BBO Discussion Forums: Losing connection during play - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Losing connection during play Are the BBO servers man enough?

#21 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-13, 22:38

I haven't been having issues, but running tourneys I see the same people consistently having issues with connection and they usually get back within a minute, often within seconds. There are 4 or 5 I can think of, most of them in the US and most of whom say this is a fairly recent thing and they don't know why. Because they get back quickly they are philosophical about it, just alert directors at the beginning of the tourney this is likely to happen. It's a bit disheartening when they've waited for a tourney and lose connection a couple of seconds before it starts,though,so they lose their seats. One told me the problems started after the last upgrade.Don't know if that's of any help at all, but thought it might be useful to know there are several people who have this issue who are not talking to BBO about it.

#22 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-15, 01:56

View Postbarmar, on 2013-July-30, 13:14, said:

I'm not sure what to tell you. If there were a problem with our servers, we would get complaints from hundreds of users --

View Postonoway, on 2016-August-13, 22:38, said:

.... but thought it might be useful to know there are several people who have this issue who are not talking to BBO about it.

These comments pinpoint the real issue neatly, I think. I would hazard a guess that 99% of people who experience a loss of connection, simply can't be ****d to report it - partly because they're more interested in re-establishing their connection to BBO and continue what they came for, i.e. play bridge - and partly because of the hassle involved in making a complaint: you have to compose and send an E-mail to support@bridgebase.com, presumably complete with corroborative details.....

OK. I don't seem to get connection problems directly, myself*, but I have plenty of instances of other players losing connection at the table I'm playing at - which, you will appreciate, can be very annoying, especially when it happens whilst a hand is being played out. I know full well that players sometimes go briefly AWOL for other reasons: phone call etc. But if a player comes back and tells us they've had a connection loss, I'm inclined to believe them.

Perhaps I should pick up Barmar's gauntlet? Perhaps I should report every single instance of connection loss witnessed by me, to support@... ? Complete with screen grabs and other 'evidence'? Would that cut the mustard?

*Perhaps it's my setup. I use the web version with XP (yeah! Good ol' XP still going mate!) along with Firefox. Very few probs.

#23 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-15, 12:59

And as it happens......

Here is a typical example, from less than an hour ago (at about 19:20 GMT+1).
Posted Image
Please note, this is a screen grab, not a hand diagram. I see no reason to anonymise the players since no-one was doing anything wrong.

I had just led the 4, as you can see. "bbidd", as declarer, said she could not see my lead and hence could not play. There was no remedy except for her to log off and then on again, or else for us to abandon the hand. But she did not say anything about a bad connection at her end.

This sort of thing is happening with monotonous regularity, and I'm afraid it can spoil an otherwise agreeable bridge session.

I'd really like it to be taken more seriously please.

#24 User is offline   brucemca 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-February-03, 06:54

The problem of disconnection from BBO is widespread - it happens to someone on the table I am playing nearly every time I am on BBO. The Sunday morning tourney I play is frequently disrupted by disconnections and therefore takes longer than it should and is sometimes spoilt by long delays. It has also happened to me and we have fibre broadband, but we don't suffer this problem on any other site - only on BBO.

#25 User is offline   angielou 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-October-27, 23:26

View PostTamarbri, on 2013-July-29, 11:36, said:

I don't know if it is just me, but I think not. Recently, whilst playing, I am suddenly cut off! Connection Lost!
I know it is not MY connection as I am using Fibre Broadband at 20Mb/sec. And my email is still connected. My platform is Win 7 Pro 64 bit with an AMD Athlon 64 x2 DCP 6000 at 3GHz. 6GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 8500 graphics.

Are there any others out there suffering the same problems??? :(

Not just you; same thing happening to me...no issues with our end of it....been member of BBo since 1997...sometimes there are too many people connected...very annoying !
Angielou

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users