• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Only me to blame? Bad result

#1 User is offline   bsm20 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-March-10, 20:10

Teams. I was sitting West. 5 Clubs Doubled was a very bad score. Partner felt I was totally to blame. Would 50 / 50 be more reasonable? Thanks for any comments.

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-10, 20:58

View Postbsm20, on 2013-March-10, 20:10, said:

Teams. I was sitting West. 5 Clubs Doubled was a very bad score. Partner felt I was totally to blame. Would 50 / 50 be more reasonable? Thanks for any comments.

Partner's double is the dumb bid.

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-10, 22:17

The double of 1S was fine. I would have doubled 4S as West responsively to show some stuff...second choice, pass. Whether 5C turned out good or bad, the responsibility must be on the person who bid it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-10, 22:41

I don't like partner's double (I would pass) or your 5 (I would double). Partner's double sure would have worked well after you had doubled, but that's more because the opponents bid really badly. Anyway I blame both of you about equally.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#5 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2013-March-11, 00:10

I hesitate to "blame" anybody. I understand the 2443 double. I certainly understand the 5C bid, expecting partner's face cards not to be in spades.

I point to the SAK in doubler's hand as the reason it was such a bad result, instead of being either a make or a paying sacrifice against a making 4S.

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-March-11, 02:09

I'd pass from E but it would not take me much to change to x (Ax KJxx xxxx Axx would be automatic for me). For West the correct call with (a suitable) 1345 is x, not 5C.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#7 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-March-11, 02:50

I think DBL is terrible personally - a crappy 4-4-3-2 11 count opposite a passed hand with 7 pts in the opps suit...

However for me 5 is equally awful it's the kind of hand where it doesnt look like making and it doesnt look like a good sac. Either DBL or pass for me ;)

Eagles123
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#8 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-11, 03:22

"Only me to blame?" is an interesting question. My point of view is that if I am to blame (whether fully or partially) I will take the blame. Whether other people will take their share of the blame is not my problem.

Having said that, I would not have doubled on the East hand with a passed partner, vul vs not at IMPs. And I wouldn't have bid 5 on the West hand.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-11, 03:39

I don't think West can pass, and if dbl would be understood as penalty it is not necesarilly more attractive than 5 although it is probably a better agreement that dbl shows something like West's hand. I don't believe that E should play W for a singleton spade, though, if W doubles.

E's double is really bad under these circumstances. I would consider doubling a 1st seat opening with that hand, but a 3rd seat opening ... argh. Especially at this vulnerability.

It is unusual that nobody can make 9 tricks when opps have a 10-card fit, and S's final double was really inspired. If the LOTT had held then 5 could have been the winning decision (EW 11 tricks, NS 7) although it would more often be wrong.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-March-11, 03:55

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-March-11, 03:39, said:

I don't think West can pass, and if dbl would be understood as penalty it is not necesarilly more attractive than 5 although it is probably a better agreement that dbl shows something like West's hand. I don't believe that E should play W for a singleton spade, though, if W doubles.

E's double is really bad under these circumstances. I would consider doubling a 1st seat opening with that hand, but a 3rd seat opening ... argh. Especially at this vulnerability.

It is unusual that nobody can make 9 tricks when opps have a 10-card fit, and S's final double was really inspired. If the LOTT had held then 5 could have been the winning decision (EW 11 tricks, NS 7) although it would more often be wrong.

The LOTT didn't hold in large part because of South's violation of it; Application of the Law is more than just counting one's trumps, and South has two subtractors in the rounded suits. His double was truly as "inspired" as his 4S bid was.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-11, 04:51

I consider East takeout DBL borderline but not insane. This might be the last chance for East West to compete in relative safety.
West 5 is insane. Was he really expecting to make 11 tricks? Give East the K and A instead of AK and 5 is still down on normal breaks.
When South triple raises West DBL does not show spades but some strength, nothing else. It is a good description of West hand.
South bidding was super aggressive, but understandable at these colors.

So yes, all blame goes to West in my opinion.

Rainer Herrmann

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-11, 06:57

double>4NT>5 not sure where I would put pass here, but the other 3 options are certainly on that order.

#13 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-March-11, 07:01

Yes the double is borderline- on the borderline to insanity with this hand and this vul.
I would double instead of bidding 5 , but this is a matter of partnership agreement- if this is pure penalty, I would bid 4 Nt, but 5 is not too bad.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#14 User is offline   abc234 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-March-11, 08:22

Joke double. Four points in the takeout suits, vulnerable and partner has passed. Enough said.

#15 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-11, 08:59

Red v White with a 3rd seat potentially light opener......

Sorry, I think the double IS insane and insulting to both partners balancing abilities.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#16 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-March-11, 10:21

I agree with those who dislike the initial takeout double. Well over half our hand is the AK of the opening suit: how many tricks are we developing in spades? The reason we like Aces and Kings, and usually love the combo, is that possession of high cards in a suit enhances the ability to turn low cards in that suit into winners. So the AK in spades are not pulling their weight. This is a truly bad 11 count, with zero desire to play in almost any 4 card side suit held by our passed hand partner. Doubling is horrific.

By contrast, 5is merely misguided, and may be caused by poor methods or a lack of understanding at this level. West cannot comfortably pass 4. I'm not saying that he 'has to bid', should double be penalty. He may be playing in a partnership in which double would be taken as penalty. As others have noted, this isn't the usual use of double by advanced players: it is more commonly played as 'cards' or 'transferable values', basically announcing ownership of the hand and willing to defend if partner lacks 'extra' offensive values (which can be shape or hcp or both) and willing to compete to the 5-level otherwise.

The reason that double now usually has the 'cards' meaning is exactly the sort of dilemma that W faced here over 4. He has way too much to want to pass and not enough to insist upon the 5-level.

If double was penalty for this partnership then West can't be blamed for not doubling. He might have chosen a conservative pass, or an aggressive 4N as two places to play, but that latter call wouldn't make the end result any more palatable.

So E was definitely, imo, at fault and West was either at fault for not doubling or a victim of poor methods/lack of knowledge if double was penalty.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#17 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2013-March-11, 11:17

While the decision to make a t/o X at these colors with that hand is dubious, most of the blame goes to west for his horrible 5 bid. Just how does west expect 5 to be a close to a fav to make? These are most certainly the wrong colors to be sac'ing at the 5 level and certainly from west's hand it is possible to see that 4 may not make.

#18 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-March-11, 11:26

View Postneilkaz, on 2013-March-11, 11:17, said:

While the decision to make a t/o X at these colors with that hand is dubious, most of the blame goes to west for his horrible 5 bid. Just how does west expect 5 to be a close to a fav to make? These are most certainly the wrong colors to be sac'ing at the 5 level and certainly from west's hand it is possible to see that 4 may not make.

Give partner what he rates to have: xx and 12 HCP in the other 3. On many of these layouts 5C has play. I mean -- if partner has his bid, it's a 30 point deck, of which we have at least 21, and partner's most likely shape gives us a double fit with one loser in spades.

I still think dbl to show cards is best, but I don't think 5C is out in left field -- especially absent a "dbl = cards" agreement.

I hate east's TOX though.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#19 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2013-March-11, 11:31

Assigning blame, while fun for the blameless, isn't a constructive activity and focuses too much on a single deal.

The question you want to ask is bidding 5 red vs. white on this specific hand a good idea opposite a whole set of hands that have this auction. I like pass and 4NT better, but I really like a value showing X if the opponents are playing a modern style.

Likewise your partner could ask if P-P-1-X is a good move on a whole set of hands.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#20 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-11, 12:02

View Postglen, on 2013-March-11, 11:31, said:

Likewise your partner could ask if P-P-1-X is a good move on a whole set of hands.

Yabut. Double at imps, these colours and position is so far out there that blaming pard 100% for the 5 bid (instead of the above approach) is north of ludicrous.

Your partnership principles (ask, don't tell) are bang on but this one breaks all of them.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users