BBO Discussion Forums: What's the point of "Manage your ignored users?" - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the point of "Manage your ignored users?"

#1 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-July-29, 02:44

The thread title says it all.

Manage your ignored users
Name Group Posts Ignore Posts Ignore Messages
Add a new user to your list
• Member's Name
o Ignore Personal Conversations
o Ignore Posts
or Cancel

Ignore "Personal Conversations" is fine. But "Ignore Posts?"
What does the system software do if your "Ignored User" makes a reply in one of your threads? How do you ignore that?

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-July-29, 03:36

There's a little link in place of his/her posts (something like "{ignored user} has made a post. Click to show"). I must admit that I usually couldn't resist in clicking the link so I just emptied my ignore list :) YMMV.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-29, 04:16

View Postgwnn, on 2013-July-29, 03:36, said:

I must admit that I usually couldn't resist in clicking the link so I just emptied my ignore list :) YMMV.

Lord...please help our dear Csaba Posted Image

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-29, 04:59

View Postgwnn, on 2013-July-29, 03:36, said:

There's a little link in place of his/her posts (something like "{ignored user} has made a post. Click to show"). I must admit that I usually couldn't resist in clicking the link so I just emptied my ignore list :) YMMV.

The programmers need to rethink this. Split it into two -
1. Users that I follow (no need for the paradox principle now), and
2. Users that I ignore. Now you need to be creative and find a way that any posts from these users really can be ignored e.g. an automatic show/hide for the user in question. Until you remove the user from your "Manage your ignored users," the automatic "hide" function will ENSURE that you really can't read anything your ignored user posts.

Barmar/Inquiry
Send this proposal to Rain (or whoever does the programming). Now we will really have some satisfied formum members! :)

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-July-29, 05:00

View Post32519, on 2013-July-29, 04:59, said:

Send this proposal to Rain (or whoever does the programming). Now we will really have some satisfied formum members! :)

The forum software is developed / maintained by third parties
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-July-29, 05:11

I don't understand how ignoring someone wd help me not miss any of their posts... I often don't notice at all the little link with "click to view" and I wd find it very tiring to open threads looking for that link in particular. I much rather notice the name of the poster than the hidden link.

#7 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-29, 06:13

Here's another question on this issue.
Many only login with their user ID's when they actually want to post something. So if you're just browsing the forums as a "Guest," how exactly do you go about ignoring your "Ignored Users?"

You can fool all the people some of the time, and you can fool some of the people all the time, but you can never fool all the people all the time.

So what am I actually saying? The "Ignored user" function is a complete waste of time, money and energy. I withdraw my suggesting in the post higher up this thread.

#8 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-July-29, 06:39

View Post32519, on 2013-July-29, 06:13, said:

Many only login with their user ID's when they actually want to post something. So if you're just browsing the forums as a "Guest," how exactly do you go about ignoring your "Ignored Users?"

How about logging in?? You can log in anonymously if you are afraid people will see which threads your reading (but why would you?? there is no sexting thread or what not here).

Once again you start by asking a normal question, you get some reasonable answers and then you present your strange/outlandish premises and strange/outlandish conclusions, finally dismissing the whole idea completely.

I agree though that a 'Follow' option would be nice, kind of like the 'Close friend' option on Facebook.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#9 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-29, 07:02

Bizarrely enough, I use the ignore list to ... ignore people.

I suppose "follow user" would be a useful option for some, although I would not use it. Note, you can use the search functions to find posts by specific users. Admittedly this is not as efficient as a follow function, but at least it works.

Also, I would think that many users have a cookie set and so are logged anytime they visit the site. Apparently OP not among them.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-July-29, 07:05

You can also go to a user's profile and click "Find My Content". That has the added advantage of also telling you whether you have unread messages in the thread.
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-July-29, 07:33

Many ? How do you know ?
Personally i always log in with my ID, unless software that i use to clean my pc regularly deletes my pw and i log in anonymously and don't recognize it until i try to post something but it won't allow me.

So what am I actually saying? The "Ignored user" function is a complete waste of time, money and energy. I withdraw my suggesting in the post higher up this thread.

You are doing the same thing again that you always do. Starting a topic, asking questions, and coming to a conclusion impatiently, and i bet you will stick to this conclusion with dogged determination and argue until the end.

I used this button and it really helped me. I mean what can be better proof of how good this button is ? There was a person that i thought w/o her existence life would be 1000 times more fun, i used this button, and i did not even know she was not a part of this community anymore until you asked a question to mods in other topic.

You can hardly blame this button and call it useless,waste of time etc just because some user contradicted with himself and opened that little thing even though he did not wanna see anything from that person. Call it "change of mind" not "malfunction of ignore button" Or just because some people like to log in like ghosts. Oh yea, it is the ignore button which is useless.

Otoh i agree that this button was not invented for people like you, who has unbelievable talent to ignore others anyway. Why do you even need that button ?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-29, 07:52

For someone who starts a new thread every 30 seconds, you thought this was appropriate general bridge discussion?
OK
bed

#13 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-29, 08:04

View PostMrAce, on 2013-July-29, 07:33, said:

Otoh i agree that this button was not invented for people like you, who has unbelievable talent to ignore others anyway. Why do you even need that button ?

I kinda hate discussing specific posters instead of moderation or forum contributions in general but this made me laugh.

#14 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-29, 08:30

OK, so it would appear as though there is a genuine desire for this function to be refined.
Step 1:
Now I’m not a computer geek so I need the geeks to help here. To ensure that you can never read anything from your “Ignored users” again, can the programmers set the function to identify you via your IP address i.e. identify you without the need to actually login into the forums? This way even if you are just browsing the forums as a “Guest” you still won’t be able to read anything from your ignored users.
Step 2:
Split the function into two –
1. Users that I follow, and
2. Users that I ignore
Step 3:
I’ve got MrACE as one of my “Ignored users.” That helps absolutely squat when he posts in my threads (or a thread that I am following). When I read what others have replied I inevitably come across what he posted as well. In this thread he has already posted twice (number 3 and number 11). So how can I block him out completely? Once I’ve added someone’s name to my list of “Ignored users” I need the software to collapse posts 3 and 11 for me so that I can never see them (similar to the “spoiler” function that we see people using all the time). The software must not allow a show/hide option. It gets hardcoded to “hide.” The only way it must permit me to read what my “Ignored users” have posted is to remove them from my list. With posts 3 and 11 completely hidden, I must not even be able to tell which of my ignored users has posted something here. Doing it this way, people can rant and rave and say whatever they want. It won’t matter as I cannot read it until I remove their names from my “Ignored users.”

So to keep you happy, this idea is back on the table.

#15 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-29, 08:35

View PostMrAce, on 2013-July-29, 07:33, said:

Many ? How do you know ?
Personally i always log in with my ID, unless software that i use to clean my pc regularly deletes my pw and i log in anonymously and don't recognize it until i try to post something but it won't allow me.

You are doing the same thing again that you always do. Starting a topic, asking questions, and coming to a conclusion impatiently, and i bet you will stick to this conclusion with dogged determination and argue until the end.

I used this button and it really helped me. I mean what can be better proof of how good this button is ? There was a person that i thought w/o her existence life would be 1000 times more fun, i used this button, and i did not even know she was not a part of this community anymore until you asked a question to mods in other topic.

You can hardly blame this button and call it useless,waste of time etc just because some user contradicted with himself and opened that little thing even though he did not wanna see anything from that person. Call it "change of mind" not "malfunction of ignore button" Or just because some people like to log in like ghosts. Oh yea, it is the ignore button which is useless.

So tell me exactly why you -
1. Are reading this thread?
2. Already replied twice in it?
since you have so often stated that I am one of YOUR IGNORED USERS!

#16 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-29, 12:15

View Post32519, on 2013-July-29, 08:30, said:

OK, so it would appear as though there is a genuine desire for this function to be refined.
Step 1:
Now I'm not a computer geek so I need the geeks to help here. To ensure that you can never read anything from your "Ignored users" again, can the programmers set the function to identify you via your IP address i.e. identify you without the need to actually login into the forums? This way even if you are just browsing the forums as a "Guest" you still won't be able to read anything from your ignored users. log in before you open threads.
Step 2:
Split the function into two –
1. Users that I follow, and
2. Users that I ignore
Step 3:
I've got MrACE as one of my "Ignored users." That helps absolutely squat when he posts in my threads (or a thread that I am following). When I read what others have replied I inevitably come across what he posted as well. In this thread he has already posted twice (number 3 and number 11). So how can I block him out completely? Once I've added someone's name to my list of "Ignored users" I need the software to collapse posts 3 and 11 for me this is exactly what it does so that I can never see them (similar to the "spoiler" function that we see people using all the time). The software must not allow a show/hide option. Or maybe you could just not click on "show post"? It gets hardcoded to "hide." The only way it must permit me to read what my "Ignored users" have posted is to remove them from my list. With posts 3 and 11 completely hidden, I must not even be able to tell which of my ignored users has posted something here. Doing it this way, people can rant and rave and say whatever they want. It won't matter as I cannot read it until I remove their names from my "Ignored users." As was previously mentioned, BBO does not code the forum software, it is provided by a third party. So get over it.

So to keep you happy, this idea is back on the table.

fixed
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-July-29, 14:35

View Postbillw55, on 2013-July-29, 12:15, said:

I am sure that this is what everybody else does. I am usually logged in all day, whether I am near my computer or not. Anyway it is a simple enough solution to your problem.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-July-29, 14:38

View Post32519, on 2013-July-29, 08:35, said:

So tell me exactly why you -
1. Are reading this thread?
2. Already replied twice in it?
since you have so often stated that I am one of YOUR IGNORED USERS!

-I had a very naive expectation that you might have gone though some sort of self criticism about the posts you made and how you express yourself in those topics, after yesterday, and that you could be reasonable.

-If you meant ignore button, you are not in my ignored list. You never were. I thought i was clear that there was only one person in that list and i learnt yesterday that she is not a part of this community anymore, from your attempt to hijack the thead.

I ignored the posts you made, those which contributes almost nothing and are about almost always conventions. And you produce them faster than McDonalds producing hamburgers and are equally tasteless if not worse! At least they have an excuse, such as making money. What is your excuse ? Because even an ignorant toddler would have understood already that the things he is doing is far from impressing people if not worse, and tone it down a little.

I replied to this topic, as i said with an expectation that you could for at least once, try to make a difference. Sorry my bad ! Wtf was i thinking ??

#19 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-29, 14:42

That's basically the answer. The forum software keeps track of all personal options by linking them with your username. This is the way most online forums work.

As mentioned above, we don't write the forum software, it comes from another company (Invision Power). While there are lots of customization options (that's how we added the handviewer facility), changing the way it tracks personal options to not require logins is not one of them.

I don't understand why you would try to use the forum that way. It's not just the issue of ignored users, there's also tracking which messages you've read, so you can start reading a thread at the first new message, or use the "View New Content" page.

#20 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-29, 15:44

View Postbarmar, on 2013-July-29, 14:42, said:

I don't understand why you would try to use the forum that way. It's not just the issue of ignored users, there's also tracking which messages you've read, so you can start reading a thread at the first new message, or use the "View New Content" page.

But your way, *he* has to do the work. His way, *you* have to do the work. The preference is clear. :P
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users