Would you buy either of these?

#1 User is offline   Rosewall 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:reading
    current events
    tennis

Posted 2013-March-01, 07:22

I'm basically brand new to the game. I purchased A. Grant's 'Bridge Basics 1' computer program and have started using it. Through Amazon and EBay I have some bridge books on order as well.

Would it be worthwhile to get Grant's version of 'Bridge Baron 2000' or 'Jack 5'?
"Like most weak men, he prided himself on never changing one's mind." -W. Somerset Maugham

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-01, 07:49

Welcome to our little hobby :)

Unfortunately I can't help much with software recommendations. Maybe try here.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   Rosewall 

• Pip
    current events
    tennis

Posted 2013-March-01, 08:07

Thanks, Bill.

I had already DL'd that free software.

Honestly, I just checked some of these forums, and I'm surprised that there is not much activity here. I was looking closely at one particular thread, and noticed that the last post there was from @ 2 years ago... :( Do you know of other more active bridge forums?
"Like most weak men, he prided himself on never changing one's mind." -W. Somerset Maugham

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-March-01, 08:13

View PostRosewall, on 2013-March-01, 08:07, said:

Thanks, Bill.

I had already DL'd that free software.

Honestly, I just checked some of these forums, and I'm surprised that there is not much activity here. I was looking closely at one particular thread, and noticed that the last post there was from @ 2 years ago... :( Do you know of other more active bridge forums?

Couple quick comments

1. I own a copy of Jack. Can't recommend it highly enough

2. BBF is almost certainly the most active bridge forum out there. The only other one which comes close these days is bridgewinners. There are definiely some sub forums that don't see much activity, but the active sub forums are very active
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-01, 08:32

Agree, there are dozens (hundreds?) of new posts here every day. Maybe try using the "new content" link near the top right, under the search box.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   Rosewall 

• Pip
    current events
    tennis

Posted 2013-March-01, 08:47

Ok, I guess my judgement was rash based on that particular thread's lack of activity. I'll be here today reading, but much of this is over my head at this point.

Considering that I'm a novice, would you get Grant's version of Bridge Master 2000 rather than Jack 5, or another bridge teaching/playing program first?

Thanks, guys... keep it coming.

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-01, 08:52

You could probably buy a year's subscription to the BIL for considerably less and get considerably more out of it. The BIL is the Beginner/Intermediate Lounge on BBO and provides teaching and guidance for players just like you. This will also have the benefit of getting to know other players who are learning who may become potential partners to practise with.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-01, 10:27

Hi,

I dont know Grants version of Bridge Master 2000, but I know Bridge Master, and I do know Jack (I own Jack 4).

Both programs serve different purposes, Bridge Master is teaching software, you get deals, which are like puzzels,
and you have to solve them, a finite number.
Jack is a Bridge playing program with unlimited deals, Jack has a teaching function, but this function is basically
a wake up call, do you remember that you should have done ...

If possible get both.

And try to find a regular partner to practice with, Bridge is a partnership game, the social acpect of the game is
very important.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#9 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-01, 11:43

Audrey Grant's Bridge Master 2000 is the same as Bridge Master 2000, only none of the hands are above Intermediate-Advanced difficulty. While I have never used it, for declarer play and defense play, I would bet it is worthwhile.

I would also recommend the BIL, they have mentors there, the website itself has plenty of articles, and you can meet someone through the website and the free lessons some of the people give.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#10 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2013-March-01, 23:19

What are you trying to do? Bridge Master is trying to teach you good cardplay with interactive examples that you can 'solve' get an explanation for etc.

Jack is a game that lets you play with and against the computer. It's a strong player - but you can get almost as strong a player here if you're as cheap as I am: http://www.wbridge5.com/ - site is french, so direct download here: http://www.wbridge5....idge5_setup.exe

Personally I'get wbridge5 'cause it's free and plays a fairly 'standard' system with a strong no trump and 5 card majors, and consider buying BM2000 if you want.

#11 User is offline   Rosewall 

• Pip
    current events
    tennis

Posted 2013-March-02, 11:54

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

I'm in a dangerous, spendthrift mood the last few days, This means I'll probably get both Grant's version of Bridge Master 2000 and Jack 5. And I just DL'd and installed 'wbridge5'.

We will join BIL as well. It is so reasonably priced.

#12 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-03, 08:12

View PostRosewall, on 2013-March-02, 11:54, said:

I'm in a dangerous, spendthrift mood the last few days,

In that case there are a few pros who frequent these forums .. if you are interested in private lessons .. Posted Image
-gwnn

#13 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-March-03, 08:53

View PostRosewall, on 2013-March-02, 11:54, said:

I'm in a dangerous, spendthrift mood the last few days...

Would you be interested in purchasing a large bridge near Brooklyn?
Guaranteed cash flow. Highly motivated seller.
Alderaan delenda est

#14 User is offline   Rosewall 

• Pip
    current events
    tennis

Posted 2013-March-05, 13:25

Well, I did it... I knew I would. Bought Bridge Master 2000 and Jack 5. Sheesh......

To make up for that I'll need to stay away from 'Panera Bread' for the rest of this month...

Thanks for all the input here. I'm looking forward to playing this game.

#15 User is offline   Rosewall 

• Pip
    current events
    tennis

Posted 2013-March-05, 13:30

View Postbillw55, on 2013-March-03, 08:12, said:

In that case there are a few pros who frequent these forums .. if you are interested in private lessons .. Posted Image

Thanks. When I hit the Powerball!

#16 User is offline   Rosewall 

• Pip
    current events
    tennis

Posted 2013-March-05, 13:33

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-March-03, 08:53, said:

Would you be interested in purchasing a large bridge near Brooklyn?
Guaranteed cash flow. Highly motivated seller.

I think Wall Street already sold that, didn't they? :)

#17 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-07, 07:48

View PostRosewall, on 2013-March-05, 13:25, said:

Thanks for all the input here. I'm looking forward to playing this game.

Good! And don't be shy at the forums either. Plenty of good advice to be had here in the B/N forum.

One bit of said advice - don't hesitate to post questions here about feedback you may get from other low to mid level players. There are a great many hacks who consider themselves quite sage, and are all too eager to dispense their advice/criticism, blissfully unaware of how wrong they often are. In my experience, bad feedback is one of the biggest hurdles in learning to play bridge well. So by all means, come get the straight dope from the real experts who post here.

Good luck and enjoy :)
-gwnn

#18 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2013-March-07, 08:52

View PostCthulhu D, on 2013-March-01, 23:19, said:

Personally I'get wbridge5 'cause it's free and plays a fairly 'standard' system with a strong no trump and 5 card majors, and consider buying BM2000 if you want.

I have given up on wbridge5 I think - it has strange bugs. First I installed it under wine. It played fast but completely random, like opening 1NT with seven points and a void, that sort of things. Then I installed it on the same computer under windows 7. It played better but very slowly, and it once it let me play te opponents hand for the first four tricks and then swithched me back to the same seat I was in during the auction.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#19 User is offline   patroclo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-09, 19:01

View PostRosewall, on 2013-March-01, 07:22, said:

I'm basically brand new to the game. I purchased A. Grant's 'Bridge Basics 1' computer program and have started using it. Through Amazon and EBay I have some bridge books on order as well.

Would it be worthwhile to get Grant's version of 'Bridge Baron 2000' or 'Jack 5'?

Maybe you intend bridge master 2000. Don't buy it.
Wbridge5 is sometime better to jack and it is free.
Download double dummy solver it is free. and you may to look again at the hand that you have played in bbo. And see where you play wrong.

#20 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-March-10, 13:17

If you have an iPad iBridgeBaron appears to be quite a good program (I say appears because: 1. I'm no expert and 2. I haven't had it that long.)

It plays most system and conventions and you can tweak it as appropriate. I have it set up for 2/1 Advanced and play it mainly in teams mode. This gives you a good comparison for your bidding and play. You can also set it to double dummy. It also appears to defend quite well.

I'll probably get some flack for this but I have found playing with GIB helpful because you can see what all the bids mean. If you play in GIB tourneys you always get the best hand and play for North if they are declarer, which is good for practicing card play. The ability to review your scores at the end is very helpful as you can step through your opponents bidding and play to see how hey got their tops.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users