BBO Discussion Forums: You know its a psych, but how do you expose it? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

You know its a psych, but how do you expose it?

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-March-28, 15:28

E-W are a worldclass pair known for psyching frequently. How do you handle this?
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-28, 15:33

Double then bid spades. Easy rule: When it goes (preempt) pass/double (new suit), doubling or bidding shows the same as if responder has raised the preempt instead. So double here is just takeout of hearts (or 3 would be natural), and you double followed by bidding a suit to show a good hand. I have yet to regret having this rule on a single hand ever. It also makes psyching by them a big losing strategy, since all he has done by bidding 2 rather than 3 is given you more available bids without taking away a single bid from you.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-March-28, 15:40

Agree that the double shows a takeout double of hearts, and pass by partner is certainly a strong possibility.

My first thought was that this should just be for penalty, but takeout of hearts is a better definition.

#4 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2013-March-28, 15:35

View PostCSGibson, on 2013-March-28, 15:28, said:

E-W are a worldclass pair known for psyching frequently. How do you handle this?

Several options

1. Play 3 and 4 as natural but you are probably unsuitable for both of those actions here.

2. Pass and bid on the next round

3. 3NT or double and bid NTs

4. Double to show the bid suit when they bid a new suit over their preempt.

5. If they psyche on this auction frequently then a description of natural and forcing seems inadequate to me so I would get the director involved
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#5 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-29, 07:57

Double then bid spades. Easy rule: When it goes (preempt) pass/double (new suit), doubling or bidding shows the same as if responder has raised the preempt instead. So double here is just takeout of hearts (or 3 would be natural), and you double followed by bidding a suit to show a good hand. I have yet to regret having this rule on a single hand ever. It also makes psyching by them a big losing strategy, since all he has done by bidding 2 rather than 3 is given you more available bids without taking away a single bid from you. - lalldonn

*** Still have the problem: I have a good 5+S suit AND a good hand.
As I play X, then Q-bid 3S still isn't natural. They may have stolen
our 4S contract, now misbid into 3NT. OR maybe 6xS with RHO's 2S
keeps us out of a terrible misfit.
*** That's the intent of preempts, psyches, and many other "hope
to trouble opponents" bids. Will they (1) misbid, (2) underbid,
(3) overbid, or (4) strain their brains to exhaustion trying to counter?

#6 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-March-29, 08:11

*** Still have the problem: I have a good 5+S suit AND a good hand.
As I play X, then Q-bid 3S still isn't natural. They may have stolen
our 4S contract, now misbid into 3NT. OR maybe 6xS with RHO's 2S
keeps us out of a terrible misfit.

Don't play x then cue-bid of 3S as 'not natural'. Double is take-out of hearts. If you need a cue bid, bid hearts next round. YOu don't need two cue-bids.

#7 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-29, 11:45

View Postlalldonn, on 2013-March-28, 15:33, said:

Easy rule: When it goes (preempt) pass/double (new suit), doubling or bidding shows the same as if responder has raised the preempt instead. So double here is just takeout of hearts (or 3 would be natural), and you double followed by bidding a suit to show a good hand.

This is my preferred method as well. (Which might matter to Chris since I was playing with him. :))

#8 User is offline   lmilne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-29, 22:38

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2013-March-29, 08:11, said:

Don't play x then cue-bid of 3S as 'not natural'. Double is take-out of hearts. If you need a cue bid, bid hearts next round. YOu don't need two cue-bids.

The danger is that someone will bid 3, back to you. This is where I've seen psyches succeed, when one partner thinks that 3 must be artificial (as it is the only cue-bid available at the 3-level) and the other one think it's natural, presumably because they're staring at six spades in their hand. As you say, 3 must be natural, and the hands that would cue-bid 3 simply double again.

#9 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-30, 20:54

I think I still like double as penalty. 2H-2S may be a special case because it's so low, but we play that double is penalty for other change of suits as well and it's nice to keep the same meaning...

2H-3D
2S-3H
3C-3S

The trouble with double as takeout of opener's suit is that you really have to have a hand to do this...because sometimes they really aren't psyching and we don't have a fit. Double as penalty is safer than a 3-suit takeout and lets me enter the auction when they are trying to steal our suit but I may not have the values or suit to overcall.

On the hand in question, Chris knows that RHO can't have the values for a 2S call, but at other times it may not be so clear. Let's say I have AQJxx Ax xxx xxx. I don't want to overcall 3S here and I don't want to pass. If I pass it may go 2H-2S, 3H-P and now what? Was RHO psyching or not?

OTOH, if I have a takeout of hearts I think I have more options. I can pass and let them get into trouble and double them if they land somewhere other than hearts. If they stop in 3H I think double would be takeout.

I'd like to ask the group what the "standard" meaning of cue bidding preemptor's suit. 2H-2S (3H) shows what? I would think a very strong takeout of hearts but I've never seen this discussed.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users