• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-22, 08:23

9 tricks claimed

Board 21 of Segment 2.

West: Helgemo; North: Auken; East: Helness; South: Welland

BBO Vugraph Operator Comments:

End of Trick 1:
"Auken asking questions about the auction - whether 2(assume intended to type 3) would often have 4 spades, I think and I think that Helness says that it wouldn't, he'd bid something else with both Majors, but not sure"

After the Trick 7 Claim:
"Helgemo & Helness discussing the auction"
"And now Welland has called the director"
"Sorry - Welland spoke VERY softly to the director, so I still don't know exactly what was said about 3 or what Helgemo & Helness are still discussing. I assume that Welland was told that they didn't have a spade fit"

As the auction on the next board was starting:
"I really don't know what they did or did not know - everything has been said in too low a voice to hear, or else in a language I don't know :)"
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-22, 08:31

I don't understand, what nine tricks were claimed?

edit: wow, really blind this morning. lol
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   spride 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-March-22, 08:43

Two hearts, three spades and 4 diamonds
TS provides the entry to dummy b/c declarer unblocked a high spade at trick one.

#4 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-22, 09:11

S asked if W would "often" have 4S, I think indicating the lnie of thinking. Suppose the correct answer is "not often, but could occasionally have 4 bad spades". Is that enough to change S's lead?

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-22, 12:43

north had 2 options to switch to clubs and used neither, I don't understand what this has to do with whatever south leads.

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-22, 12:56

View PostFluffy, on 2013-March-22, 12:43, said:

north had 2 options to switch to clubs and used neither, I don't understand what this has to do with whatever south leads.

The 10 cannot be an entry to the hearts given the explanation and play at trick 1 (?) but the 9 could be if you lead them.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-March-22, 18:42

5 lead is not consistent with 4 card lead unless they polay MUD and third against NT wich would be very rare, but this is perhaps an understandale mistake.

I don't see mch of a problem about the bidding, claiming something because both opponents decided to bypass spades when they could bid them and missed what in theory is the best cntrat with this shapes and combined strenght is not much of an argument. But I don't have the info from the explanations so there could be something wrong there

#8 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-22, 20:06

Isn't this thread pretty pointless? We neither know EW's agreement, nor do we know what NS had been told. If NS had been told that 3N denies 4S, whereas in fact it doesn't, then I suppose NS have a case. And we don't know the spot cards played by NS.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#9 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-March-23, 06:17

Reportedly (by Peg Kaplan, who was kibitzing) West told South 3NT implied no 4 and no 3.

#10 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-23, 07:02

http://www.acbl.org/...lletins/db9.pdf page 14

#11 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-23, 13:02

Interesting. Weighted scores are not permitted in the ABCL.

I don't consider it "likely" that South would have defended differently given the alternative explanation, but maybe it was "at all probable" that he would do so.

That would lead to the rare situation of a split score being assigned: 3NT= for the defence and 3NT-1 for declarer.

#12 User is offline   mamos 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-23, 14:56

View Postjallerton, on 2013-March-23, 13:02, said:

Interesting. Weighted scores are not permitted in the ABCL.

I don't consider it "likely" that South would have defended differently given the alternative explanation, but maybe it was "at all probable" that he would do so.

That would lead to the rare situation of a split score being assigned: 3NT= for the defence and 3NT-1 for declarer.

And that would have lead to a different result in the match

For those of us used to weighted scores this ruling seems truly bizarre. The AC seem to have rehearsed all the reasons for letting the score stand and then adjusted - as it happens I don't think it is even "at all probable" and I would have let the table result stand 100%

Is the Committee's advice that East "ought to have realized when he saw dummy that South had likely received inaccurate information. At that point, he could have and probably should have informed South of the actual agreement" good advice?

Mike

#13 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-23, 17:16

View Postjallerton, on 2013-March-23, 13:02, said:

To beat the contract North (who has received no MI) must also defend differently. Presumably she must do so on the basis of South playing the 10 of diamonds rather than the 6. It seems unlikely to me that this would have the desired effect: even if it does pursuade North not to continue diamonds (far from clear IMO) that is not enough; South himself thought that it would induce a spade switch, which leads to the table result.

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-March-23, 22:41

View Postmamos, on 2013-March-23, 14:56, said:

Is the Committee's advice that East "ought to have realized when he saw dummy that South had likely received inaccurate information. At that point, he could have and probably should have informed South of the actual agreement" good advice?

I'm no expert on rulings in the presence of screens, but my gut reaction is no, it's not. First, I don't believe that East should have realized anything of the sort - I think the committee made that up. Second, if the committee is going to assert that East "could have and probably should have" informed South of the actual agreement, they damn sure better back it up with a reference to the applicable law and/or regulation, my point being that without that reference, even if the committee thinks it's "obvious", the ruling is flawed, just as it would be if made by a director.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#15 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2013-March-23, 23:25

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-March-23, 22:41, said:

I'm no expert on rulings in the presence of screens, but my gut reaction is no, it's not. First, I don't believe that East should have realized anything of the sort - I think the committee made that up. Second, if the committee is going to assert that East "could have and probably should have" informed South of the actual agreement, they damn sure better back it up with a reference to the applicable law and/or regulation, my point being that without that reference, even if the committee thinks it's "obvious", the ruling is flawed, just as it would be if made by a director.

My impression is that usually the regulations state that there should be no communication across the screen until the play is complete. I am not familiar with US screen regulations though.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#16 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2013-March-23, 23:31

This is in the WBF regulations:

"At all times from the commencement of the Auction to the completion of play each player receives information only from his screenmate about the meanings of calls and explanations given. Questions during the play period should be in writing with the aperture closed. The screen is raised after the
response has been made.
"
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#17 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-24, 03:10

The ACBL (uniquely in the world as far as I'm aware) have included within their screen regulations:

After the final pass, players remove their bidding cards. At this point, the declaring side may exchange information about their own explanations.

I note, however, that this is a "may" requirement; so not doing it would not be an infraction under general principles.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#18 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-24, 03:55

View Postmrdct, on 2013-March-24, 03:10, said:

The ACBL (uniquely in the world as far as I'm aware) have included within their screen regulations:

The USBF rules say the same thing, so arguably it's not unique.

In the USBF, the regulations imply that all this takes place with the flap down, which must be a bit of a challenge:
The opening lead shall be made face-down. The declaring side may initiate a review of the alerts made by their side and may question their non-screen mate about the defender’s alerts. Opening leader's screen mate announces that the lead has been made, a defender raises the screen, and play proceeds.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#19 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-March-27, 20:46

Was this really the end of this discussion or have I missed another thread? I am very surprised that there is not a lot more discussion sourrounding this.

I was sent the following today,

NABC Appeals Committees
The 2013 Vanderbilt was marred by a 4 AM Appeals Committee decision that reversed the outcome of a match in the round of 16. Team Monaco was eliminated while Team Auken advanced to the round of 8 and ultimately went on to win the event.
Expert bridge players with far more ability than I have told me this ruling was one of the worst decisions ever made. ACBL TDs with far more knowledge of the Laws than I have concurred.
These situations, whatever side you may be on, are very bad for the game. This is not the first time a highly controversial ruling has affected the outcome, indeed the winner, of a major NABC Championship. But I hope it will be the last time.
Jonathan Steinberg

My initial, uneducated reaction was "this is bad for the game".
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-March-27, 21:26

View Postjillybean, on 2013-March-27, 20:46, said:

Expert bridge players with far more ability than I have told me this ruling was one of the worst decisions ever made. ACBL TDs with far more knowledge of the Laws than I have concurred.

Anyone want to compare it to the "oh, *****" ruling?

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users