 bid after this should be alerted because it's forced, and says nothing about whether he has spades.

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-16, 03:56

View Postbarmar, on 2017-February-13, 00:01, said:

And responder's 2 bid after this should be alerted because it's forced, and says nothing about whether he has spades.

Is it? My understanding of the full method is that 2 is a marionette rather than a puppet and that Responder can rebid something other than 2 with specific hand types. Naturally many pairs play a reduce form where 2 really is forced but I am not sure if that is the case here.

Like Ed, I do not really understand the first like of GHSteele's post and disagree with the second - explanations of bids should describe what they show and if 2 is forced then it is not asking anything. If 2 is not forced then it simply denies any of the hand types that would break the marionette.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-February-16, 04:51

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-February-16, 03:56, said:

Is it? My understanding of the full method is that 2 is a marionette rather than a puppet and that Responder can rebid something other than 2 with specific hand types. Naturally many pairs play a reduce form where 2 really is forced but I am not sure if that is the case here.

Like Ed, I do not really understand the first like of GHSteele's post and disagree with the second - explanations of bids should describe what they show and if 2 is forced then it is not asking anything. If 2 is not forced then it simply denies any of the hand types that would break the marionette.

But 2 says nothing about spades whether there are other possible bids or not. I don't understand how this could not be alertable.

I also think that major-suit negatives, as mentioned above, should be alerted.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-February-16, 06:09

View PostVampyr, on 2017-February-16, 04:51, said:

But 2 says nothing about spades whether there are other possible bids or not. I don't understand how this could not be alertable.

It is clearly alertable in pretty much every jurisdiction, the question is over how it is subsequently described. The post to which I was referring suggested the correct explanation is "asks opener to describe his hand".
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-February-16, 07:15

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-February-16, 06:09, said:

It is clearly alertable in pretty much every jurisdiction, the question is over how it is subsequently described. The post to which I was referring suggested the correct explanation is "asks opener to describe his hand".

Well, other bids might show eg desire to play in a minor at the 3-level opposite 20-21, but every bid denies certain hands. 2 is the most common bid, and asks partner to distinguish between and balanced. For me, the followups are 2NT(20-21(22)), 3NT(25+), 3(natural) and 3 other(second suit with hearts). So asking opener yo describe his hand is probably accurate IF opponents know that 2 was or balanced.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-16, 23:17

I must admit that this is the first I've heard of some "full method" wherein 2 is a marionette. I used "puppet" deliberately because afaik the bid is not a marionette.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-20, 17:44

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-February-16, 23:17, said:

I must admit that this is the first I've heard of some "full method" wherein 2 is a marionette. I used "puppet" deliberately because afaik the bid is not a marionette.

weak distributional hands are supposed to break. 2NT = very weak both minors, 3m = very weak to play

#13 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2017-February-21, 08:44

Is it? My understanding of the full method is that 2 is a marionette rather than a puppet

Does that mean that it has some strings attached? Those should be revealed on the basis of full disclosure.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#14 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2017-February-21, 11:29

IIRC (but I mostly know this through the Precision, 1-1; 1 variant), 2 is "I have primary hearts or various strong balanced hands. Please bid 2 so I can tell you which one. If you have something more important to tell me, fine." where something more important is usually "I have Qxxxxx and out. You may want to play in my suit."

So, "forces" 2. Yes, that probably should be revealed, but since my explanation shouldn't mention responses anyway...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-February-21, 11:34

How do people normally describe a Lebensohl 2NT bid? This is pretty similar.

#16 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2017-February-21, 12:56

View Postbarmar, on 2017-February-21, 11:34, said:

How do people normally describe a Lebensohl 2NT bid? This is pretty similar.

(sorry, perhaps the question was rhetorical)

In my experience "Lebensohl" or "forces/asks me to bid 3".

When I last said something like "asks me to bid 3: usually a weak hand, to play at the 3-level, but can be some awkward game-forcing hands", my partner was surprised.

Robin

This post has been edited by RMB1: 2017-February-21, 12:57

Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#17 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2017-February-21, 14:21

In my experience, "do you know lebensohl? [Yes] It's lebensohl." If no, random flailing.

Also in my experience, "forces me to bid 3." That explanation is so totally horrible as to defy comment, but they do it. And then the TD is called when dummy domes down with 4=3=4=2 10 count, and the club lead would set it (and the heart lead doesn't), but "he said he had clubs!" (never mind the "stayman with a heart stopper" explanation after - you just can't get the "transfer" explanation out of their heads).

It's actually relatively trivial (over 1NT) to enumerate the hands, so I do. But I realize I don't think like many bridge players.

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-February-22, 06:18

View Postmycroft, on 2017-February-21, 14:21, said:

In my experience, "do you know lebensohl? [Yes] It's lebensohl." If no, random flailing.

Well, if you say "no", you will get something and can ask supplemental questions. I always say "no".

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-February-22, 10:12

View PostRMB1, on 2017-February-21, 12:56, said:

(sorry, perhaps the question was rhetorical)

In my experience "Lebensohl" or "forces/asks me to bid 3".

When I last said something like "asks me to bid 3: usually a weak hand, to play at the 3-level, but can be some awkward game-forcing hands", my partner was surprised.

Robin

Where is the part about bypassing 3 if you have an unusual hand for your previous action? That's the parallel I was making with the Kokish 2 bid.

#20 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2017-February-22, 11:17

View Postbarmar, on 2017-February-22, 10:12, said:

Where is the part about bypassing 3 if you have an unusual hand for your previous action? That's the parallel I was making with the Kokish 2 bid.

Should I be describing my responses?

Usually I have no agreement beyond "Lebensohl" and "slow denies" and have no agreement about why/how we would by-pass 3.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users