Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid this slam

#1 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-21, 16:30

Do it using 2/1, normal gadgets for I/A players, nothing too exotic.

x = support double.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-21, 16:45

Well I wouldn't have started from here, really hate 1 as most of the time we play diamonds and partner thinks his potential Kx(x) is good. Playing what I play I'm between a 2N response (5-8 5+) and 2 (10+ with 4, 9+ with 5, may contain 4M). I'd probably bid the inverted 2 at matchpoints as we're not playing in hearts after a 2N response.

That said would have started with 2N with the N hand playing what I play (good 19-21).

6 is reasonable but not that good unless I'm missing something, suspect you're going to have to find 9.

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 09:36

View Postdwar0123, on 2013-January-21, 16:30, said:

x = support double.

first the majors then nt then the minors

start with a simple 2d--we are a longgggg way from 5d and if p cannot make a move over
2d we have not missed anything. After 2d 3c which should show at most a partial spade stop
and extra values and "stuff in clubs for nt".

After that start we (assuming a 15-17 1NT) p probably has a balanced hand with around 18 and at
most the spade Q (possibly QJ doubleton but quiet opps have a ton of spades) our combined 23 hcp
(16 from p + our 7) outside of spades is just short of the 24/30 + a spade void) we aim for for 6d. On
top of that we have the dia Q and heart J both of questionable use for slam bidding and it appears
the best course of action is to avoid slam unless p has more stuff. The problem now is how to bid the
hand properly. If we jump to 5d (our value bid) p will have no way of proceeding to 6 with 2 losing
spades. IMO we start with 4s which tells p slam is possible and of our short spade status. It also
tells p we were not strong enough to go to slam on our own so P should realize they need more than the
minimum extra values to go to six. Here p should subside in 5d and that is sufficient.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-January-22, 10:40

View Postgszes, on 2013-January-22, 09:36, said:

first the majors then nt then the minors

start with a simple 2d--we are a longgggg way from 5d and if p cannot make a move over
2d we have not missed anything. After 2d 3c which should show at most a partial spade stop
and extra values and "stuff in clubs for nt".

I disagree utterly with your evaluation, I'm shocked partner has only 2 spades given the non raise by opps, xxxx, A109, AKxxx, x would appear to be a strong odds on slam opposite an 11 count, make the hearts AQ10 and you're on a finesse for a grand opposite 13.

#5 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 18:30

View Postdwar0123, on 2013-January-21, 16:30, said:

x = support double.

3D-jump with our 10+ card fit and a void in opp's suit .
Partner has at least 4 cards since he has shown only 3 cards .
[The only time partner would open 1D with 3 cards is with a 4 4 3 2 ] .

1D - ( p ) - 1H - ( 1S )

DBL - 3D
3H ( cue ) - 3S ( cue )
4D! ( Minorwood ) - 5S! ( 1 or 3 and void )
6D
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#6 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 18:47

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-January-21, 16:45, said:

6 is reasonable but not that good unless I'm missing something, suspect you're going to have to find 9.

You've missed something. On a spade lead, eliminate and play the heart jack. Assuming trumps 2-1 (and some 3-0), you make it when the 9 is onside, plus when East has KQ9(x) Q9, K9, 9x, 9, so the nine finds itself.

As to the bidding, opponents who stop in One Spade with 11 trumps freak me out.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-January-23, 05:26

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-January-22, 18:47, said:

You've missed something. On a spade lead, eliminate and play the heart jack. Assuming trumps 2-1 (and some 3-0), you make it when the 9 is onside, plus when East has KQ9(x) Q9, K9, 9x, 9, so the nine finds itself.

As to the bidding, opponents who stop in One Spade with 11 trumps freak me out.

It's not quite that good, I presume you're at least partially eliminating the clubs too. If E has Jxxx and 9x (unless you want to lose to Kx/Qx) you run out of trumps (2 rounds of trumps, 2 spade ruffs, club ruff and another trump to get back to lead 8) so there's no endplay.

And I'm sure when N takes the decision whether to bid slam he knows the hearts are J875 rather than 9853 (plus the J) and if S takes the decision he knows about 10, this is not one to bid with certainty.

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-23, 06:45

I'd start with

dbl-2

Now it depends on if you can understand a non-jump splinter or not, if you can 3 is easy, if not I might bid 3 as south to point that I have few spades

dbl-2
2-3
4-4 (void)
4NT-5m (1)

or alternatively

dbl-2
2-3
4-

there is some confussionat this point, it is unclear if 5 or 6 wil be the final contract, wich is fine since slam makes easilly because KQ are onside (I think East gotta have a yarborough to stay silent)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users