• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Orient Bidding system How one can open 1N with void or voids

#1 User is offline   mojila 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-June-09, 18:49

Hi,
Yesterday I came across Orient Bidding system on Brigeguy.com. Though very interesting How one can open 1 Notrum with single,dbl or three voids
(20+ Points suggested 1N opening). Does anybody has Exposure with playing this system.

mojila

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-09, 19:13

I have my doubts about whether this is a playable system. If you are interested in artificial 1NT openings, try Romex.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-09, 23:40

The information on Bridgeguys about this Orient system does not fill me with confidence. There are, OTOH, several books on Romex which lay out the system pretty well - including the Dynamic NT (19-20 balanced, six controls or (18)19-21 unbalanced, 5+ controls, 4-5 losers). The sequence 1x-1y-1NT then shows 12-16 HCP. Two Way Checkback (2C with invitational hands, 2D with GF hands) allows opener to refine his point range (12-14 or 15-16) and show 3 card support for responder's major or 4 cards in the other major. Note: 2C is an asking bid; it is not a relay to 2D. That's a different "Two Way Checkback". :-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-June-10, 03:37

One could make the same observation about Standard - how can someone open 2 without any clubs? Strong artificial openings are just that - they show strength and do not say anything about the denomination being named.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   mojila 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-June-11, 15:40

Main concept is in system .... Bases for that system... I just read and Article mentions regarding usability and sustainibilty.
"how can you open without any club argument is same as How can you open 1!D or 1!C with 2 cards .. "
The above quote is depends on what system you are using. Articles conclusion Bridge authority .. that surprised and asked here

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-June-11, 16:43

View Postmojila, on 2013-June-09, 18:49, said:

Hi, Yesterday I came across Orient Bidding system on Brigeguy.com. Though very interesting How one can open 1 Notrum with single,dbl or three voids (20+ Points suggested 1N opening). Does anybody has Exposure with playing this system.
I've played simple systems where 1N (any shape) is the strong bid. e.g.
  • 1 = or 12-14 flat or 18-19 flat.
  • 1 = or 15-17 flat or 20-21 flat.
  • 1/1 = Nat 5+ cards.
  • 1N = Art 22+ HCP flat or game-force.
  • 2/2/2/2 = Nat weak.
You soon miss a natural non-forcing limited 1N opener, a frequent and effective bid :(

#7 User is offline   guido 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-June-11, 16:50

View Postmojila, on 2013-June-09, 18:49, said:

Hi,
Yesterday I came across Orient Bidding system on Brigeguy.com. Though very interesting How one can open 1 Notrum with single,dbl or three voids
(20+ Points suggested 1N opening). Does anybody has Exposure with playing this system.

mojila

There is nothing new about using 1NT as a strong artificial opening. The Vienna System was used by the players who wont eh first world championship (in 1937 if I recall correctly). 1NT was strong, artificial but less than a game force (2 of a suit openings were natural, game forcing and asking bids).

Arno (aka Little Roman) used 1NT as it's only strong opening. It was used by one pair who won quite a few World Championships in the 60s

As mentioned, Romex uses 1NT as an artificial intermediate hand (too strong for 1 of a suit; too weak for a game force.

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-11, 18:57

View Postguido, on 2013-June-11, 16:50, said:

As mentioned, Romex uses 1NT as an artificial intermediate hand (too strong for 1 of a suit; too weak for a game force.

Rosenkranz, in one of his books, described the Dynamic NT as showing (unbalanced) hands that in SA or 2/1 would open at the one level and then reverse or jump shift. As does Precision, Romex treats reverses and jump shifts by opener as shape showing, albeit maximum in points for the one level opening (in Romex, this is 17-18, compared to 14-15 in Precision).
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   mojila 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-June-12, 00:38

Though I will have to read paper again ...
- Points showing artificial limit suit opening bids (any shape)
- 1N Any distribution not necessarily balanced
- Combined strength count mandatory for playable contract arrival
- Single yardstick to evaluate hand (both balanced an unbalanced hands)- evaluate hand after each bid.

Respond-er knows required points for game-slam zone- or partial immediately... and is also responsible for placing playable contract.

#10 User is offline   mojila 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-June-12, 16:54

can Both partners HCP combined fulfill slam or GS ..
we all know it has short comings..
Which system has one yardstick to evaluate worth of hand..

#11 User is offline   mojila 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-June-12, 16:54

There is nothing new about using 1NT as a strong artificial opening. The Vienna System was used by the players who wont eh first world championship (in 1937 if I recall correctly). 1NT was strong, artificial but less than a game force (2 of a suit openings were natural, game forcing and asking bids).

Arno (aka Little Roman) used 1NT as it's only strong opening. It was used by one pair who won quite a few World Championships in the 60s

#12 User is offline   mojila 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-June-12, 16:57

It is not regarding 1N forcing opening.. but very first opening... Partner knows your (points+ distribution)
Many system has incorporated artificial bids.

#13 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-12, 18:05

Sounds awesome.

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-June-12, 22:09

View Postmojila, on 2013-June-12, 16:57, said:

It is not regarding 1N forcing opening.. but very first opening... Partner knows your (points+ distribution)
Many system has incorporated artificial bids.

The problem with systems like this is that partner does not know anything about your distribution. That is why these points-based opening systems are so bad; it is vital to exchange shape information as early as possible in the auction. And if the opponents preempt, you may never find out anything about partner's shape.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-12, 23:09

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-June-10, 03:37, said:

One could make the same observation about Standard - how can someone open 2 without any clubs? Strong artificial openings are just that - they show strength and do not say anything about the denomination being named.

The key difference, is that generally 2 isn't a contract you actually want to play, whereas 1N frequently is, and 1N actually has a fairly serious pre-emptive effect, even if it isn't normally thought of in those terms, so 1a-1b-1N auction may leave you much worse off than those opening 1N.

#16 User is offline   mojila 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-June-13, 06:14

Combined strength count is the brain of the Orient Bidding System. In association with artificial limit opening
bids and formula style of bidding, it provides a unique opportunity for precise and targeted bidding by
transforming the complex art of bidding into a simple scientific process. It eliminates the age-old controversy as
to what should and should not have been the correct bid thereby fostering greater partnership harmony.

Reason For Combined strength count is....

- The playable contract level is directly related to the combined strength holding. Bidding without the
knowledge of combined strength count is like sailing on a dark night without the North Star or a lighthouse to
serve as direction giving guide.

Combined Strength Count

- Knowledge of first round combined strength count allows a partnership to assess in the very first round of
bidding whether there is a part score, game or a slam.

- Combined strength count enables a partnership to know when to, and when not to apply the brakes.

- Combined strength count places a partnership in a commanding position with powers to dictate their own
terms. If you know the combined strength then the opponents can neither steal a contract from you nor can they
push you overboard. You know exactly where you stand, what you have to do and what you are capable of
doing.

The Orient Bidding System’s opening bids are artificial and point showing with a very narrow margin. Once
the opener shows the full strength of the hand through the opening bid, the responder counts his/her high card
points and adds to the minimum points shown by the opening bid. The total, baring extra values (one singleton/
void), shows the full strength of the combined hands. The responder then takes a decision as regards the
approximate playable level on the basis of the Combined Strength Scale.

I put this from bridgeguy site where I read above Paragraphs. One bid showing Openers Total points (any Distribution)
Responder is deciding contract level.

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-June-13, 08:48

If you like the system so much, play it. With a bit of luck it will catch on and all of my opponents will start playing it.

#18 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-13, 10:41

That approach might have worked 50 years ago. These days those pesky opponents have learned how to overcall a strong opening.

#19 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-13, 12:41

WHY IS NOBODY LISTENING TO HIM?

#20 User is offline   mojila 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-May-11, 04:58

Hi Vampyre,

Author had given test to this system was in England Clubs. Also whether 50 years ago or now, I would say every system evolved and vanished or improved version
came in what is mentioned in encyclopedia.

Those who say First bid shows only points are wrong. Opening bid is working points+Distribution e.g. 1!S says have total points barring (shortness)18-19
suite will be told later. Responding partner on that knowledge answers Positive if 25-25 condition to fit. if has 7-8 points. if not 25-26 gives negative
response.

I play 2/1 and sayc there is nothing wrong exploring advantageous system. Like Big Bang

mojila

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users