• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-April-21, 07:36

Dealer: North, Vul: E/W

#2 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-21, 09:19

Removed post..... missed that North's club suit is only 5 cards ( not 6 ) .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#3 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-21, 10:41

Don, did you notice the forum and that "10" is one card?

1 - (1) - 1 - (p)
2 (no need for stopperless NT, the suit is good enough) - (p) - 2* - (p)
2 - (p) - 3NT

Or:
1 - (2) - 2 - (p)
3 - (p) - 3* - (p)
3 - (p) - 3NT

* Note the cue bids have different meanings. In the first case N denies three card support because S might have only 4 . In the second N just denies a stopper. In both cases S would prefer N play NT because his stopper is not positional.

#4 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-21, 12:48

1-(1)-1
2-2
2-2
3-4

#5 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-22, 01:50

If you reached 3NT and received a diamond lead, going down in the process,
the only reaction would be "Next Board".

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#6 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-22, 05:37

A variation on the above :
1 (1) 1 p
2 p 2 p
2 p 3* p
3 p 4

3 played as not natural, but a general forcing bid. Opener has to bid something, and spades is the best option.

#7 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2013-April-22, 06:21

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2013-April-22, 01:50, said:

If you reached 3NT and received a diamond lead, going down in the process,
the only reaction would be "Next Board".

With kind regards
Marlowe

Perhaps I am missing something but if you reach 3NT what does RHO pitch on 4?

#8 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-22, 08:36

Thank you for all the answers. 3NT makes with any defense if I see it correctly.

This bidding is easiest for me to understand. What if East rebid his Diamonds on the second round of bidding?

View PostAntrax, on 2013-April-21, 10:41, said:

Don, did you notice the forum and that "10" is one card?

1 - (1) - 1 - (p)
2 (no need for stopperless NT, the suit is good enough) - (p) - 2* - (p)
2 - (p) - 3NT

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-April-22, 09:24

There is a lot more to this hand than the posts so far have picked up on.

Consider the defence to 3N on a diamond lead.

Say it is low to the K, and declarer ducks. E now returns the suit and W has to unblock the Q. That should be simple but can be overlooked by a defender who is not paying attention.

Declarer plays a spade to the K. A good W will play the 9 on this trick. He can see that partner will be short, and will be having to make discards on the run of the suit, and he wants partner to know immediately that declarer has no losers in spades. Compare partner's decisions if West held 109xxx rather than 987xx. If you insist that W give count on the first trick, then make him play the 9 on the 2nd trick. Count should be unnecessary: S would have bid 4 with a 6 card suit and only one diamond stopper.

Now the spotlight turns to East. He can count 5 spades, the heart A (declarer has to have that card), the diamond A for 7 tricks. The only possible source of the 9th trick will be in clubs.

At the same time he knows that he can't pitch 3 hearts, since declarer can safely cash the heart A before committing to clubs, and he can't pitch more than one diamond, else he'll not have enough tricks to beat 3N once he wins the club K.

The only hope is that he can win the stiff club K.

Now, when we are given all 4 hands, we 'know' that stiffing our club K is giving away overtricks.

But in the real world, unless we have telegraphed the possession of the club K, it is usually safe to stiff it, especially if done earlier than necessary. Assuming we have bid just the once, or even if we bid 2 over 2 (why we'd do that is a mystery to me), why would declarer assume that we have x KQ10x KJ109xx Kx rather than x KQ10x KJ109xx xx?

It is important to understand that neither defenders nor declarers play double dummy. This is an important limitation on double dummy analsyis, btw. Feed this into GIB, and 3N never goes down. At the table, an expert E will go plus a significant percentage of the time.

When defending or declaring, try to picture the problems from your opponent's point of view. You know that he is odds-on to hook the club, so long as he doesn't 'know' that you hold that card. If he is going to hook, what is the cost of stiffing the K?

My suggestion would be to pitch an encouraging heart, then a club, then a heart, then a diamond.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-April-22, 13:23

View Postneilkaz, on 2013-April-22, 06:21, said:

Perhaps I am missing something but if you reach 3NT what does RHO pitch on 4?

I did not look to closely into the play, just looked at possible simple
auctions which all lead to 3NT.
And since reaching 3NT seemed normal, even going down would just would have
meant, normal contract, next board, if it makes ... even better, the normal
contract makes.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 04:43

Why are we all assuming that East, who overcalled 1, will pass over 2 with no wasted 12 hcp, awesome spots, a very likely working Kx and 6-4 hand ?

I have a feeling that if we saw West has something like JTxx Jxxxx Ax xx, we would come up with more suitable bid than pass by East. :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 05:48

Timo, the OP asked about what happens when E bids 2 on his second turn.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-April-24, 14:55

View PostAntrax, on 2013-April-24, 05:48, said:

Timo, the OP asked about what happens when E bids 2 on his second turn.

I saw that, but everyone else seemed to ignore this fact in their prefered auctions. This was surprise to me.

Obviously responder (south) will not be able to cue at 2 level if East bids 2 . Simple 2 by East will waste entire 2 level for NS (Imo south will be forced to cue at 3 level) After this the actions of North are debatable.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 21:00

I ignored it because I don't know :P

#15 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-27, 20:12

View PostAntrax, on 2013-April-24, 21:00, said:

I ignored it because I don't know :P

Is there anyone who knows please?

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-April-28, 02:51

View Postbarsikb, on 2013-April-27, 20:12, said:

Is there anyone who knows please?

If E bids 2, imo S should cue (3) to make sure pd knows we are not going to stop before game.

Afetr that N may bid 3 or 3, it all depends on NS agreement about what would 2 by South be over 2, forcing or not ? If 2 would be forcing, then North now knows south can not have 4 card therefore he has an easy bid of 3 which will end up playing 4. However if North chooses 3 they are likely gonna end up playing 3NT, after all south has to bid 3NT at some point with Ax .

#17 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-28, 03:14

Shouldn't 3 show three cards here, assuming OP plays the standard 1M = 4+, X = both majors 4+ after 1-(1)?

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-April-28, 05:10

View PostAntrax, on 2013-April-28, 03:14, said:

Shouldn't 3 show three cards here, assuming OP plays the standard 1M = 4+, X = both majors 4+ after 1-(1)?

This is true in theory but w/o stopper and Kx he can bid 3. Responder probably looking for 3 card spade or Hx spade, or stopper.

It all depends, what would south bid over 1 and then 2 with 5 + 4 8 hcp and 14 hcp ?

#19 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-28, 07:04

3 probably?

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-April-28, 21:22

View PostAntrax, on 2013-April-28, 07:04, said:

3 probably?

Then N has an easy 3 bid since his pd can not have 4 card (over 3 cue)

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users