BBO Discussion Forums: Losing connection during play - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Losing connection during play Are the BBO servers man enough?

#1 User is offline   Tamarbri 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-July-29, 11:36

I don't know if it is just me, but I think not. Recently, whilst playing, I am suddenly cut off! Connection Lost!
I know it is not MY connection as I am using Fibre Broadband at 20Mb/sec. And my email is still connected. My platform is Win 7 Pro 64 bit with an AMD Athlon 64 x2 DCP 6000 at 3GHz. 6GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 8500 graphics.

Are there any others out there suffering the same problems??? :(

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-29, 13:13

It's something on your end. In thousands of hands played on BBO I can count the times the servers have actually gone down on one hand.

#3 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-29, 13:59

Pretty sure the gerbil running in its wheel to power the servers deserves a break every once in a while.

Bless you, noble rodent.
OK
bed

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-July-29, 14:26

rahje, did you have something to add? All you did was quote the original post, with no added reply (so I deleted it).

Did you want to say that it's happening to you, too? But in another thread, you said you can't get Flash to work at all. So which is it -- you're able to login, but you get disconnected, or you can't get the application to run at all?

#5 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-29, 15:51

View PostTamarbri, on 2013-July-29, 11:36, said:

I don't know if it is just me, but I think not. Recently, whilst playing, I am suddenly cut off! Connection Lost!
I know it is not MY connection as I am using Fibre Broadband at 20Mb/sec. And my email is still connected. My platform is Win 7 Pro 64 bit with an AMD Athlon 64 x2 DCP 6000 at 3GHz. 6GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 8500 graphics.

1) You might mention which version of the software you are running.
2) If web version, browser, flash versions, etc. are more useful than hardware specs.
3) The fact that e-mail continues to work does not suggest that you do not have a connection problem. E-Mail just queries hosts periodically. So you could lose a connection for 5 minutes and not notice that nothing came in via e-mail. Or you could lose it for 3 seconds, poll your email reestablishing a connection and get email.
4) Can you watch a half-hour streaming video without interruption?

Other than problems I saw someone using that seemed to be flash related on windows 7 (Chrome browser) a couple years back, I probably have not gotten disconnected more than 5 times in the last couple years. Macbook pro, IMac, running Chrome browser. (Not counting connection failures on dubious quality wifi such as you might find in a hotel - which clearly were not server related.)

#6 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-30, 05:50

View PostFM75, on 2013-July-29, 15:51, said:

1) You might mention which version of the software you are running.
2) If web version, browser, flash versions, etc. are more useful than hardware specs.
3) The fact that e-mail continues to work does not suggest that you do not have a connection problem. E-Mail just queries hosts periodically. So you could lose a connection for 5 minutes and not notice that nothing came in via e-mail. Or you could lose it for 3 seconds, poll your email reestablishing a connection and get email.
4) Can you watch a half-hour streaming video without interruption?

Other than problems I saw someone using that seemed to be flash related on windows 7 (Chrome browser) a couple years back, I probably have not gotten disconnected more than 5 times in the last couple years. Macbook pro, IMac, running Chrome browser. (Not counting connection failures on dubious quality wifi such as you might find in a hotel - which clearly were not server related.)

I have the same problem on win 7, 64 bit.

2) firefox 22.0 (newest), flash version 11,8,800,94 installed (newest). I have no BBO software installed. The problem happens very sporadic, for example one hour in a tournament. I get connection lost.
4) Of course I can.

It looks to me also not like a problem on my side.

Rainer Herrmann

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-30, 13:14

I'm not sure what to tell you. If there were a problem with our servers, we would get complaints from hundreds of users -- it's not something that could easily go unnoticed. When it's just a handful, the problem is most likely either at your end or with your ISP.

A few months ago we added a connection quality display in the top right corner of the web version. How does that look when you're having this problem?

Our servers are in the US. So there may sometimes be connectivity problems to Europe and Asia -- the cables that cross the oceans can get congested. There's not a whole lot we can currently do about this.

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-July-30, 13:21

I have occasionally lost my connection briefly in the middle of games, but I get it back within a few seconds. It sometimes takes 10-15 seconds between the time I lose my connection and the time the LOST CONNECTION screen appears. I immediately log back in and I am back. I would guess this has happened 2-3 times within the past 10 days.

My regular partner has been having more problems with his connection than I have. Both of us are in New Jersey with cable broadband isp (COMCAST), so that is not the problem.

#9 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-30, 14:42

There are various tools, some free, some not.
http://www.guidingte...ed-and-quality/

This is just one. Google things like "internet connection speed", "internet connection quality" , or monitor.

I would start with the assumption that the problem was at my end, not the server end. Try wire instead of wireless, if that is an option. As Barry mentioned, BBO typically is supporting 7500 or more connections. My experience with lost connections suggests that certain people are prone to connection loss. That also suggests that the problem is in "the last mile".

That is not to say that it might not be a software problem, but again, the evidence suggests that it is at the client end.

Try the free tools first.

#10 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-31, 02:27

View PostArtK78, on 2013-July-30, 13:21, said:

I have occasionally lost my connection briefly in the middle of games, but I get it back within a few seconds. It sometimes takes 10-15 seconds between the time I lose my connection and the time the LOST CONNECTION screen appears. I immediately log back in and I am back. I would guess this has happened 2-3 times within the past 10 days.

My regular partner has been having more problems with his connection than I have. Both of us are in New Jersey with cable broadband isp (COMCAST), so that is not the problem.

My symptoms are similar, only that a reconnect takes at least a minute.
That's not a problem if you play IMPs at a table.
But at a tournament you are substituted by then

Rainer Herrmann

#11 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-31, 02:47

View PostFM75, on 2013-July-30, 14:42, said:

There are various tools, some free, some not.
http://www.guidingte...ed-and-quality/

This is just one. Google things like "internet connection speed", "internet connection quality" , or monitor.

I would start with the assumption that the problem was at my end, not the server end. Try wire instead of wireless, if that is an option. As Barry mentioned, BBO typically is supporting 7500 or more connections. My experience with lost connections suggests that certain people are prone to connection loss. That also suggests that the problem is in "the last mile".

That is not to say that it might not be a software problem, but again, the evidence suggests that it is at the client end.

Try the free tools first.

What do theses tools really test, except speed?
I test my line speed often. I am aware that the speed of my ISP varies. Believe this to be normal. I am happy when I get half of the nominal 6 MB/sec I bought.
But it usually does not drop say below 100 K/sec.
Is BBO not designed to work with fairly slow connections?
My understanding is you would want a tool which tells you some diagnostics what caused a connection to fail. (e.g. timeout (after what time, after how many retries), who closed the connection etc.)
Connection lost message is a symptom, which does not tell you much.

Rainer Herrmann

#12 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-31, 02:57

View Postbarmar, on 2013-July-30, 13:14, said:

I'm not sure what to tell you. If there were a problem with our servers, we would get complaints from hundreds of users -- it's not something that could easily go unnoticed. When it's just a handful, the problem is most likely either at your end or with your ISP.

A few months ago we added a connection quality display in the top right corner of the web version. How does that look when you're having this problem?

Our servers are in the US. So there may sometimes be connectivity problems to Europe and Asia -- the cables that cross the oceans can get congested. There's not a whole lot we can currently do about this.

I understand, I was not aware of the quality display. I will check next time I am connected.

Rainer Herrmann

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-31, 11:05

BBO doesn't require very much bandwidth. This is especially true of the web version, it's one of the major design differences (the download version is notified of every user login/logout, so it can update its lobby display, but the web version only displays friends, hosts, stars, and kibitzers at the current table, so it's only notified of these changes).

What it does require is reasonable response time (low latency), and reliability (low packet drops). This is what the connection quality indicator is based on.

#14 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-31, 14:34

View Postrhm, on 2013-July-31, 02:47, said:

What do theses tools really test, except speed?
I test my line speed often. I am aware that the speed of my ISP varies. Believe this to be normal. I am happy when I get half of the nominal 6 MB/sec I bought.
But it usually does not drop say below 100 K/sec.
Is BBO not designed to work with fairly slow connections?
My understanding is you would want a tool which tells you some diagnostics what caused a connection to fail. (e.g. timeout (after what time, after how many retries), who closed the connection etc.)
Connection lost message is a symptom, which does not tell you much.

Rainer Herrmann

I really don't intend to repeat all of the different things tested on the link I gave. It is about connections - making, maintaining, and possibly re-establishing that is the issue. I was just suggesting that you could try to find a diagnostic tool that might identify your problem for you.

BBO uses Flash, which as clunky (complex) as it is, was optimized for low bandwidth back in the days when high bandwidth was rare.

#15 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-July-31, 23:04

Last two nights, playing in ACBL BBO tournaments, I lost my connection. I was able to get back in within about 15 seconds.

There is no obvious reason why I am losing my connection. I am playing on a broadband home network on my laptop (not a hardwired connection). The disconnection problem is recent. I don't recall any disconnections prior to the last two weeks.

#16 User is offline   celosia 

• Pip

Posted 2015-November-14, 11:51

I am losing connection during play both at home and while traveling...so it is unlikely a server problem. Using iPad which I keep updated. Any theories?
March 17, 2016: The problem continues. Lost connection 4 or 5 times while playing weekly tournament. Not my server. A few days ago, I had husband get onto BBO and play a few hands with me...same table...I was host. I got disconnected, he did not..
No answers. Does anyone from BBO EVER RESPOND?

#17 User is offline   mijbe 

• Pip

Posted 2016-July-31, 17:58

Mine freezes constantly on iPad SOOOOO frustrating

#18 User is offline   hopespring 

• Pip

Posted 2016-August-04, 15:54

I am having this problem too...hopefully someone out there can help. I've never had any problems before but since beginning of July I keep getting disconnected during play and then immediately reconnecting again. It's so frustrating. I know it's not my internet but can't think what is causing the problem. Happens with both web and downloaded version

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-August-05, 08:52

View Posthopespring, on 2016-August-04, 15:54, said:

Happens with both web and downloaded version

In that case it's most likely your Internet, because the different versions connect to different servers at our end.

#20 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-06, 08:01

View Posthopespring, on 2016-August-04, 15:54, said:

I am having this problem too...hopefully someone out there can help. I've never had any problems before but since beginning of July I keep getting disconnected during play and then immediately reconnecting again. It's so frustrating. I know it's not my internet but can't think what is causing the problem. Happens with both web and downloaded version

mmm perhaps it is version u r using fi :rolleyes:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users