Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

building a bridge screen

#1 User is offline   mgiurgeu 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-March-31, 12:57

Does anyone have any resources of how to build a bridge screen? Having never played with them, I'm thinking about building one and practicing with my teammates in preparation for the Nationals. Any help would be highly appreciated. tx,

#2 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-31, 14:01

Hi, do you mean the deal source settings?

To limit hands to only 17+ points or whatever?
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-March-31, 14:30

I think he's talking about this:

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2013-March-31, 14:49

View Postmgiurgeu, on 2013-March-31, 12:57, said:

Does anyone have any resources of how to build a bridge screen? Having never played with them, I'm thinking about building one and practicing with my teammates in preparation for the Nationals. Any help would be highly appreciated. tx,

I made one very cheaply from a large cardboard box - I think a refrigerator box.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#5 User is offline   mgiurgeu 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-March-31, 19:16

yes, I mean the physical one (that separates the partners in high level competition)

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-01, 10:44

Our district has "cheap screens" made out of blue corrugated plastic. The big thing is the hinge/slide/whatever you use for the flap (I believe we had rails and the flap slid up them, and was locked up with a pin through the rail). I wish we used them more often.

Make sure that the edges go off the table a fair bit (20+cm); right on the edge "bleeds" information. The overlap also allows you to attach something you can clamp to the table.

Pipes to the floor, that can sit in a base (15cm square wood with a dowelhole), and can slide into loops in the screen, make it stand up sanely, and allow quick disassembly and ability to move.

Remember you need to build the tray as well - the sizes are pretty much fixed by the size of the board and bidding cards. Having said that, our district uses more of the blue corrugated plastic; a rectangle big enough for cards, with a hole cut in it for the board. Not as stable as the "real" trays, but it works.

I'm guessing a fridge box will give you more than enough cardboard for one of these, as long as the side is big enough for the main panel (I wouldn't feel too comfortable with a main panel that had a crease in it). If it has those lovely cardboard corner braces, they'll do for the rest of the structure (although using them for the pipes would be a little OTT, but it would work; would solve the "how to brace the pipe" bit too).

Note that when I was in grad school, we built a 20' bar you could serve drinks from and sit on from just those fridge boxes; the corner braces are *sturdy*.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#7 User is offline   mgiurgeu 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-April-01, 10:48

thanks a lot for all the suggestions, they're very helpful

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users