• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

which 4NT convention?

#1 User is offline   jerdonald 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-February-05, 16:49

BBO forum,

My partner and I have been playing 1430 RKCB for some time.
He recently suggested we go to 3014 and I would like to
go back to straight Blackwood to simplify things.

I'm sure there will be a lot of opinions here as to
which is best but is there a way to calculate what
bid would be the most useful over many, many hands?

jerryd

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-05, 17:38

Straight Blackwood is pretty much never played by good pairs these days. It leaves you guessing too often. It's not really possible to calculate numbers without any bias. The only "advantages" of straight blackwood is that it's easier to remember and you're less likely to be forced too high. The first advantage is really non-existent if you're already playing RKC as presumably you don't get misunderstandings from using it. As for the other, the problem is more likely to be judgement, for which straight blackwood would remove in some cases, but gives other problems when missing 1 ace (or 1/2 kings for grand). If you are getting too high with RKC, you can either play kickback instead or just learn not to bid 4NT when you can't handle the responses.

As for the 3014 vs 1430 debate, it's personal preference really, 1430 has the theoretical advantage that a 1 key card response is more common than a 0 key card response allowing you to bid 5D as a queen ask when hearts are trumps more often. 3014 is a little more intuitive responses wise (for me anyway).
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2013-February-05, 17:48

It's best to work out cases where an option gains or loses - and yeah, I think that makes the tradeoff something like 1430 is superior when hearts are trumps and you need to find out about the queen, and 0314 is better when clubs are trumps, you cannot tolerate an answer of zero key cards from partner, and you have no other way to find things out.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-06, 09:24

If you can only use one of these then 1430 is the best, followed by 3041 with ordinary Blackwood some way behind. The reason is that the 1 or 4 key card response is considerably more likely than 0 or 3. If you specifically take out very strong hands then this changes somewhat, since 3 key cards starts to become common enough to offset the frequency of 1 key card. Thus for very strong hands 3041 is better. A few pairs use this to play 1430 for most hands but switch to 3041 in specific situations. This is probably optimal but not a very good idea (imho) for non-expert partnerships. Therefore I would suggest going with 1430 unless one of you finds 3041 significantly easier to remember, in which case the difference between them is not enough to offset occasional forgets.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-February-06, 10:30

One suggestion in a book on RKCB is to use 3014 when the strong hand is asking (beceause lower responses are more likely), and 1430 when the weak hand is asking. But if the partnership is seriously considering going back to plain Blackwood, this seems like a complication they wouldn't be interested in (when the hands are about equal, you have to remember rules to determine which response structure you're using).

#6 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-06, 10:36

I suspect OP would rather play nothing at all rather than TWO forms of RKCB. Next we'll be sending him a copy of Ken's latest book. The man wants to play something simple - I suggest we let him.

#7 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-February-06, 10:38

If you want to simplify things 4NT as 3041 works pretty well, even with hearts as trumps,
or when a minor is agreed.

In certain situation you will be forced to get the information via Cue Bidding instead of
keycard asking, but it works.

Having the option to ask for the King of trumps, and the Queen of trumps is important,
the specific schema in use is not.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-February-06, 10:50

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2013-February-06, 10:38, said:

Having the option to ask for the King of trumps, and the Queen of trumps is important,
the specific schema in use is not.

Indeed. Bridge magazines occasionally poll champion players on the most important conventions, or ask them about it in interviews, and RKCB is frequently cited for precisely this reason (despite the fact that they also report that Blackwood is one of the most overused conventions by average players).

#9 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-07, 05:00

Stick with 1430, as it is the best simple option, and you are already used to it. When you feel like moving on to something better, look together at minorwood and kickback.

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-February-07, 08:30

Just play whichever method you're most comfortable with. The benefits of one method over another are far less significant than the cost of getting it wrong.

If you and your partner can't agree, offer to swap it for something.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-February-07, 09:18

View Postbarmar, on 2013-February-06, 10:30, said:

One suggestion in a book on RKCB is to use 3014 when the strong hand is asking (beceause lower responses are more likely), and 1430 when the weak hand is asking. But if the partnership is seriously considering going back to plain Blackwood, this seems like a complication they wouldn't be interested in (when the hands are about equal, you have to remember rules to determine which response structure you're using).

Funny. I believe that Kantar recommends exactly the opposite. The default is 1430, but in those rare instances where the weak hand bids RKCB 4NT, the responses are 0314.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-February-07, 09:48

View PostArtK78, on 2013-February-07, 09:18, said:

Funny. I believe that Kantar recommends exactly the opposite. The default is 1430, but in those rare instances where the weak hand bids RKCB 4NT, the responses are 0314.

That's quite possible. I knew he recommended one or the other, but didn't feel like looking up the details, and just tried to figure it out from intuition. Had a 50% chance of guessing right, that's good enough to bid a vul slam.

#13 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-February-08, 12:34

If you don't have strong feelings about which version to play, just play whatever partner wants and make him happy.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#14 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-08, 12:37

Learn kickback. When you can guarantee to have 4 steps available below 5suit, everything becomes a lot easier.

#15 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-09, 05:08

View PostTylerE, on 2013-February-08, 12:37, said:

Learn kickback. When you can guarantee to have 4 steps available below 5suit, everything becomes a lot easier.

As you want to simplify things, you can take advantage of the fact that kickback gives you the same amount of room for responses whatever the suit, and have simple 1,2,3,0 steps in reply for the number of aces. The compression (and confusion) of 3014 or 1430 are not needed...

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-February-09, 07:08

Kickback can be complicated, as it takes a lot of discussion as to when it applies. Unless someone knows of or has written an article about kickback, it might not be the best suggestion for an OP who wants to "simplify things".
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-09, 14:22

I know of an article about kickback. Does that make Tyler's suggestion okay?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#18 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-10, 02:59

1340 3014 kickback... I would advice you to play no blackwood at all for a shor time period, you would see your judgement improved.

#19 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-10, 05:07

View PostFluffy, on 2013-February-10, 02:59, said:

1340 3014 kickback... I would advice you to play no blackwood at all for a shor time period, you would see your judgement improved.

I take the point, but "knowledge" of what aces and kings partner has sure beats "judgement" of them. You need judgement (and agreed methods) to decide when a slam might be a good idea, but then knowledge takes over.

#20 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-February-10, 06:03

Gnasher's advice is good.
Arguably, simpler is better. Whatever else you choose, freeze your decision, for as long as possible, to avoid confusion. .IMO kickback is not that difficult provided that you agree a bid is kickback if it can possibly be kickback.. Also, agree 03/14 or 14/30 once and for all. Consider using an end-signal to disambiguate complex auctions -- it may seem sophisticated but it can actually make things simpler and clearer..

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users