BBO Discussion Forums: Defence against penalty double over weak 1NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defence against penalty double over weak 1NT

#1 User is offline   Hilver 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Besides bridge, cycling and reading

Posted 2013-June-21, 01:58

L.S.

You play a weak notrump, 12-14. RHO doubles for penalty.

So:
1NT - (double) - ?

What defence do You use then? In next seat (responder) is a redouble SOS or business?
What is the meaning of a pass by responder?
What escape bids do You use?

Thx

Jan

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-June-21, 01:58

all natural is fine. I haven't seen anything better at least. pass forces redouble is particularly bad.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-21, 02:18

I prefer a simple XX shows a 5 card suit, and a direct suit shows a 4 card suit and a higher suit. Pass is to play.
Wayne Somerville

#4 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-21, 02:21

If you play all natural you can still scramble with some very weak hands with which you are happy to play in a 2-1 fit as long as you aren't doubled. Bid 2 with diamonds and a major, and 2 with both majors. Now if they double you bid the next suit. Most prefer to redouble instead of bidding the next suit but I think that is inferior as it gives opps more time.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-21, 03:02

We play that redouble is business and 2X shows a suit and is to play. Pass is almost forcing, asking opener to bid a 5 card suit, redouble or pass if it seems profitable. After opener's redouble responder will bid her lowest 4 card suit.

A popular defence in Sweden is "Nilslands slinkningar". http://www.bridgeguy...DefenseNTX.html

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-June-21, 03:39

Every 2 months there's someone asking about this. Search the forum first for crying out loud!
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-June-21, 04:25

As Free writes, this topic has come up many times before. My personal preference is for Spelvic with a small modification of my own. Initial bids show spades and both Pass and Redouble are puppets:

1NT - (X)
==
P forces XX. Then P = to play; 2 = clubs and a red suit; 2 = red suits; 2 = majors with longer hearts; others = GF 2-suiters that do not want to play 1NTXX
XX forces 2 and is always 1-suited. Then P and 2 are to play; others = GF 1-suiters that do not want to play 1NTXX
2 = clubs and spades
2 = diamonds and spades
2 = majors with hearts not longer than spades
2 = natural and can accept a raise (else XX)
2NT = minors, at least 5-5
3X = preemptive

The small modification is what happens with 4333 hands. Here you treat the hand as having a club more than it does and, if they double 2, redouble. That is

4333 - bid 2 (clubs and spades)
4333 - pass and bid 2 over the XX (clubs and a red suit)
4333 - same as 4333
4333 - XX and pass 2 (club 1-suiter)

Obviously you also need to include these possibilities in the explanations of the initial calls when asked.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-June-21, 05:58

David Stevenson's web-site has a selection of Wriggles, when 1N is doubled. Here is another one:

JANET (Just Another Notrump Escape Technique)

After 1N (_X) ?? Responder bids...
  • _P = Nat. (Opener normally passes but can redouble with a 5 card suit).
  • XX = Art. Any two suits. (Opener bids 2 unless he has 5 of another suit).
  • 2B = Nat. 5+ suit. (usually) OR 5+ of the transfer suit (revealed only if ops double and you redouble. This potential "transfer" is alertable and is only effective with quite weak hands).
After 1N (_X) XX (_P); 2 (_X) ?? Responder bids...
  • _P = Nat. and another.
  • XX = Art. Red suits..
  • 2 = Nat. Pointy suits.
  • 2 = Nat. Major suits.
After 1N (_X) XX (_P); 2 (_X) _P (_P); ?? Opener bids...
  • _P = Nat. 3+ . Otherwise, opener must have two suits, which he shows as above, i.e.
  • XX = Red.
  • 2 = Pointy.
  • 2 = Major.
Sometimes passing out 1NX is the least evil :( it may even struggle home :)
Otherwise, this rescue-method rapidly retreats into an 8-card fit if possible and into a major if possible (harder for opponents to double).
A drawback of this method is that you need opponents to double 2 before you can show the red suits unambiguously.

#9 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-21, 11:40

I play a 10-13 nt in most seats, and any method that makes it difficult for us to stay in 1ntx is crazy, in my opinion. Frequently it's our best spot, and even when it's a bad spot, other spots might be worse (won many many imps staying in 1ntx while the other table ran, playing 2somethingX for another 300), or RHO might be about to bid. Anything that takes pressure off RHO when we suspect it's their hand is misguided, in my opinion.

I strongly believe if you aren't interested in playing in 1ntx with some regularity, you oughtn't play a wk NT. I realize the OP was asking about a medium NT, though. Not sure the math would be much different.

Brian Zaugg
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#10 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-June-24, 07:40

View PostKungsgeten, on 2013-June-21, 03:02, said:

We play that redouble is business and 2X shows a suit and is to play. Pass is almost forcing, asking opener to bid a 5 card suit, redouble or pass if it seems profitable. After opener's redouble responder will bid her lowest 4 card suit.

A popular defence in Sweden is "Nilslands slinkningar". http://www.bridgeguy...DefenseNTX.html

we play this, and it works reasonably well, the only downside being, all bids say something, and you cant play
1NTx ..., but the methods finds your 44 fit, if you have one.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users