BBO Discussion Forums: Not reaching a slam - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Not reaching a slam ATB

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2013-February-11, 18:24

I don't think 4 was a good bid, but what about the pass over it by North? Does the 5 neccessarily deny a diamond control or show a first round heart control?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2013-February-11, 19:52

...Perhaps 4 might work better than the jump to 4. Partner now has the space to cue 4 before East continues to 5. This lets South bid 5 instead of Double, and North will wake up...

3 is also a live possibility, but partner might be in the dark about support.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2013-February-11, 21:55

North pass over South's 4 seems OK because North has no idea how good is South's raise to 4 . It's quite possible that South might be pushing a little in bidding 4 .

East's 5 has tossed a monkey wrench into the ability of North/South to cue. At that level, any cues ought to be first round controls if not previously shown. In the given auction, East's 5 bid has proved effective as South can't know for sure that North holds K.

My agreement with my best partner is that any 4 level cue of an opponent's suit must show a control. So after East's 3 bid, South could show a forcing raise and control by bidding 4 . Now after a 4 cue by North and 5 by East, South could cue 5 . North will at least have a shot at bidding slam in that case.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-12, 01:17

S could bid 4 fit jump first up, but that really depends what you overcall 1 on, ours are sounder than most. 4 is also possible.

#5 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-February-12, 02:28

4 is not a strong raise, so you can't blame North for passing. South has a clear cuebid, so blame goes to South.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#6 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-12, 03:48

View PostFree, on 2013-February-12, 02:28, said:

4 is not a strong raise, so you can't blame North for passing. South has a clear cuebid, so blame goes to South.

Dubious and muddled thinking.

At the point of the 3 bid, how can South anticipate that there are zero losers in the majors and to boot North will fill the gap in diamonds as well?
As North, I would expect more than 3 little trumps and 2 bullets from a cuebid at this level after a simple one level overcall at all white.
Claiming that a jump to 4 is weak and therefor you should cuebid on any game invitational hand after a one-level overcall will either lead to no play slams or the cuebid will be almost meaningless to overcaller and you will miss many slams in spite of the cuebid.
(At the table with only one hand in view that is, double dummy such cuebids work perfectly of course)

Whatever 4 is, it must show something to deem it profitable to contract for ten tricks opposite a one level overcall.
For starters the club ace was not needed for slam and without it the South hand would have hardly have been worth a 4 bid let alone a cuebid.
If South is weak with long spades, almost impossible when you hold a strong seven card spade suit yourself, opponents will not let you play in 4 anyway.
For all North knows opponents might be cold for 7 after the 4 bid.
Accordingly North pass of 4 is dubious, reinforced by the fact that afterwards North bid 5 anyway.

I squarely blame North.

However, I would also not have overcalled 1 but 4 with the North hand.
That way I might have missed slam too, but at least I get compensation when the preempt works and conditions for that are excellent after RHO opened 1.
I feel strongly giving opponents room when holding such a hand is losing Bridge strategy and as this example shows the claim that going slowly will give you a better potential to find your own best contract is hogwash.

The bidding might have gone

Rainer Herrmann

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-12, 04:07

South was crazy, he deceived partner, and then when opponents gave him a chance to recover denied it.

South has to make a stronger move, both 4 and 4 are far better than 4. I think 4 stands out because he has a very low ODR hand. 4 creates a forcing pass while 4 doesn't. And he knows opponents are not buying it undoubled having 2 aces.

Regardless of what 4x south picks the grand is automatic for north who will use a splinter void showing bid (if you play exclusion this is a 4 followed by 5 bid)

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-12, 12:18

I think I like 4S rather than 1S by North, leading to rhm's auction. We do want to be in grand, but that looks almost impossible to find given you need to discover the eight-card diamond fit to the AKQ.

ahydra

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-12, 13:50

A lot depends on the meaning of the 3 bid. If it was fit showing South is well worth a 4 cue.

When my pard bids 4 in an auction like this I just hope to get out for down 2.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-12, 14:46

I dislike the 4s bid it is entirely too preemptive for a hand with this much well placed power.
If the 3c bid was a fit jump the knowledge that p is short in hearts surely makes this hand seem
even more robust than ever and it calls for a 4c bid. If the 3c bid was not a fi jump than 3h seems
better to me. 4d fit jump takes up too much room but can work as long as p is allowed to cue bid
4h w/o a club control.

#11 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-13, 03:00

View Postggwhiz, on 2013-February-12, 13:50, said:

When my pard bids 4 in an auction like this I just hope to get out for down 2.

I am pretty sure if that is the case you do not fulfill your obligation of full disclosure to your opponents, which is plain cheating.
If informed by a proper alert, they would never let you play 4 undoubled and play Pass as forcing, which would make a mockery of the 4 bid.
Shows what nonsense such remarks are.

Rainer Herrmann

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-February-13, 03:22

View Postrhm, on 2013-February-13, 03:00, said:

I am pretty sure if that is the case you do not fulfill your obligation of full disclosure to your opponents, which is plain cheating.
If informed by a proper alert, they would never let you play 4 undoubled and play Pass as forcing, which would make a mockery of the 4 bid.
Shows what nonsense such remarks are.

Rainer Herrmann

What alert ? it's above 3N, you are not allowed to alert it here.

#13 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-13, 03:36

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-February-13, 03:22, said:

What alert ? it's above 3N, you are not allowed to alert it here.

With all respect Sir, if you are playing in a region, where full disclosure is not an objective and you can have undisclosed agreements you are playing a different game.
Under the Bridge proprieties this is cheating.

Rainer Herrmann

#14 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-February-13, 03:36

Slam makes, because you have a double fit, which neith side was aware of.

If you have a fit jump avalaible, than you show the diamonds and the spade fit,
as long as the South fits your fit jump agreements.

I dont like the 4S bid, unless your 1S overcalls are sounder than average, given
your inv. strength and your 4 hearts, you may go down in 4S, when they would have
let you play 3S.

But maybe the player did not want to try out 3D, and playing IMPs overbidding
is a reasonable strategy, so 4S is ok.
And if this is the case, you missed the slame also because of a lack of more
detailed agreements.

On further thinking: 5H by North should show a void and unexpected spade length,
make this 6 1/2.
Due to this South could see the double fit in diamonds, see the prime cards.

But maybe Norths bids similar with the same hand, without the King of diamonds,
because he did not want to make a preemptive bid, for whatever reasons, maybe
he has a 6043, instead of the 7033.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#15 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-February-13, 03:44

View Postrhm, on 2013-February-13, 03:36, said:

With all respect Sir, if you are playing in a region, where full disclosure is not an objective and you can have undisclosed agreements you are playing a different game.

Rainer Herrmann

This is a ridiculous comment - as ridiculous as blaming Nth for failing to bid on. In a jurisdiction where bids over 3NT are not alertable, your "proper alert" would in fact be tantamount to cheating.
Anyway, 4S is a poor bid showing more spades and fewer values than the Sth hand actually held.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#16 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-13, 03:49

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2013-February-13, 03:36, said:

Slam makes, because you have a double fit, which neith side was aware of.

If you have a fit jump avalaible, than you show the diamonds and the spade fit,
as long as the South fits your fit jump agreements.

I dont like the 4S bid, unless your 1S overcalls are sounder than average, given
your inv. strength and your 4 hearts, you may go down in 4S, when they would have
let you play 3S.

But maybe the player did not want to try out 3D, and playing IMPs overbidding is
a reasonable strategy, so 4S is ok.
And if this is the case, you missed the slame also because of a lack of more detailed
agreements.

With kind regards
Marlowe

This is about right.
A reasonable alternative to 4 is 3, an invitation to 4. Overcaller can sign off in 3.
4 is a slam try, a huge overbid with the South hand.

Rainer Herrmann

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-February-13, 03:50

View Postrhm, on 2013-February-13, 03:36, said:

Rainer Herrmann

Not at all, if they ask about the 4 bid you have to tell them but until they do, you are not allowed to do anything, you are committing an infraction if you do.

#18 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-13, 04:23

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-February-13, 03:50, said:

Not at all, if they ask about the 4 bid you have to tell them but until they do, you are not allowed to do anything, you are committing an infraction if you do.

I do not know under which jurisdiction, you are playing.
I play myself under one, where alerts over 3NT are prohibited when playing without screens, but with an important caveat.
All bids even above 3NT have to be alerted with screens or if they happen on the first round of the bidding and that covers the above case.
The alert procedure is there to make opponents aware of unusual agreements, which I consider you have if you are opting for
"2 down at least" if you bid game immediately by a single jump by an unlimited hand.
Undisclosed agreements should not be part of the game and you should not try to take advantage of them.
If opponents would ask about each and every bid above 3NT every time because you just might have a special agreement is theoretical possible but not practical.
Try that on your next tournament.

Rainer Herrmann

#19 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-February-13, 04:38

View Postrhm, on 2013-February-13, 04:23, said:

I do not know under which jurisdiction, you are playing.
I play myself under one, where alerts over 3NT are prohibited when playing without screens, but with an important caveat.
All bids even above 3NT have to be alerted with screens or if they happen on the first round of the bidding and that covers the above case.
The alert procedure is there to make opponents aware of unusual agreements, which I consider you have if you are opting for
"2 down at least" if you bid game immediately by a single jump by an unlimited hand.
Undisclosed agreements should not be part of the game and you should not try to take advantage of them.
If opponents would ask about each and every bid above 3NT every time because you just might have a special agreement is theoretical possible but not practical.
Try that on your next tournament.

Rainer Herrmann

As it clearly states by the side of my post I come from England so EBU, only opening bids above 3N are alertable.

#20 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-February-13, 04:53

I think that saying a poster who follows their local regulations perfectly is cheating because those regulations do not say what you think they should is completely out of order. Having played under both I personally find the the EBU alerting regulations significantly better than those of the DBV. You probably think that makes me a cheat too, right. You owe Cyberyeti an apology.
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users