BBO Discussion Forums: So what does that card mean/ask for? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So what does that card mean/ask for? UK (Scotland)

#1 User is offline   jules101 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-February-18, 21:12

A frequent occurrence....

Scenario 1

A card is led, and declarer asks:

"What does that card show/mean?"

We explain our methods - eg "We lead 2nd and 4th, so low from good suit, and 2nd from poor suits".

"Yes, but...." says declarer "So what does that card mean she has?"

Scenario 2

A card is discarded, and declarer asks:

"What does THAT card ask for?"

We explain our methods (in detail), and explain to declarer that s/he must interpret the card accordingly.

"Yes, but...." says declarer "So what does that card mean she has/whats/etc?"

Reply "A low card asks for X, and a high card asks for Y, it's up to you to interpret whether this is high or low, etc etc"

"Yes, but ..." says declarer "Is that a high card or a low card?"

We explain methods again... and find ourselves in Groundhog day.

Perhaps I'm being uncharitable, but it seems to me such persistent questions are designed to get the partner of person on lead/or discarding to interpret the card and thus to "reveal" info about their own hand which is unauthorised to declarer.

Questions to forum:

• Are we correct in to just repeatedly repeat our methods here?

• Is there a section in Rule Book which deals with this? [I can't locate it]?

• If not in the Rules then where can one locate guidance about what declarer is/isn't entitled to ask an receive answers too.

Seeking advice on handling this situation. Thanks in anticipation.

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-18, 22:49

No, repeating your methods over and over again is pointless. Call the director. It's his job to tell you (and in this case, more importantly, your opponents) what the rules are.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-19, 06:24

I'm guessing the legal angle is "asking whether a card is high or low is (nearly) equivalent to asking what other cards in the suit the player holds; the Laws don't say you're allowed to ask what cards someone has in their hand; therefore such a question is not permitted". But do the Laws explicitly say you're not allowed to ask what cards someone's holding, or that one is not obliged to answer such a question? I don't think they do, but may be wrong.

But in any case common sense should dictate you're not obliged to reveal the cards in your hand. You are giving the correct answers; if they don't listen, then like blackshoe says, call the TD.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-19, 06:52

If you don't think that the club's directors cope with this well, then you need to speak to the club management.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   jules101 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-19, 07:22

Can Ahydra help me find the relevant section in the Rule book.

Calling director is good idea, but the cheif and persistent offender is the TD (a club director who directs twice a week).

I am, therefore, trying to find a strategy to deal with him.

I've suggested on many occasions he's not entitled to ask these questions so why does he keep doing it. Answer "Because it's fun", and then he asks again, and again.

We don't divulge info in answer to requests. I suspect, however, everyone else in the room divulges the answers to his questions because if the director is asking then surely he is entitled to ask, etc etc. [Then other players in turn believe they are entitled to ask such questions, and on and on, and on we go!]

Strategies are welcome.

PS Some might say a pox on all your houses, and and go play elsewhere. That's easy to say, but if playing options are limited one has to try and cope with whatever is on offer I'm afraid.

A good idea to speak with club management as PaulG suggests, but bridge clubs here rely on voluntary TDs however flawed they might be. If someone turns up twice a week, week in, week out, then I'm suspecting "management" are not very interested in "rocking the boat".

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-19, 07:25

"I cannot tell you whether that is meant as a high card or a low card since it depends on what is held in the other hands. I can tell you that a high card means X and a low card means Y." (you might also want to add what they do without a preference and any other special cases)

Or, answering "Is that a high card or a low one?", "I could only answer that by looking at her/his hand."
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-19, 07:38

Yeah, this happens to me once in a while. Generally I will reword my explanation once, twice if feeling charitable. After that I just repeat the exact same words. That clues them in that nothing more is forthcoming.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-19, 07:59

This is the best I can find (Law 20F):

At his turn to play from his hand or from dummy
declarer may request an explanation of a defender’s
call or card-play understandings.

It doesn't say you can request anything else (e.g. whether you think the card is high or low). But one might argue it doesn't explicitly prohibit such a question. Suppose you see a sign saying "parking allowed on Mondays". Does that mean you can park there on a Tuesday?

The White Book [20.3] notes that "[the player] is not being asked to say what is in his hand", albeit in reference to bids rather than signals. Perhaps it might be worth adding another section to the White Book to clarify that a player can only be asked to divulge his signalling understandings and never how he would interpret a specific card.

ahydra

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-February-19, 11:03

There are some pairs that have rules about which spot card ranges constitute "high", "middle", and "low". If that's your agreement, you obviously should disclose it.

But for most players, it just depends on the cards you have available -- a 7 is low if you hold 987, it's high if you hold 75. And I would just explain "it depends on the other cards he has in the suit".

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-February-19, 15:54

The other day somebody asked me "how do you take your partner's bid?" I replied "usually with a grain of salt". B-)
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-February-19, 16:59

I always have a stock reply: "I am not going to interpret partner's signal for you, but I'm happy to disclose our carding agreements, which are..." If they persist, then I explain that I am under no obligation to do anything other than share our agreements, not my interpretation of what partner's card means.
Chris Gibson

#12 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-19, 17:09

I always like the looks I get when the 2 is played and when asked, I answer "if it's a high card, it means... if it's low, it means..."

having said that, I had to play the encouraging 3, with the 2 on the board (right-side-up carding) this weekend, because playing the next higher card would concede a trick. So yeah.

Yes, the smartarse answer is "if you tell me which spots you hold, I'll be able to tell you." That usually gets the point across when nothing else will; but it's not legal at the table, under several proprieties Laws.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#13 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-20, 13:04

"it depends"
Carding agreements should be taken as guidelines, not a legally binding contract.
If I choose to play fake count then declarer has no recourse.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-February-20, 15:13

paua, on 2013-February-20, 13:04, said:

"it depends"
Carding agreements should be taken as guidelines, not a legally binding contract.
If I choose to play fake count then declarer has no recourse.

The question and answer are regarding your agreements. Whether partner is signalling honestly in a particular case is a separate issue, and not relevant to disclosure.

#15 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2013-February-26, 08:13

mycroft, on 2013-February-19, 17:09, said:

I always like the looks I get when the 2 is played and when asked, I answer "if it's a high card, it means... if it's low, it means..."

It is, of course, the correct answer, because opponents have a right to know what choices you had.

We play Roman discards: when asked what the 6 means I answer "We play that an odd card, especially a small odd card, encourages in the suit, and an even card is Lavinthal between the other two suits".
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#16 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-February-27, 16:30

jules101, on 2013-February-18, 21:12, said:

"Yes, but ..." says declarer "Is that a high card or a low card?"

"If you show me your hand I will be able to tell you" usualy works when all else has failed.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#17 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-February-28, 02:43

#1 Missing in the explanation is, what does "good" / "bad" suit mean.

#2 You can also add, that a "6" (or whatever) is considered high most of the time, and a card lower
than that is considered low.
The partnership will have a cut off point implicit defined, it will have an agreement, what high
spot card is considered an honor, common is to treat the "10" as honor, but your agreement set may
vary.
If you see 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 on the table, you may also point out, that he may not have a lower one.

On a general note: You not only have the responsibility to explain your methods, you have the
responsibility to explain your methods in such a way, that the person who receives the information
understands your explanation.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#18 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-28, 03:27

jules101, on 2013-February-19, 07:22, said:

Calling director is good idea, but the cheif and persistent offender is the TD (a club director who directs twice a week).

I am, therefore, trying to find a strategy to deal with him.

Find a strong player whom the TD trusts and talk to him. (Or someone perceived to be strong.) He will be in a better position to convince the TD.
If there isn't anyone like that, try some humour. "If you can tell me what your spots are, I can tell you whether it's a low card or a high card."
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#19 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-February-28, 03:33

"If you don't like my answer, call the director. If you don't want to call the director, shut up and keep playing." (phrased slightly more politely if you wish)

edit: aha, the director is actually the guy who's doing this. In that case, you could try to switch clubs?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-February-28, 09:17

P_Marlowe, on 2013-February-28, 02:43, said:

common is to treat the "10" as honor

That's good, since the 10 is an honor. B-)
--------------------

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users