• You cannot reply to this topic

2nd & 2

#221 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-January-18, 21:04

We're on to Arizona.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#222 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-18, 21:47

I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW
OK
bed

#223 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-18, 22:21

View Postjjbrr, on 2015-January-18, 21:47, said:

I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW

MY FAMILY IS SO SAD

#224 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-18, 22:38

View Postmike777, on 2015-January-18, 22:21, said:

MY FAMILY IS SO SAD

IM SO SORRY.
OK
bed

#225 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-18, 23:43

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-January-18, 20:43, said:

So, do we take Brady out for the final 10 minutes? Not related to not running up the score, but to protect the 37yo QB?

Should do, but it's always been a Belichick thing to run up the score/"play hard for the entire game." As he is the greatest coach ever I will blindly believe that the benefits of this outweigh the small chance of injury, since it's impossible to quantify the gain. Unlike in game playcalling/timeout usage/4th down decisions, it is a lot harder to understand the gains of these kinds of things on a team and their discipline.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#226 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-19, 08:12

Regarding momentum: even if it were a real thing (I disagree! Well, mostly.), I just cannot believe a team would gain momentum from scoring two field goals from the one yard line. A drive ending at the one yard line with a field goal feels like ending with a failure. And it feels that way because it does end with a failure. No team will feel really good about it.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#227 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-25, 19:33

Wait, what? The Pro Bowl has a rule that you MUST play a 4-3 base defense and can't have more than 4 DBs on the field? The offense gets to use 3 WRs and a TE who is surely not selected on the basis of his blocking skills and the other team can't even match in a nickel? That is so stupid.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#228 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-25, 20:02

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-January-25, 19:33, said:

Wait, what? The Pro Bowl has a rule that you MUST play a 4-3 base defense and can't have more than 4 DBs on the field? The offense gets to use 3 WRs and a TE who is surely not selected on the basis of his blocking skills and the other team can't even match in a nickel? That is so stupid.

I mean, it is kinda funny to watch Clay Matthews play nickelback, but if the point of the Pro Bowl is to see the best players at their respective positions, well...
    -- Bertrand Russell

#229 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-26, 12:33

Well, they aren't really playing football in the Pro Bowl anyway, so I see no reason this should bother me.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#230 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-26, 13:35

Isn't this like the no-defense-allowed NBA All-Star game, where the lowest score for either team in the past 5 years was 138?

#231 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-January-26, 14:03

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-January-26, 13:35, said:

Isn't this like the no-defense-allowed NBA All-Star game, where the lowest score for either team in the past 5 years was 138?

Or the laughable NHL all-star game, which resulted in a 17-12 final score. I think the losing team missed a 2-point coversion somewhere along the way.

#232 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-01, 21:18

Lol at Pete Carroll
And you guys thought McCarthy was bad?

Seattle should go for a RB in offseason, apparently they don't have anybody they can trust to go 1 yard in 3 tries, lmfao ...
Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#233 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-February-01, 21:33

Best catch by Kerse in the history of the Super Bowl followed by the worst play call. Followed still by the ugliest brawl.

Nobody should be happy or proud.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#234 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-01, 21:39

and someone should tell Duron Harmon he's allowed to get his uniform dirty...

#235 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2015-February-01, 21:53

View Postandrei, on 2015-February-01, 21:18, said:

Lol at Pete Carroll
And you guys thought McCarthy was bad?

Seattle should go for a RB in offseason, apparently they don't have anybody they can trust to go 1 yard in 3 tries, lmfao ...

The play clock was 26 seconds and they had one timeout left. They could never have run three more times.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#236 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-01, 22:01

View PostPhil, on 2015-February-01, 21:33, said:

Best catch by Kerse in the history of the Super Bowl followed by the worst play call. Followed still by the ugliest brawl.

Nobody should be happy or proud.

It was a great catch by Kearse but honestly Duron Harmon should have broken it up, I am indeed not proud of that. The brawl, though? Come on, you expect to be able to punch Gronk in the head with no retaliation? Not gonna happen, sorry.

The referees should definitely not be proud. It was clearly roughing the kicker (for a first down, rather than running into the kicker which was declined) and I'm pretty sure "setting a pick for Doug Baldwin" is not in the Back Judge's job description.

All in all I would still say it was a great win for the Patriots and well deserved!
    -- Bertrand Russell

#237 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-01, 23:05

The previous two SBs cost us about $1.25 million from kickoff returns, but I think we ended up on top this year. Feels good.
OK
bed

#238 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-02, 02:07

View Postcherdano, on 2015-February-01, 21:53, said:

The play clock was 26 seconds and they had one timeout left. They could never have run three more times.

That is true - IF you forget that Russell Wilson has plenty of mobility. Though, the announcer at the time said they had 2 timeouts, not one (I literally only watched the last 2 minutes).

Play 1 - run it with Lynch, timeout. Play 2 - fake run / bootleg pass. Play 3 - run again.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#239 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2015-February-02, 05:26

Ok, I'll go and out myself as a defender of the worst playcall ever.

They had three plays to run with 26 seconds left, but only one timeout. So one of them had to be a pass. If you run on second down, then everyone knows that third-down has to be a pass (or else you won't get a 4th-down play off). On the other hand, if you throw an incomplete pass on second down, and run it in on 3rd down, then you have taken about 6 seconds more off the game clock - not irrelevant given NE has two timeouts and just needs to get a field goal.

Now look at a
vine of the actual play: Patriots are in man coverage. Lockette is faking a run outside, then cutting inside for the slant. Butler has to not buy on the fake, and then still cover a little more ground than Lockette to beat him to the spot, since he first has to stay deep enough to avoid the pick by Kearse/Revis. In fact, he only has a chance to do that because Revis blocks Kearse so effectively that they are a little more in the way of Lockette than in the way of Butler.

How often do you expect this to happen? Butler is an undrafted rookie who came in as a backup, and used to play Division II football in college... I mean, he didn't even know he should go down in the endzone after an interception at the goal line.

#240 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2015-February-02, 05:28

View Postchasetb, on 2015-February-02, 02:07, said:

Play 2 - fake run / bootleg pass.

That's a great "fake" run in an obvious passing situation.

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users