Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dealing with HUMs

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-24, 04:40

Tonight I will have to play against a HUM, 0-7 Fert, 8-12 1M, with 0-2 that M or 5+ that M. Pass = 13+, 1C = 8-12 other. Any suggestions please for a defence? They will provide one, but I would prefer not to rely on that.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 05:33

If this is Suspensor, then an online write-up of one possible defence can be found here.

Simplest would be to treat their 1 opening as a normal nebulous limited opening, akin to a Precision 1 opening. Over their 1M openings, I suspect an optimal strategy might be to use either/or doubles but that is also risky, especially when going up against a system like this for the first time. A very simple defence to the 1 fert would be to treat double as an opening bid in a minor and "overcall" 1M/1NT as if opening. The 2m overcalls should probably be used for something like minor 1-suiters with minimum opening strength to take the load off double, and higher bids can show a big hand.

Obviously, whatever the rest of the defence looks like you want to be bidding over their pass very freely and in overcall mode. These auctions will be difficult for them and you need to show a plus here.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 06:33

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-April-24, 05:33, said:

If this is Suspensor, then an online write-up of one possible defence can be found here.

Simplest would be to treat their 1 opening as a normal nebulous limited opening, akin to a Precision 1 opening. Over their 1M openings, I suspect an optimal strategy might be to use either/or doubles but that is also risky, especially when going up against a system like this for the first time. A very simple defence to the 1 fert would be to treat double as an opening bid in a minor and "overcall" 1M/1NT as if opening. The 2m overcalls should probably be used for something like minor 1-suiters with minimum opening strength to take the load off double, and higher bids can show a big hand.

Obviously, whatever the rest of the defence looks like you want to be bidding over their pass very freely and in overcall mode. These auctions will be difficult for them and you need to show a plus here.

Thanks Zel. I did meet it before once, but we just played a simple defence then.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 08:40

The day of the match is too late to be devising defences, so I think you should play whatever the opponents suggest.

However, if you want suggestions:
- Against pass: 1 = loose takeout double; everything else = a normal overcall. That mans you don't have a Michaels cue-bid.
- Against 1, 1 and 1: Double = balanced opening+; 1x = natural opening; 1NT and higher = transfer.

After
(pass) 1x (pass)
you have no cue-bid, so it might be a good idea to play 2 or 1NT as a high-card raise, or play transfers from 1NT upwards.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users