• You cannot reply to this topic

Alerting - Kokish/2C ACBL

#21 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-22, 11:59

View PostVampyr, on 2017-February-22, 06:18, said:

Well, if you say "no", you will get something and can ask supplemental questions. I always say "no".
Hope you can understand 'random flailing', then.

Most commonly, "I have to bid 3."
If you're lucky, ", so partner can describe her hand."
If you're less lucky, "well, usually she's got a weak hand where she wants to play in a suit,..."
If you're really unlucky, "transfer." (and no, they're not playing transfer lebensohl)

Remember, these are people who will confidently announce "could be short" to partner's 1 opener, have *no idea* how to answer "so, what does she have if it's short?", then Alert the 1NT rebid as "15-17 NT, 1-1x-1NT would be 13-14".

The best part about this with good old leb is that the people *asking* don't understand, either, and will latch on to "he said clubs" and everything else will just disappear.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#22 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-March-16, 09:52

View Postlamford, on 2017-February-21, 08:44, said:

Does that mean that it has some strings attached? Those should be revealed on the basis of full disclosure.

The strings are that 2 is not forced even if it is by far the most common rebid.

View Postbarmar, on 2017-February-21, 11:34, said:

How do people normally describe a Lebensohl 2NT bid? This is pretty similar.

Similar yes but different. In Lebensohl 3 really is forced as Opener is limited; here 2 is not forced. The situation is closer to Lebensohl/Blackout over a reverse, where Opener is expected to break the relay with certain hands.

In the laws and regulations, the correct description of such bids is what the call actually shows. In the case of a reverse that might be "any non-GF hand" or "any non-GF with 4 spades" or whatever. For 2 in Kokish it depends which hands you include in the relay breaks but I would suggest a description of the form "any hand except ..." would be appropriate, although if too complicated it is perhaps practical just to use a formulation such as "most hands, exceptions available upon request" and provide the complete description if the opps want to hear it.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users