Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

kibitz chat will not work for mr

#1 User is offline   pamdou 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-January-08, 18:47

I am unable to chat in kibbitz. I am using BBO app with a kindle fire. I open chat box...click on kibitz...type my comment...hit send. I get a Msg that says spectator chat is not available use private chat. (Paraphrasing)

Any suggestions?

#2 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-09, 06:56

Maybe you were watching a Vugraph - there kibs cannot chat.

Karl

#3 User is offline   pamdou 

• Pip

Posted 2013-January-09, 08:13

View Postmink, on 2013-January-09, 06:56, said:

Maybe you were watching a Vugraph - there kibs cannot chat.

Karl

Other kibs were chatting...I wondered if it was a kindle thing so tried on my Pc..same thing. Are there settings somewhere in bbl options I need to set?

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-09, 11:45

What kind of table was it? I just noticed that at a team game table, the mobile client has "Tourney" in the menu of chat destinations; if I choose this, I get the message "Only authorized users (usually, support staff and directors) can chat to a tournament in progress." Is it possible you did this rather than chat to Kibitzers?

I've reported this to Fred. The mobile client correctly removes "Table" from the destinations, but not "Tourney"..

#5 User is offline   pamdou 

• Pip

Posted 2013-January-09, 11:58

View Postbarmar, on 2013-January-09, 11:45, said:

What kind of table was it? I just noticed that at a team game table, the mobile client has "Tourney" in the menu of chat destinations; if I choose this, I get the message "Only authorized users (usually, support staff and directors) can chat to a tournament in progress." Is it possible you did this rather than chat to Kibitzers?

I've reported this to Fred. The mobile client correctly removes "Table" from the destinations, but not "Tourney"..

It was a team game on the top of the list. There were maybe 700 others kib'ing. I tried to kib many many times in this sequence... I clicked on chat Icon..... selected "kibitzer" to the left of where text line/window is.... type d "test"...then clicked send. Message said spectator chat not enabled, please use private.

#6 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-09, 19:05

Hi Pamdou

At tables with a lot of kibs, very new BBO names will not be able to chat unless the table host knows/wants to write something special in the description area to allow you to chat.

The table host who wants to allow new BBOers to chat should write +anchat+ in the table description to enable chat for everyone.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#7 User is offline   pamdou 

• Pip

Posted 2013-January-09, 19:48

Thank you so much... I actually wondered if it might be something like that... can you tell me when I will not be considered new? I've only come back to bridge recently. So I really enjoy watching to refresh my memory. LOL I left the game about 10 years ago when it became more competitive than fun. Many thanks again.

(I would not ask a table to open Chat with the anchat command..but thanks for the info)

This post has been edited by pamdou: 2013-January-09, 19:52

#8 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2013-January-09, 20:03

The new part depends on a few variables and I don't actually know...Rule of thumb is, I think, after a month of coming into BBO you'll no longer be considered newbie.

Also, at most tables, you will be able to chat as a kib. And even if you cannot chat as a kib, you should be able to send private chat to different people too, like the table host, to ask him if he can write +anchat+

Hope it helps :)
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-January-10, 11:38

You will stop being considered a newbie when you have 100 logins and have been a member for 2 weeks.

#10 User is offline   dillydream 

• Pip

Posted 2013-January-14, 03:58

View Postbarmar, on 2013-January-10, 11:38, said:

You will stop being considered a newbie when you have 100 logins and have been a member for 2 weeks.

Thanks for clarifying the +anchat+. Does this apply in private clubs also? i.e. IAC, BIL

Mo

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 05:41

View Postdillydream, on 2013-January-14, 03:58, said:

Thanks for clarifying the +anchat+. Does this apply in private clubs also? i.e. IAC, BIL

Mo

Yes, it applies everywhere.

#12 User is offline   alanrick 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-10, 06:30

Dillydream,
If you are in BILlies retreat and +anchat+ is not part of the table description you can politely ask the table host to add it.
It's BIL policy to be friendly to newcomers but unfortunately every time the table host changes, the description is automatically deleted.
Alan
www.facebook.com/bilbridge

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-January-10, 22:41

I have come across the +slow+ description, and now this +anchat+.
Is there documented somewhere a complete list of +properties+?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#14 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2014-January-10, 22:58

there aren't that many.
All of these can be placed anywhere in the description field of a table. This is how I tend to implement minor changes without bothering FG for a new version of the client.

+anchat+
While, normally, newbie usernames are not allowed to chat->all specs when there are more than a handful of specs.. ( think of some nutjob at a JEC match with a megaphone that can reach 800 people at once ), this overrides that restriction.
Private chat not affected.

+silentspecs+
This squelches all chat from all specs -> all specs. Private chat not affected.

-blah- ( where blah is a username, not literally -blah- ) will prevent username blah from chatting to all specs. Useful when you decide that user=blah is being disruptive.
So: -uday-john-jane- will prevent all 3 users from being able to chat to all specs. Again, private chat not affected.

+slow+
This doubles the amt. of time the system allows before whining about slow play ( and eventually removing the slow player ). Not all tables fall under this sort of oversight in the first place, just open tables in the Main Bridge Club and Relaxed Bridge Club

I don't think there are any more that you'd care about.

#15 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-January-11, 01:37

Just curious - does this mean that you plan to build these into the interface proper when you do get around to a new release?
BTW - this thread does not appear when I filter by My Content "view all topics 1eyedjack has posted in or started". Would there be a reason for that?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-January-11, 13:24

We generally use this mechanism for features that we expect to be used only rarely, by power users, so we don't add it to the UI. It's also the only way to create new table options that can be set by users of the old version.

#17 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-January-11, 13:53

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-January-11, 01:37, said:

BTW - this thread does not appear when I filter by My Content "view all topics 1eyedjack has posted in or started". Would there be a reason for that?

Seems like there's some delay, but I'm not sure of the cause. When I "View all posts by barmar", the most recent one is my response in the "NOT FULL SCREEN" thread, but not my posts in this thread.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users