Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Big cards

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-29, 22:46

As an old guy using the old version of BBO I was very glad to hear about big cards in the newest updates.......a big reason I use the old version.

I still use the old version for lobby chat to find teamgames to play. I hope you find a way to overcome that issue in the new versions of BBO.

AGain a big thanks for BBO and all the hard work and time you, Barmar/Uday, and guys/gals put in to improve it.

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-30, 03:34

View Postmike777, on 2013-January-29, 22:46, said:

As an old guy using the old version of BBO I was very glad to hear about big cards in the newest updates.......a big reason I use the old version.

I still use the old version for lobby chat to find teamgames to play. I hope you find a way to overcome that issue in the new versions of BBO.

AGain a big thanks for BBO and all the hard work and time you, Barmar/Uday, and guys/gals put in to improve it.

Finding and forming team games and other improvements coming in the next release. See Fred's post here:
http://www.bridgebas...post__p__701882

#3 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-31, 10:07

I am a long-term user of the web client but I really like the new cards. However I won't be using them because I really dislike the actual layout of the board. The review of the bidding in the top right-hand corner is far too small. It sounds like I want it both ways with big cards and a big bidding box but there does seem to be rather a lot of grey space around the green board.

Otoh, I am delighted to hear about the up and coming changes to team matches, a feature I've been waiting to see on the site for ages and I know I will make full use of. Now if only we could have an option to turn off that horrible *chh*, *chh*, *chh* sound that happens when playing I'll be happy. Seriously it sounds absolutely nothing like cards being played at a table - more like someone trying repeatedly to strike a match.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-31, 10:13

Except for annoying card-snappers, cards being played at a table don't make much of a sound.

Anyway, you can turn off sound in Options. If you're looking for more fine-grained control -- turn off some sounds but not others -- sorry, the web version doesn't have that, and probably never will.

#5 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-31, 10:26

View Postbarmar, on 2013-January-31, 10:13, said:

Except for annoying card-snappers, cards being played at a table don't make much of a sound.

Anyway, you can turn off sound in Options. If you're looking for more fine-grained control -- turn off some sounds but not others -- sorry, the web version doesn't have that, and probably never will.

Sorry - should have been clearer. I am not after realism in cardplay noises; I just cannot believe that between silence and this horrible sandpaper noise BBO chose the latter. I don't think anyone finds this noise enjoyable to listen to, but I am happy to be proven wrong (anyone?) And yes, I know I can turn off all sounds but I find the *it's your turn* sound extremely useful. It is a shame to hear that BBO will probably never have the option to have the best of both worlds. :(
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#6 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-31, 16:01

View Postbroze, on 2013-January-31, 10:07, said:

I am a long-term user of the web client but I really like the new cards. However I won't be using them because I really dislike the actual layout of the board. The review of the bidding in the top right-hand corner is far too small. It sounds like I want it both ways with big cards and a big bidding box but there does seem to be rather a lot of grey space around the green board.

Can't you drag the borders around to make the auction review bigger? It does make the card area smaller, but I can control both to get them sizes I want.

#7 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-31, 17:18

Hmm. No. It seems to stay the same size whatever I do.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-31, 17:30

The bidding diagram gets bigger if you switch to hand diagrams instead of pictures of cards. The horizontal layout of the card pictures takes up more space and leaves less room for the bidding.

#9 User is offline   Arawen0 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-September-04, 08:38

Hi, I use the old version of BBO, but seems I did something, because the graphical cards, the ones that resemble actual cards, are NOW, much more small than before. I look and look around, and I am unabe to turn the cards BIGGER. There is an option that says "BIG HAND", but it's always GREYED, no matter how many conbinations of tickling and untickling other related options I try to modify, so it'll become an available option. Otherwise, the cards remain small, I'm old, cannot play with uh small cards, and the other setting for cards, the simbolic array, is bigger, but gives me a headache, definitely NOT accustomed to it, and I'm afraid I will never be. Actual cards are much better, but no matter what I do in options, they remain small. I function from a 13 or 14 inches scree laptop with 800x600 resolution, so that's big, but not enough for the cards.

PLEASE, HELP, WHAT SHOULD I DO TO TURN A TABLE TO MAX SIZES IN ALL THINGS,
BUT SPECIALLY, CARDS.

TENKS.

#10 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-04, 08:56

View PostArawen0, on 2016-September-04, 08:38, said:

Hi, I use the old version of BBO, but seems I did something, because the graphical cards, the ones that resemble actual cards, are NOW, much more small than before. I look and look around, and I am unabe to turn the cards BIGGER. There is an option that says "BIG HAND", but it's always GREYED, no matter how many conbinations of tickling and untickling other related options I try to modify, so it'll become an available option. Otherwise, the cards remain small, I'm old, cannot play with uh small cards, and the other setting for cards, the simbolic array, is bigger, but gives me a headache, definitely NOT accustomed to it, and I'm afraid I will never be. Actual cards are much better, but no matter what I do in options, they remain small. I function from a 13 or 14 inches scree laptop with 800x600 resolution, so that's big, but not enough for the cards.

PLEASE, HELP, WHAT SHOULD I DO TO TURN A TABLE TO MAX SIZES IN ALL THINGS,
BUT SPECIALLY, CARDS.

TENKS.

Join a table as a kibitzer. That should activate the big cards option so you can turn it on.

#11 User is offline   Arawen0 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-September-28, 16:39

well, that seemed like a prospective good answer, but unfortunately, the Icon Ace of Spades (in symbol) / Ace of Spades (card),was always available to me, it changes between LARGE Symbols (using them now, getting accustomed to them) and actual cards. However, I did what you suggested, joined a free table as a 'voyeur' employed said icon to turn to cards back, and they remained, still remain, small. Isn't there an option or a combination of option settings to display REAL CARDS BIGGER, or something perhaps I'm overlooking? I just cannot find a way to get back to BIG CARDS, and this is not screen elated, my screen still preserves display, sizes and resolution all this time as it was while I saw BIG CARDS.

Seems like an impossible task, and I'm in deep *****.

tenks for trying to help though.

#12 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-28, 18:37

@Arewen0 - Did you click on the options symbol, (the yellow thing that looks like a gear)? There is 1 checkbox for Big Deal that should be checked. There is another section for Deck that has a Big checkbox that should also be checked. If that doesn't work, try to uninstall the BBO windows client, and reinstall the software.

#13 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-30, 12:41

The problem is your resolution; "Big deal" and then the "Big" card option can only be selected if you have a min of 1080x720 approximately.

Can you increase your laptop's resolution a little at all?

Once you have a min of the 1080x720 resolution, you will be able to follow Diana's instructions to make cards look bigger in 2 steps.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users