BBO Discussion Forums: Beginners Guide to signaling and Giving Count - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beginners Guide to signaling and Giving Count

#21 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-14, 13:49

View PostPhil, on 2012-March-14, 13:47, said:

Wow, blew the dust off of this sarcophagus.

This could have been a pinned thread though.

It's featured in the BBO News.

#22 User is offline   klozetia 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Universe, music but not from radio or TV. this music i finded after long search, from classic by jazz true rock to Frank Zappa, like books, history, sport and anything other with idea to something new and betters.

My favorit music Frank Zappa said ""Why do you necessarily have to be wrong just because a few million people think you are?"

Posted 2012-August-03, 17:12

hey :)
really ? your lead against 3nt from 4 cards is higher without sequence ? with 10 is to accept yet but from J9xx lead J only making mix in head your part , try like all 4th and your part will count by use rule we all good knows :)

View PostEarlPurple, on 2004-June-30, 08:19, said:

These lists are useful, though I think the hands you displayed are not the simplest examples. (This is intended for beginners).

Also, I would encourage beginners (as well as any other players) not to go into "signal-mania". Not every card has to be a signal. If I follow 3-6-7 instead of 3-7-6 I am not necessarily signalling anything. I may vary the order so as not to help declarer, particularly with a higher sequence like JTx.

Here I will give a simple example of why lavinthal-style discards are a good thing.

You're defending 3NT after the auction 1NT pass 3NT, and you lead the SJ.

[space] [space] [space] [space] [space] [space] [sp] Axx
[space] [space] [space] [space] [space] [space] [he] Qxx
[space] [space] [space] [space] [space] [space] [di] QJxxx
[space] [space] [space] [space] [space] [space] [cl] Jx

[sp] J9xx
[he] xxx
[di] Axx
[cl] xxx

You try a spade lead, which goes to your partner's queen and declarer's king, and declarer starts playing diamonds (king from hand first). You hold up, not because you can block off dummy, but because you want to get a signal from partner.

Second round your partner shows out - so his first diamond can't be a signal!.

Partner's discard should here tell you what to lead. You may need to cash out fast. Maybe he has AKQx(x) in clubs or AKQx(x) in hearts. Or perhaps he has stoppers in both hearts and clubs and wants spades continued, so you can set up tricks.

(Some examples)

Partner's (whole) hand is: Qxxx Axx x Axxxx

You must continue spades and your side will get 2 spades and 3 other aces. But if partner has thrown a spade, declarer will hold up the next round and your side will get just 1 spade trick and 3 aces.

Partner's (whole) hand is: Qxxx AKJx x xxxx
You must lead a heart and grab those tricks now.

Partner's (whole) hand is: Qxxx xxx x AKQxx
A club lead for 2 off

#23 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-06, 06:35

I am interested as to why this thread was featured given that there were 2 recent threads on similar themes (and no doubt countless others since 2004):-
http://www.bridgebas...fense-attitude/
http://www.bridgebas...uit-preference/

Also, once it was known that this thread was going to be featured why noone bothered to move it to the N/B forum in advance. After all the title does say "Beginner's Guide to..."
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#24 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-August-06, 07:46

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-August-06, 06:35, said:

I am interested as to why this thread was featured given that there were 2 recent threads on similar themes (and no doubt countless others since 2004):-
http://www.bridgebas...fense-attitude/
http://www.bridgebas...uit-preference/

Also, once it was known that this thread was going to be featured why noone bothered to move it to the N/B forum in advance. After all the title does say "Beginner's Guide to..."

I just picked one to cover the basics. It links players to the Forums too so they can run a search if they want to find out more.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users