• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

flannery 10-14pts with 9 pts 2/1 ACBL

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-May-31, 07:14

alerted as flannery

Is this legal? Partnership consistently is off by a pt or so on bids.

Director says 1 pt short is OK

ACBL General Convention Chart on opening bids #6 says 10pts minimun

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-May-31, 07:23

View Postdickiegera, on 2013-May-31, 07:14, said:

alerted as flannery

Is this legal? Partnership consistently is off by a pt or so on bids.

Director says 1 pt short is OK

I think that an isolated incident is legal, however, in a perfect world I'd want to be able to see a large corpus of hands where the partnership did / did not open a Flannery 2.

FWIW, the 5-5 shape gives me much greater pause than the 9 HCP hand (even when three of these are a stiff King)
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-31, 07:51

In the EBU players whose cards are marked eg 14-16 1NT open most 13s. It is a problem.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-31, 07:54

View PostVampyr, on 2013-May-31, 07:51, said:

In the EBU players whose cards are marked eg 14-16 1NT open most 12s. It is a problem.

? My card is marked 14-16 for 1NT, and I open most 12s. I also open a significant majority of 11s. Why is this a problem?
(I don't open them 1NT, of course.....)

#5 User is offline   chrism 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-May-31, 07:56

This is not quite a psych, though it doesn't feel close even to a 9-count in HCP to me, so is not covered by the general ACBL ban on psyching artificial opening bids (General Convention Chart, DISALLOWED, clause 2) or the mid-Chart prohibition on psyching conventional agreements that may shower fewer than 10 HCP (Mid-Chart, DISALLOWED, clause 7).

However, if the pair is frequently "off by a point" in this and other agreements, then they need to fix their CC to reflect their real agreements, or face serious disciplinary consequences for deliberately having Concealed Partnership Understandings. And if their agreements on Flannery embrace normally choosing to open the example hand with 2D, then they are playing a convention that is not legal in ACBL GCC events. Someone should have a serious word with this partnership before they get themselves into trouble.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-May-31, 07:58

Mycroft dealed with this specific issue back in February as part of the worst agreement thread.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-May-31, 08:03

View PostWellSpyder, on 2013-May-31, 07:54, said:

? My card is marked 14-16 for 1NT, and I open most 12s. I also open a significant majority of 11s. Why is this a problem?
(I don't open them 1NT, of course.....)

LOL I meant 13, corrected.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-May-31, 08:12

There are two issues involved here. One: Is there a concealed partnership agreement? and Two: Is there a psyche?

We can dispose of the second one quickly. Given that the classic definition of a psyche is a deliberate and gross misrepresentation of values and/or distribution, opening Flannery 10-14 HCP on a 5-5 9 HCP hand is not a psyche. It is one HCP off and one card off. Hardly a gross misrepresentation.

The concealed partnership agreement is a much thornier issue. The partnership is announcing that its agreement is that the 2 opening shows 4 spades, 5 hearts and 10-14 HCP. The hand is 5-5 with 9 HCP, and a very flawed 9 HCP at that. This, in and of itself, is not a problem if it is a once every 100 occurances deviation. Even the fact that partner may be aware that there have been very rare past deviations is not a real problem, as partner will be expecting full values for the bid. But if there is a history of frequent deviation from the agreed upon parameters of the bid, then there is a serious problem. Now partner knows more about the opening bid than is being disclosed to the opponents. All of the usual remedies for concealed partnership agreements should be utilized to prevent this from happening again. In my opinion, aside from any other disciplinary penalties, the best remedy would be to forbid this partnership from playing the convention FOREVER. If they cannot play it properly with full disclosure, they should not be allowed to play it at all.

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-May-31, 08:25

You cannot deal with the psyche issue so quickly Art. If you open a 10-12 1NT with AJT9/ AT98/ T98/ T9, this is also only a small deviation but will 100% be classified as a psyche from everything I have read about the ACBL. As has been pointed out in many other threads here, the question is whether the same red line is used for other "at least 10hcp" calls.

#10 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-May-31, 08:27

View PostArtK78, on 2013-May-31, 08:12, said:

The concealed partnership agreement is a much thornier issue. The partnership is announcing that its agreement is that the 2 opening shows 4 spades, 5 hearts and 10-14 HCP. The hand is 5-5 with 9 HCP, and a very flawed 9 HCP at that. This, in and of itself, is not a problem if it is a once every 100 occurances deviation.

For me, the real issue is the following:

1. The Flannery 2D opening is a tool designed to address a specific type of problem hand
2. Holding a 5-5 pattern with both majors, there's no good reason not to open 1S and rebid in Hearts
3. With this specific hand, there sure as hell isn't any kind of suit quality argument to be made

As I said before, I'd really like to see a large corpus of hands to determine whether the pair in question is lying about their agreements as a way to play an illegal convention. If this option isn't available to me, I'd like to understand why the decision was made to open this 2D rather than 1S.
Alderaan delenda est

#11 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-31, 08:36

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-May-31, 08:25, said:

You cannot deal with the psyche issue so quickly Art. If you open a 10-12 1NT with AJT9/ AT98/ T98/ T9, this is also only a small deviation but will 100% be classified as a psyche from everything I have read about the ACBL. As has been pointed out in many other threads here, the question is whether the same red line is used for other "at least 10hcp" calls.

That's more of a "ACBL is Dumb/stuck in the 1950s/would ban mini-NT if they could" thing though.

#12 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2013-May-31, 08:39

Mini-1NT openings are a specific exception established by the ACBL. TylerE phrased it differently that I am phrasing it. Absent any specific rule to the contrary, one is forced to rely on the standard definition of what constitutes a psyche.

Of course, if it is considered a psyche, it is perfectly legal.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-May-31, 08:44

View PostArtK78, on 2013-May-31, 08:39, said:

Of course, if it is considered a psyche, it is perfectly legal.

If it were classified as a psyche then it would be illegal, since it is an artificial opening.

Edit: or did you mean the 1NT opening? I am fairly confident from BBF posts that the ACBL have disallowed getting round the 10 point limit by calling it a psyche.

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-31, 08:45

I wonder what would happen if I tell ACBL that I count a ten in a suit with another honor as half a point.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#15 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-May-31, 08:46

IMO, system-restrictions should be dropped but, while we still have them, they should be enforced. Otherwise regulations confer an unfair advantage on those players who are ignorant of them or who flout them deliberately. Discussion of "psychs" is a red-herring. If the rules specify an HCP requirement and don't explicitly mention judgement, then even a one-point deviation should be penalized. Also, hands suitable for some of these bids are rare, so it is nearly impossible to establish a history of deviation. Hence "psych" should not be allowed as justification. Those are just my opinions but this topic so often causes controversy that, if rule-makers must keep their daft rules, the least they should do, is clarify them.

#16 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-May-31, 08:56

View Postbillw55, on 2013-May-31, 08:45, said:

I wonder what would happen if I tell ACBL that I count a ten in a suit with another honor as half a point.

They'd probably say "too bad", because their rule is based on standard Work points. They've specifically prohibited using personal judgement to upgrade mini-NT hands.

If the point of this rule is that opponents should be able to judge what kind of hand you have (and thus infer what their partner may have during the defense), and they don't know about your 10=.5 style, the rule makes some sense. What's harder to understand is why they've implemented it only for mini-NT, not more generally. Probably because mini-NT is a relatively difficult opening to defend against to begin with, they don't want to allow it any additional leeway.

#17 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2013-May-31, 09:02

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-May-31, 08:44, said:

If it were classified as a psyche then it would be illegal, since it is an artificial opening.

Yes, I stand corrected on that point.

#18 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2013-May-31, 09:02

View Postnige1, on 2013-May-31, 08:46, said:

Discussion of "psychs" is a red-herring. If the rules specify an HCP requirement and don't explicitly mention judgement, then even a one-point deviation should be penalized.

I agree that a one-point deviation is a deviation (as long as there are no plausible reasons for upgrading) for the purpose of MI rulings and for the purpose of the legality of (implicit) agreement to open 9-counts where the legal minimum is 10.

But as for the ban on psyching conventional openings, it is a different story. A psyche is per definition a gross deviation.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#19 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-May-31, 09:12

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-May-31, 09:02, said:

I agree that a one-point deviation is a deviation

It would be a deviation if not for this part of the OP:-

View Postdickiegera, on 2013-May-31, 07:14, said:

Partnership consistently is off by a pt or so on bids.

That makes it a CPU. The ACBL section on deviations is (surprisingly) very clear about this part.

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-May-31, 09:44

It's not classified as a psych, it's classified as an illegal agreement.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users